1. Teviya Abramson

Teviya Abramson Member

A cute little iceberg in the south Atlantic

Teviya's Progress Thread-- The Nanny Files: OPERATION-Whiteout

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Teviya Abramson, Feb 9, 2015.

Hi everyone, and welcome to Teviya's awesome progress thread for the first book in what will hopefully become a series: The Nanny Files: OPERATION- Whiteout! (It's a working title-- if anyone has any suggestions for better titles over the course of this thread, please toss 'em out!)

I'm currently planning/plotting/researching right now, but I did have maybe a couple hundred or so words written before I decided that I didn't like them and deleted them. I have a basic beginning-to-end outline, but I'm also doing a chapter-by-chapter outline, because I have a lot things happening that require knowing the precise time and date of the event, and it's easier to keep track of individual events if I plan them out beforehand.

The basic premise of The Nanny Files is that there is a highly specialized and somewhat covert close protection agency that provides protection for children by pairing them with a young adult "nanny". These nannies are highly trained in all aspects of close protection, as well as in child development, psychology, and education. They protect the children of world leaders, Fortune 500 Company leaders, and diplomats, as well as underage criminal trial witnesses, child actors and recording artists, and children in dangerous circumstances. Every so often, they will assist government agencies in various covert operations by going undercover in situations where their typical agents wouldn't be considered suitable.

OPERATION- Whiteout follows one agent as she goes through training and her first assignment, protecting a little boy who is being stalked after witnessing a serial killer in the act.

I've been playing with this idea for almost a year now, but have only recently really started getting things down on "paper" (or computer screen!). It's my first original work in years-- previously I'd been writing mostly fan fiction, which is much less work.

I want to get my planning/plotting/research done by May 31st, 2015, and a rough draft completed by June 1st, 2016. I'd say sooner, but I'm also working on a degree, and that has to come first. Wish me luck!

2. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

I love the premise. It's awesome when an unsuspecting character can simultaneously kick butt and help the child with his girl problems, or absent parent, or whatever's plaguing him.:agreed:

3. Teviya Abramson

Teviya Abramson Member

Thanks!

Update: I'm chugging along on my scene chart, now that I'm over the block that researching for my training program produced. I haven't gotten to assigning scenes to chapters yet, but if I had to guess, I'd say I'm somewhere in late chapter 2 or early chapter 3.

4. Teviya Abramson

Teviya Abramson Member

Just finished the training program for my agency! Now I can focus completely on the scene chart!! YAYYAAYYAYAAAAA!!

5. Teviya Abramson

Teviya Abramson Member

Hey folks, an update for you: I have started writing, and I am 6,085 words into the first chapter! Woot woot!

Okon and peachalulu like this.
  6. CrowOfCalamity

CrowOfCalamity Member

Dude, I'd totally read that. Sounds awesome. Congratulations on those 6,00o+ words.

7. Teviya Abramson

Teviya Abramson Member

Hey everyone, as you can see by my new signature, I have one chapter down! Hallelujah!

8. Teviya Abramson

Teviya Abramson Member

Hey guys! Once again, I've updated my sig, because it is now official: Whiteout is the final title of the first book of The Nanny Files! I've also worked out titles for the rest of the books in the series, sticking to the theme. What do you think?

9. Teviya Abramson

Teviya Abramson Member

Update: I thought I had finished the first chapter, but I was wrong. I combined the original completed first chapter with what I had of what was to be the second chapter, and I like the flow a lot better. Currently up to 8,888 words!