Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

"Texas teen Ethan Couch gets 10 years' probation for driving drunk, killing 4"

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by 123456789, Dec 15, 2013.

2. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

3. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I'm here to side with you. When I heard this report on CNN, what struck me and left me for words was the term affluenza being used as a defense or at least as a reason/explanation for why this kid got off so lightly. I cannot think of a more literal and direct application of "the rich are above the law" than this. I mean seriously, he couldn't help it because he's rich, thus doesn't know any better?

4. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

This guy deserves a post-term abortion

5. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributing Member Contributor

Affluenza is probably a thing, where people are just so wrapped-up in cotton wool they become detached from reality, but it shouldn't be used as a defence in court any more than one could reasonably defend their bad breath on bacteria rather than the fact they haven't brushed in thirty years. Ultimately he's head of his own lifestyle, and if that lifestyle caused harm to others he should be held accountable.

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  6. Garball

I can't wait for the next pill that can control affluenza.

*warning this drug may cause severe and abrupt changes in reality, nausea, diarrhea, shortness of breath, taking public transit, enjoying a corn dog

Wreybies and Gallowglass like this.
  7. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I guess poor people suffer from pooritis then, huh? They're victims of their poverty? Oh, that's right, no lawyer has ever argued that because their clients can't afford to pay a psychologist to make up such bullshit.

Man, our legal system really sucks, doesn't it? :(

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

wish i could, but i don't see how i can... this country was never big on morality from the moment someone across the 'big water' thought coming here was a good idea... and it's been going steadily downhill ever since... despite its clever camouflage as being the best of the good guys, the guys who run 'the land of opportunity' still restrict the best opportunities for their own use and that of the privileged few... and it will ever be thus, given the base nature of the majority of our species...

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Looks like a bad sentence on its face. I don't know what all the evidence was at sentencing. I guess it would be interesting to go through it to see if there was any good rationale for the judge's sentence, and what effect in any affluence had.

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

What isn't being said re this sentencing is that drunk driving gets an undeserved pass in the legal system in general all the time. I do hope that tragedy will get some attention out of this case.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

when the perp is white middle/upper class, i'd have to agree with you... but for persons of color, and seriously underprivileged whites, that doesn't seem to be true... especially if the victim is white and the driver is not...

like it or not, ours is still an extremely bigoted society that is heavily weighted in favor of the white middle and upper class in all areas of life...

12. GingerCoffee

I'm not sure it's correct to assume race has the same impact on DUI as it does in other areas of the law.

http://www.eji.org/files/raceandsentencing.pdf

The link is copy paste protected so you'll have to read from the link, starting at #3 "...DUI vs Marijuana Possession." While blacks are disproportionately incarcerated for pot, whites are more often incarcerated for DUI compared to the population distribution of both. But it's still unequal, DUI isn't treated seriously until the 4th offense! Pot possession becomes a felony with any past misdemeanor or if the quantity is more than a pittance. If you have a blood alcohol of .08 or .28 the court does not consider it in the charges.

What this says is a whole lot of drunk driving arrests occur compared to pot arrests, but few DUI offenders go to jail compared to how many go to jail for pot.

The total numbers incarcerated still result in serious racial disparity. And, DUI is not taken seriously by the courts, it never has been.

13. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

You're probably right, Ginger, but on the face of it, tell me if I'm wrong to walk away with this message, given the defense used.

If you're rich enough, you can recklessly destroy the lives of common people without consequence. In fact, let's reward him and put him in Newport Beach.

14. We Are Cartographers

We Are Cartographers Active Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  15. GingerCoffee

The sentence sucks in oh so many ways. I'm not trying to lessen that fact. I'm merely wishful someone would notice more than one of the the bigger pictures, the rich get off too often, no question, but also DUI isn't taken seriously enough.

123456789 likes this.
  16. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

People are not equal in skill. Greater skill is worth more money. The legal system, much like the medical system, has a range of skilled professionals. Rich people live longer than poor people because they can afford the highest skilled doctors, also rich people can afford the best lawyers so they get lighter sentences.

17. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

It's not even so much the best lawyers themselves, but it's that they have the ability to pay for "experts" for whatever ludicrous "defense" the lawyers can come up with. If you have an unlimited supply of money, which it appears these parents do, you can afford to find and pay for some doctor or scientist somewhere to come up with a theory, and pay for all the expert testimony and reports to back it up.

This situation can oddly, be reversed in the case of a poor defendant -- with a public defender or whatever lawyer they can find, and are trying to pay as little as possible, yet the prosecution has vastly more resources to be able to put on a case.

I am just disgusted beyond words at this particular case.

18. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Staff Contributor

:O You still had faith in humanity? How did you manage that for so long!!

Yeah, I agree. This whole thing reeks of bull crap, and spits at the idea of justice.

19. Orihalcon

Orihalcon Active Member

How the heck do you guys get by with such a broken juridical system? :( I wouldn't feel comfortable living in such a place.

20. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

States should provide equal funding and payscales for prosecutors and public defenders. Not going to happen any time soon, though.

21. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

One day, when I become rich, I'm going to hire a team of the best lawyers to defend a poor black man for the same crime just to see what happens. If they manage to get him 10 years probation, I'll start believing that this country treats everyone equally.

I can't speak for the others, but I do it by being a white male from a middle-class background.

22. Garball

A black man getting off after killing multiple people?

If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.