1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The Movie/Book/Play/Whatever that you loved and then where like, "Wha?"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Sep 9, 2010.

So, I am trying to get my gumption up to finish the housework I have left to do before my weekend guests arrive (and I am having little luck) and I am watching the movie Alive as my coffee slowly wears off.

I remember being rather impressed by this movie when I saw it yeeeeaaaarrrrss ago.

I'm watching it now and thinking, "Really? I liked this movie? Why?"

Maybe it was all the cute guys, cuz..... I'm not really finding much else to explain my previous point of view.

If you've never seen it, it's a true story about an Uruguayan rugby team that is flying in a plane over the Andes when that plane comes to a rather sudden and unexpected stop in the mountains. People die. Survivors get hungry. Do the math.

Had I survived that actual ordeal, I would be thinking, right now, "This is the movie that chronicles what I went through?"

So, my point to this meander is... Ever had this happen? Love a movie or a book and go back to it years later and think, "What was I thinking?"

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

two come to mind:

The Rameses books by Christian Jacq I devoured them all in like three days and loved them. Then read them again a year later and were like these are rubbish.

The other is a TV show called Only When I Laugh it was a UK comedy show as a child I loved it and was allowed to stay up late to see it lol Anyway it was on a few years back, I settle down all excited and never laughed once.

Oh and any Tom Cruise movie I watched in the eighties only saw about four they were plesant enough now I think they are rubbish.

3. Zane

Zane New Member

I used to be a major pokemon fan, a few years ago.

I had t-shirts, the dvd´s, mangás, dolls, games.....

Now, I just can´t watch it anymore, I lost my interest for the thing. Hmm, probably because I grew up.

I also used to love Slipknot before, but now I can´t stand them =P I prefer more "soft songs" :D

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

When I was a kid, I loved the space opera science fiction of John W. Campbell (The Black Star Passes, The Mightiest Machine, etc.)

They were recently reprinted after being unavailable for decades, so I started reading them to recapture past joys. Oh my dear lord, they are baaaaaad ...

5. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

When I was a wee lad of about eight years of age, I saw a Vampire movie that scared the living daylights out of me. It was called "Salem's Lot".

Many years later, I saw it in the movie rental story and "remembered" it being a "good" horror movie.

After viewing it again I wanted that 2 hours of my life back :(

I guess that as one grows older and more sophisticated in their tastes, their idea of quality tends to change a bit.

6. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Star Wars. Used to love everything about it.

Oh, how times change.

7. becca

becca Contributor Contributor

I too, thought that movie was awesome when I was younger. I watched it again, and wasn't as impressed with it overall. But, with a better sense of maturity, I appriciated it more for what it actually was. People trying to survive. Sometimes things mean more when you get older. When you are young you don't seem to understand the realness of things.

8. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix New Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant
    I share your feelings on Alive Wrey. When I watch it nowadays I want to laugh... but that would be wrong... of course.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I had the EXACT same experience with Salem's Lot. Always remember it as an excellent and scary film from being a young child. Finally went back to watch it when I was around 30 or so, and boy was I disappointed.

10. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Remind me not to watch Salem's Lot and Alive again as an adult lol Naked Civil Servant wasn't as good in my 20s to when I was about 12 either.

11. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I used to really, really like the movie 'Warriors of Virtue' when I was 12 years old. I rewatched it again recently and I was like, 'Yeah, ninja kangaroos, how was this approved for production again?' I won't lie though, I still liked it. Oh, that and power rangers. Re watching episodes of the original on youtube until 3 in the morning, , in my sleep deprived stupor, I'm pretty much like, 'wow, this is all so ridiculous'..

12. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

Power Rangers. Yes. Utterly ridiculous. I don't understand why the Putties pose any sort of threat at all; they just kind of spaz all over the place and make strange noises. Of course I spent years of my youth wanting to be Red Ranger.

13. Eoz Eanj

I know! I appreciated the giant fake fights, in the fake costumes, amidst the even faker set. It's like, can you imagine the damage a megazord and an alien creature would cause the city? Why isn't any of this on the news? Why is everyone seemingly unaware of the power rangers existence? Lol, this is what I miss about being a child - even the most ridiculous things are just accepted because you don't know any better.

Also, I actually wanted to marry the Red Ranger. He was amazing as far as my 10 year old self was concerned.

14. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I'll third Power Rangers. I wanted to be the Pink Ranger. And now I can't understand why I ever liked it...

I haven't rewatched it, but I always loved The Goonies. Then we found out my sister-in-law had never seen it and made her watch it. She said she didn't understand what was so great about it...

15. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Oh god I hated the Power Rangers. When my son wanted to watch them it was like torture.

16. Eoz Eanj

Sorry to have evoked such horrible memories. ; D