Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

Forum gallery

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by lipton_lover, Aug 17, 2009.

This idea isn't mine, I'm stealing it from another forum I used to be an active member of, http://blenderartists.org/forum/. Go there to see this in action.

Pretty much all it is, is a subforum where moderators can move stories at will to, to highlight them. It gives basic recognition to some of the more accomplished members here, and showcases the talent of the forum.

Any thoughts, anyone disagree?
    Nate

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's been brought up before. We don't want to establish any form of Elite here. Of course, we have the winners of the weekly contests, but those are not staff selections.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as merely a forum member, i would have to disagree, for the same reason... i believe we are fortunate that this has always been a site where members can seek and find help, advice, info, and improvement, not a place to set any above the rest, as many other sites do...

our admin and the site owner work diligently and 'above the call of duty' to keep it fair to all and that makes it the best writing site on the web, imo...

love and hugs to all, maia

4. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

I agree in that such a philosophy makes sense, but I'd like to paraphrase something I heard. 'If there are no winners, then we must all be losers'.

The truth is, some members are better than others. I have nothing wrong with being kind to people who aren't as good; that person in most cases, and probably in writing, is me. But people still have to face reality. If they're not good, they're not good. That being said, if there's a community and/or staff picked standard that they can look up to, that may even be helpful. If they're smart, they'll either accept that they're not good and move on, or aspire to be better.

Also, as I understand it, most members here are not published. So this may be their only way to get recognition if they're an outstanding writer.

Nate

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

And that is the kind of attuitude we don't want here.

Everyone who is working hard to improve is a winner. We don't get to be winners by clanbering to the top of a heap of bodies of our associates here.

6. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

But it's not necessarily (and in my opinion not likely) to turn out like that, unless you think writers will act differently from anyone else, like for instance 3D artists in the link in my OP. In that forum, people look up to the better 3D artists and aspire to be like them. No one commits suicide because they aren't as good, they work to improve. And those that are good are very decent about it. They recognize that just because one thing was great, doesn't mean they're above everyone else.

Nate

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry, but i've seen sites where such a hierarchy is established and as a professional editor and long time mentor of all breeds of writers, i have to say those who do the picking, good intentions aside, are not always the best judges of what's good and what's best, since many of the 'winners' i've seen are not even very good writers, much less examples of quality standards for others to follow...

and that's what will happen everywhere you have non-professionals judging their peers... and will even happen in many places where pros do the dirty work...

which is why i wholeheartedly support our admin and mods in resisting pleas to start such stuff here, where no one needs to feel they are competing...

8. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

Well it's obvious I'm not going to change your minds. I still like the idea, but no biggie :)

Cheers, Nate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.