Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

Terrible Debate Techniques (For Forums)

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Jack Asher, Mar 4, 2016.

For the love of me I can't find a list of these anywhere, but we all know what they are. There are the ones we all recognize, ad hominem, strawman, etc.

But then there are techniques that only apply to forum threads. But I can't find any names here, so lets make some. (I know this is some kind of creative exercise, but it's in the debate room for obvious reasons ((the obvious reason is that people who are guilty of these things are going to object to seeing them on this thread))).

I'm not saying that I'm innocent, nor that anyone who posts here is guilty, just that these things exist. Also if some kind of list of these things exists with better names please link the hell out of it.

Thread nuking: This is making a huge post. Writing several thousand words to rebut a 300 word post, line by line. No one is going to read the whole thing, much less make a rebuttal in under an hour, so the thread nuker wins.

Thread Stringing: This really only works for a debate between two people. The stringer waits several days before making a reply to the last post. The person they've been arguing with has moved on with their life and isn't interested in continuing the debate so the thread stringer wins.

Pretend Ignore: At times it's important to let people know that they've been ignored, because telling them is about the opposite of ignoring them. But if you ignore them, you can't see what they say. The best thing to do is stop responding to them, and instead quote and agree with every post that criticizes your "enemy". They can't do anything to engage you, so the Pretend Ignorer wins.

And I'm sure that there are more to think of. Again, a google search has turned up nothing on forum debate dirty tricks. And I'm sure there are ones I've missed (or am guilty of) so...

Thoughts?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

The Hit & Run (a.k.a Molotov Cocktail): A member bored with the lack of napalm in a thread drops in a combustable comment and then departs to take a seat next to the roaring fire that ensues.

Ad populum: A syntactic "work-around" for the ad hominem. A broad, general disparaging statement is made that seems to have no individual direct object, yet is clearly aimed at a particular person.

3. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

You're making it sound worse than it is.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I'm making it sound more innocent than it is.

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Losing track of one's own point. I think wandering sequitur is a good name for it.

You reply to a point, then after a couple exchanges the person who started it drifts off replying to something from your last post as if the beginning of the discussion never occurred.

6. Jack Asher

This is especially underhanded, and people have been banned for it
    Reply Editing: Changing another persons words in the reply of your post, making it look like they said stuff that doesn't appear in their actual post.

Wreybies likes this.
  7. Wreybies

And it's such a foolish move. Every post that is edited even in the slightest contains a history of prior "versions" of that post. If Person B maliciously misquotes Person A, all I have to do is check the post history of Person A's post to see if it ever did actually contain those words. If the answer is no, the community says bye-bye to Person B.

On that note....

Trumping: Never mind editing a post, Trumping is simply inventing a statement or words attributed to another member that were never stated or even hinted at in the first place, relying on the quick pace of an active thread so that other members don't bother to look back and see if this was actually ever said.

T.Trian and KaTrian like this.
  8. 123456789

Wreybies, can you limit the number of words one can make in one post?

9. Wreybies

I cannot. I do not have the keys to those doors.

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

This accounts for a substantial number of debate thread posts at times.

Wreybies likes this.
  11. Wreybies

And that leads me to....

Presumed Sequitur: Similar to Trumping, it is when a presumption is made as to the particular take another member is going to argue on a thing, based on other stances or facts about that person. Like Trumping, it leaves the injured party in a state of having to defend against what is basically a lie, knowing that few will look back to see if there were any actual statements that would support the presumed sequitur.

Example:

"Well, I know you're gay and pro-marriage equality, Wrey, so since you're clearly ultra-Left I take great exception to your stance on the 2nd Amendment, because I know you don't want me to own a gun, and the way you want to disband the military is unpatriotic."

All presumed on the idea that being gay means I must, by default, also lean totally to the left on every other topic that has a Left or Right lean.

Incidentally, I own a Glock 21 and I come from a strong military family....

Raven484 and T.Trian like this.
  12. Wreybies

Butt-Naked Oiled Link Wrestling: Not to be confused with providing evidence for the argument you actually write in your own words, this is when you respond to a post with nothing but a butt-naked link. No words of your own. Just a link.

Example:

"Oh, yeah, well what about this?: www.isweartogodthisprovesmypoint.blog.tumblr.4chan.com"

The tactic here (I guess) is the hope that the person will disdain from following your naked link and leave the conversation or engage someone else. That, or the person posting the naked link is just too lazy to be arsed.

13. GingerCoffee

Someone telling you that you haven't answered their question when you answered it two pages back or you've answered it multiple times.

Raven484 likes this.
  14. 123456789

Pretending to answer a question when you haven't.

This is closely related to never, ever, ever admitting you've been wrong in any argument, not even once. Not even when you must have made over a thousand arguments. You absolutely believe you are always right and are incapable of evolving your opinion.

Raven484 and Lea`Brooks like this.
  15. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Geez @123456789 the latter is terribly unfair to those of us who are right :D

16. GingerCoffee

The way you tell the difference is when the person addresses your answer and explains specifically how it isn't an answer to the question, then they addressed your answer.

Not to be confused with simply disagreeing with the answer.

You know someone is telling you incorrectly that you haven't answered the question you have answered when they ignore your answer and instead repeat the question as if you hadn't answered.

17. GingerCoffee

Which brings up another terrible debate technique: confusing disagreement with lying. Disagreeing with a person is not evidence the person is lying or pretending.

18. 123456789

Here's another one. Claiming your debate opponent hasn't responded to your point, when he has, multiple times.

19. GingerCoffee

Ummmm, that's just what I said. :confused:

20. 123456789

I'm not playing this game with you. Either respond to me in the other thread or don't.

21. GingerCoffee

WTF???

22. Jack Asher

!!!!!!!!!!

23. plothog

plothog Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

Nomadic debating
    A debate which had previously been in one thread suddenly ups roots and shifts into the middle of an entirely different thread.
    Forum users who haven't read the original thread have no idea what is going on.

Raven484, Lea`Brooks and GingerCoffee like this.
  24. Kingtype

Kingtype Always writing or thinking things XD Staff Role Play Moderator Contributor

lol....

This entire thread is so meta.

Its like a horror movie now.....THE DEBATE ROOM HAS BECOME A SELF-AWARE ENTITY!

yellowrose64 likes this.
  25. GingerCoffee

And sometimes even the people in the other thread have no idea what's going on. :bigconfused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.