1. Reximus

Reximus New Member

Term for half-demon half-human

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Reximus, Jan 23, 2010.

I have a character that is a half demon and when he is mentioned in my novel as "half demon," "half demon" it gets old and bland. Halfbreed can be used but its vague and un-specific.

I want a term similair in concept like damphir which is half-human half-vampire.

I looked online and in the end came up blank for a good term.

A mention of any terms in any mythology that refers to half-human half-demon would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :-D.

2. Ged

Ged New Member

Rekkonarre. :p

Just kidding. Try something that ends in "aimon" or "emon". Adraimon, Rethremon. Sorry, I suck at these.

[For the unknowing, the Rekkonarre are the half-demon half-humans from Carol Berg's Rai Kirah books]

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A Pelosi.

4. Doug J

Doug J Active Member

LOVE IT!

But Rex - Cog has a good idea here - instead of something that comes from ancient lore - create a term that winks at the audience w. a modern twist - but perhaps sounds ancient. A thought:

Cowellab (Simon Cowell and Paula Abdoul sp?)
    RosieBorac (obvious)
    BuffAng (Buffy/Angel)

Any help?

5. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

Try "Baphomet" and see where it leads you. Demons are often depicted as physically part human in some way (rather than starting with a human and mixing in a demon (which would fall more toward posession, in my mind).

6. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Now, now Cog...no political controversy allowed...although, that was a damn funny reply! LOL

On a more serious note to the OP, it might be fun as a writer to construct your own new term for such creatures...homophirs, demonoids, half-soles.

7. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

I agree. Get creative and make your own term up! It will be fun.

8. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Because I am a big nerd I play Dungeons and Dragons, there is a playable race called Tieflings that are part human/demon.

It may have just been a name recently invented for the gaming world, but it has become popularized, and may become more familiar in the fantasy and fiction world. Keep your eyes open until you can think of a better name.

Also; half-fiend or something along those lines, Nephalim were biblical offspring of fallen angles.

Baphomet refers to a specific idol, I wouldnt recommend it for a race of beings.

When all else fails, just get inventive - making up your own race name might make you a niche in the fantasy world. (Hobbits for example);)

9. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Well I'm always one for creative words, I tend to make them up for all the creatures I create. But I do know one term from the japanese that describes exactly what your looking for, it's a hanyou. It's literal translation is "Half-demon and half-human".

10. Lionheart

Lionheart New Member

How about calling them the Humara, or Hymara? Mara being both the name of a Demon in Buddhism, and the Norse origin of the term "Nightmare" (night-demon).

1 person likes this.
  11. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

I like that idea

12. JoenSo

JoenSo New Member

A cambion. In medieval legend that's what the offspring of a human and a succubus, or incubus, is called. And since succubuses/incubuses are a kind of demons, I guess you could get away with it. I think cambion is a term in Dungeons & Dragons too.

1 person likes this.
  13. John Bender

John Bender Banned

Deman...?

14. Operaghost

Operaghost New Member

ok, i get the idea of combining things but that comes to close to the brangelina thing for my tastes, (i must admit i don't get the joke for the pelosi reference, nor the "obvious" Rosiborac, are they american things?) But i think its best if you create your own term. after all, there are things in folklore already which are half demon half human which alreayd have names and unless it is one of these then there will be no set rules,

15. Cogito

Nancy Pelosi, current Speaker of the United States House of Representatives.

16. writewizard

writewizard New Member

I was going to sugguest half-demon, half-human, but then again, it's already been done, as has halfbreed. Maybe a demonhuman.

17. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Ooo - Cold shot. Funny as ykw but cold shot.

Yeah. I would go with the idea of creating your own name for your man/demon. You might even find your concept catching on across the globe. (There's always a demand for a good half-demon/half-human, y'know.)

18. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

you guys r all awesome, plus rep for the folklore lesson (I'm a big fan of folklore and mythology, this stuff is golden):p

19. Doug J

Doug J Active Member

The Rosiborac - was a reference to Rosie O'Donnell a very outspoken American actress/talk show host. And our current President in the States - Barack Obama. Both are lighting rods of controversy - you seem to love em or hate em. Had I spelled my suggestion correctly I should have typed Rosibarack.

Okay - not great, I know - but a small suggestion.

20. haha Cog!

I'm a fan of the make it up yourself idea. Then it's really yours.

21. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

Coming up with a good word requires a bit more information.

What is the actual nature of demons in your world? Do they live in hell? Are they brought to earth? How are the half-demons concieved? A demon-born or devilspawn might be a good term for a human male-demon female parentage, whereas it probably wouldn't work so well for the opposite.

Is the world earthly? Does it obey christian rules; that is, heaven, then earth, then hell in descending order? Is there a hell? Are demons red humanoids with wings and tridents and pointy tails, or cthulhu-esque Chaos beasts with rapacious tentacles and odd eyes all over their pustulent, terrible forms? How do they get to earth? Are they summoned? Why are they brought there? Do they break into the world from their own universe? Why bother?

Anyway. I just like to know more before I think of words for things.

22. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

These are fantastic Lionheart. I didn't realise just how difficult this is until I started to put a few names together myself.

Latin for Spirit is Animus and Evil is Malus. I like these but they're hardly original and difficult to extend upon without losing their impact. Perhaps something like

Animatus/Animatis/Anmalus

23. Nackl of Gilmed

Nackl of Gilmed New Member

I insist that the quiet genius of this suggestion be acknowledged.

24. Cogito

I thought deman was only used in the exclamation, "You deman!"

25. Sylvester

Sylvester New Member

Just a suggestion, but

How about a derivative of Demon or Deman such as Daemonesapian, Daemon for short.

I think people called their soul carrying familiars (or whatever they were) in the Golden Compass Daemons.

It would also be good to come up with your own name for them. Possibly one that will be a bit misleading like Phareys (fairies).