1. Noodleguy

Noodleguy New Member

Tell me baby, what's your story?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Noodleguy, Jan 18, 2009.

That's just a lyric of my favorite song which I found to be appropriate to a writer's forum...and which I included in my signature. And which I made the title of this thread in an effort to seek non-conformity and originality (and because I could think of nothing better.)

Well, hello there. I go by my nickname of Noodle, which I thanklessly obtained due to my love of Spaghetti and all forms of pasta. Naturally my love of noodles drew me to the Pastafarian faith, as you can see from my avatar. I am an economics and political science student at the University of Rochester, where I spend most of my time avoiding doing any actual work.

My experiences as a writer go back to when I was about 6 years old. I recently found one of my old stories underneath a desk in my old room, in fact. It consisted of a Baboon (spelled Babboonn...I had a tendency to get carried away with letters,) a valiant Knight, and a Dragon all setting off to defeat an Evil Wizzard. It was about 1 page long. Hopefully my writing has progressed a bit since then, although I did find that story very entertaining when I found it. Perhaps not entertaining for the reasons I would have thought, but oh well. Since then I have participated in NaNoWrimo multiple times (and never gotten past 30K words) and written on various sites for various projects. I tend to write fantasy and science fiction when I write long fiction, and I tend to write very strange things when I write short stories.

My favorite author is Terry Pratchett, my favorite book is The Stand by Steven King, my favorite band is the Red Hot Chili Peppers, my favorite cheese is American and my favorite Celebrity is Stephen Colbert. My political views are those of a Classic Liberal, which is a bit like a libertarian but far less annoying and with a distinct lack of tweed jackets.

I'm pretty sure that you now know more about me than most of my closest friends. Congratulations!

Anyway, I write very frequently, and I hope to post some of my stuff here. My mother is an english teacher, and I think some of her joy in reading other people's writing and helping them with it has passed down to me...so I plan on doing some reviewing as well. Well then. Noodle at your service!

2. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Finally, someone else who, if not from Rochester, at least lives there!

Welcome man, enjoy your stay, and remember; review lots and lots!

3. Noodleguy

Noodleguy New Member

Dude! I am from Rochester! That's insane.

Go figure :D Wow, weird twist of fate to meet someone from such a small city, eh?

Thanks for the welcome too :)

4. Jack

Jack New Member

Hey Noodleguy! Welcome to WF!

WoW~ Nice introduction, by seeing this, I will be sure to review your work!
    >Good Job< (I love reading long descriptive messages :D)

I LOVE speghetti (I just had that for supper! LOL) and
    A liberal eh... we'll see about that... hehe

Anyway, nice to meet you!
    Enjoy your time here!

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Noodle, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

6. Noodleguy

Noodleguy New Member

Thanks Jack! I wrote everything I felt was necessay to know about myself. And, hehe, I did say CLASSIC liberal...so it may be a bit different than you are thinking. Certainly not the folk who strut around nowadays claiming to be liberals. Pah. But this isn't the place for a political debate :)

Thanks to Cogito too. I fully intend on doing quite a bit of reviewing as well: it's something I enjoy almost as much as writing itself :) Those contests look like fun too. Although I don't have much of a hand for poetry...Oh, and I haven't done much more than skim the rules just yet. I'll go do that now.

7. Sabreur

Yeah, us modern liberals are all social democrats. Which are like commies, but without the crazy! ;)

8. Noodleguy

Noodleguy New Member

Ahaha! Commies without the crazy. I like that quote so much I very well may steal it. And it's true, modern liberals aren't quite liberals...it's a bit of a misnomer. Ah well. I have to say I think I'm a bit closer to you liberals than I am to the conservatives...meh, well I'm in the middle of the aisle. Sometimes. Ah well. I look forward to encountering you guys in the Lounge discussing politics some time ;)

9. Jack

Jack New Member

Oh yeah! Politics all the way!
    Conservatives Rule!

ALICIA: Don't you start discussing politics here Jack
    JACK: Sorry, I just had to let it out...
    ALICIA: The lounge is the proper place to 'let it out'
    JACK: Ah you right.... We'll have a huge debate soon (Don't you worry Noddleguy and sabreur :p).

As Noodleguy and Sabreur leaves, he secretly laughs behind their backs. hehehe.

10. Sabreur

Bah, I scoff at you and your "trickle-down" economics! Scoff, I say!

11. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Welcome to the forums!