1. JosephMarch

JosephMarch Active Member

Is this a gimmick?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by JosephMarch, Apr 18, 2015.

If I write the first sentence of every chapter using the same formula, is it gimmicky?

For example, "The plums were ripe." And every first sentence is "The (noun) was (adjective or verb)."

I was fiddling around with my chapter beginnings and tried to mirror the first sentence of chapter 1,which follows that format. I like it, and when I wrote it wasn't thinking about doing this at all.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

There's nothing wrong with attempting/doing it, as long as it doesn't end out sounding like strained prose to meet the pattern. I suspect many writers wouldn't even notice, but some might and may even appreciate it.

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Worth a try. There's a pretty thin line between "gimmick" and "deliberate use of technique" and I think often you have to write the whole thing before you can decide which side of the line you're on!

4. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

Remember 'to be' is not always the best choice of verb in a sentence.
    I'm not as anti was/were as some people and think that there's lots of good sentences which contain those words, but there will be times that you could have written a more interesting sentence if you'd used a more dynamic verb.
    If you do this and then submit your chapters for critique somewhere, don't be surprised if the main reaction you get is for people to keep missing the pattern and suggesting you reword your sentences in ways which break it.

5. mhb

mhb New Member

I think the best thing you can any young writers can do is be unique. Create your own style. I've read certain styles that are extremely interesting, that had to have seemed risky or odd in the development phase. Give it a shot. The worst that could happen is you decide you don't like it and make a few revisions.

6. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

It is a gimmick by definition. Some gimmicks work well. Yours might.

7. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I would probably never notice. Then again I might and find it amusing.

So I say go for it.

8. Void

Void Senior Member

It's not likely to have any ill effects, but unless there is some actual significance , symbolism, or purpose behind this structure, then it is rather gimmicky. This is a deliberate choice, and so, you should probably have a reason for doing it this way.
    What exactly is the reason? Is there any purpose beyond being a neat "Easter egg"?

Keep in mind, a gimmick isn't inherently bad.