1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Michael Longley, anyone?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Lemex, May 22, 2014.

I was going to just post something about this guy in the 'What are you reading thread' but that wouldn't feel right considering I read his book in about 20 minutes.

Michael Longley is an Irish poet, considered by the tweed-wearing academic types to be one of the best poets working today. A friend of mine who did a creative writing MA at Newcastle Uni recommended Longley's book 'A Hundred Doors' to me, and I read it on the metro ride back. I have to say, I'm really impressed! His formal skill, and skill with words is excellent.

I can see why he's not a Seamus Heaney, though. Longley's poetry seem very personal to him, and he writes poem after poem about Carrigskeewaun. He even mocks himself for this in a poem in this Hundred Doors collection. Frankly Longley doesn't have the universal appeal of Heaney, I want to say to the man 'No one gives a shit about Carrigskeewaun!' But. When he's not rabbiting on about the place, his poems are absolutely excellent.

Honestly, check this guy out. He's good, when he's not being boring.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I've never heard of him, but I'll keep an eye out for his stuff.

You read his book in only 20 minutes? Was it a really short book?

And what the heck is Carrigskeewaun?

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Yeah, 50 pages. No more than that.

It's a place in Ireland. Apparently noted for being a particularly beautiful part of Ireland.

An example of his poetry:

Michael Longley - A Hundred Doors - Page 2, published by Jonathon Cape.