Tell me, in all honesty....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Trace, Dec 9, 2010.

?

Do ghosts exist?

Poll closed Dec 9, 2011.
  1. Yes

44.4%
  2. No

55.6%
  1. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

No for me, though I think I might have ticked the 'yes' button by accident. Wasn't my fault, though. The ghost in my house moved the cursor right as I went to click my choice. :D

I'm actually open to the possibility, but it would take an enourmous ammount of evidence to sway me. Basically, there are too many questions that seldom get asked; Do all who die end up this way? If so, how come so few are seen? Who-- if anyone-- can see them and why? If not all who die become ghosts, then what are the circumstances that lead to it? Who-- if anyone-- decides if those circumstances have been met? Are some areas more prone to ghosts than others? How? Why? etc... etc...

One thing to keep in mind, is that the human brain is spectacular at trying to put things that make no sense at the time, into terms that we can understand. Things that go bump in the night suddenly invoke all sorts of terrible fears and anxieties of how the world is about to "get you" even though the only thing out there is the wind and the trees.

Unless, of course, there really is an ax-murderer outside your window. :eek:

2. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

The problem is that I have a scientific mind, and ghosts are terribly unscientific. Not that they can't exist, just that there is no way to test them (like God). So I guess that I COULD believe, but not until there is repeatable evidence of them. Until that day, I shall always click 'no'.

3. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

I've always wanted to believe that there is more out there than just us. But I simply can't. It all seems too idealistic.

4. wolfi

wolfi New Member

I think you can prove them, how ever the problem is that no one will belive this proof and say
    "Hoax"

The videos are many many times a hoax
    but if you got out and go to a place by your self
    you can test it
    unlike god (part of me thinks we should put "Yet")
    so its not that you cant test it
    its that its not practical to
    and no one will acept your proof or they will acept almost anything

5. TokyoVigilante

TokyoVigilante New Member

The only problem is that most evidence has a simpler, more logical explaination. There are numerous cases of UFOs and Saucers where even the harshest skeptics can't explain them away, and I'm sure ghosts are no different.

I think the mindset of someone looking to prove Ghosts are real needs to be in the right place or else that effects how the evidence is accepted.

Person "A" is out to prove Ghosts are real=probably not very constructive mindset.

Person "B" is out to categorise strange phenomenon and scrutinise them to the tiniest detail.=respectable way of going about it.

6. LordKyleOfEarth

No one will accept it because there is nothing to accept. Static on a tape/screen could be from any number of sources, not just a ghost. A moving object too, can become animated by many non-ghost sources.

Like I said, there is just no scientific way to test it. Not that they cannot exist, just that there is no way to prove that they do within the parameters of science.

7. wolfi

wolfi New Member

Let's just say i disagree with you, and leave it at that

8. LordKyleOfEarth

I'm not sure if you understand what I mean when I say "non-scientific". I'm not saying that you cannot go and try to experience something. I'm saying that there is no way to form a repeatable experiment, with no outside influences, that shows without a doubt that something is true or not.

If I lived in a 'haunted' house and walked around with a camera on my head, filming every flashing light, slamming door, every moving shadow, and noise in the night, it would still not be scientific. There could be dozens of reasons the lights flashed, that sound could be form one of a hundred sources, a door slamming shut can be explained away as a differential in air pressure. And the 'events' are never repeatable. There is no way to really test something that only happens 'occasionally, in some area, when you are not watching'.

That is why ghosts are unscientific, there is no way to test their existence, because there is no way to form an experiment to study them.

9. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

The night of my Mum's death (and a couple of nights following it), some really weird things happened that made me question whether spirits (or ghosts) exist or not. Of course I can't definitively say that spirits/ghosts exist, but I fully acknowledge that I've experienced things that I can't explain.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

someone [i shouldn't have to say who!] said it best centuries ago:

"There are more things in heaven and earth, horatio........"

11. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I'm not really a believer in anything that can not be scientifically proven, I'm very skeptic about everything in life, but I won't say yes or no on this topic.

I was at a friends house once and we witnessed a few things that we have never been able to explain, like a ornament leaping off a shelf and smashing at a wall. It was very random and to this day, we have no explanation for it what so ever.

An aunt of mine used to have things moved around her house quite a lot, in an old house she lived in many, many years ago now, and she could never explain how or why the objects were moved. She would carefully place certain objects in very specific places every day, and in the morning they were moved. She always said that maybe she had been sleep walking, but this we will never know.

I'm not saying these incidents were caused by the unknown, ghosts, etc. I am just saying that to this day, we have no logical explanation for these events.

With ghostly figures people think they see, I at times, feel that it is our subconscious wishing so desperately to see people we have lost, that we miss so dearly, that we manifest these images as label them as ghostly figures, just to be able to try and hold onto the person we have lost. It is highly plausible, however, it is also highly plausible that ghosts do infact exist, as there is no way we can actually prove if they do exist or not.

You will never be able to get a straight answer on their existence, because the fact of the matter is, it can not be proved if they do exist or not.

12. write_star

write_star New Member

I personally don't think so, but then again, I'm not a scientist, sooo...

13. Newfable

Newfable New Member

Some things in this existence, despite what everyone else would want, defies conventional and logical explanation. We may get very close to describing what happened with logical and reasonable means, but something about it, whatever it is, still escapes our understanding.