1. CiaDavis

CiaDavis New Member

Hypothermia

Discussion in 'Research' started by CiaDavis, Dec 5, 2011.

How long does it take to get someone's core temp back up to normal when they are suffering from moderate hypothermia (83 degrees F)?

Thanks!

2. tsuki2000

tsuki2000 New Member

83 F is getting pretty close to severe hypothermia and would mostly likely require the assistance of trained medical professionals to treat correctly. When the core temp gets that cold, you'd want to allow for several hours (probably more in this case) to get it back to normal to prevent heart failure. This is due both to the nature of the treatment (being this close to severe, I'd imagine the patient would have to be hooked up to machines for active internal warming) and risks involved with warming too quickly (heart failure).

Basically, hypothermia at this level would require medical treatment, and medical treatment takes time. Expect any character you intend to go through this to be put out of commission for several days for treatment and recovery.

3. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia

This has good information but doesn't say how long to rewarm.
    I like that this sight offers some side effects of hypothermia, glucose and heart problems

of course, the young and old are more affected by the cold.

Weird, you are likely to find the dead or unconcious hypothermia victim in a tight enclosed space with clothing discarded.

4. CiaDavis

CiaDavis New Member

Thanks! I looked forever online and couldn't find any info on how long it would take to rewarm someone properly.