1. RaeRae

RaeRae Member

That Deer in headlights stare

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by RaeRae, May 21, 2012.

Hello all, I have been writing for a while and many of my friends and family luff my works. I had to take a creative writing class at school as part of my Digital Film and Video major and something strange happened. Every time I got in front of the class to reveal my works, I got the deer in headlights blank faced stare from everyone, including the instructor. When she asked for input or critique from my class mates they had none and neither did she. I received a D in the class. I am wondering if my stories and other ideas are so far off the chart that they are mind boggling or that I mixed too many genres. My take is life is not just one kind of genre in itself so I incorporate all.(Science Fiction, Drama, Comedy, Politics, and a little bit of Romance and conspiracy theory). But when someone reads them, they love it. I am confused!!! SHOULD I narrow them down or just hope everyone will catch up with my way of thinking?

2. louis1

louis1 Contributing Member

My take is life is not just one kind of genre in itself so I incorporate all.(Science Fiction, Drama, Comedy, Politics, and a little bit of Romance and conspiracy theory).
    that's sounds like what i'm doing right now.
    I'm not quite sure i understand what you need help with, but if people love reading your stuff, and your only problem is communicating them orally to people maybe, you could read something about log lines or hook lines.

This should help you condence your story ideas in only one line making them much more accessable and less scared deer face inducing.

3. indy5live

indy5live Active Member

Obviously genres will overlap, but it's important to know where your funamental story lies. If I'm writing a psychological thriller it might also sound like a murder mystery but at the end I need to make sure I keep the reader's involved in my character's head and the thought process they're experiencing in the different situation they face...not just 'who did it.' Likewise, in a society of instant satifcation, most readers aren't going to have the patients for a story that tries to cover the whole spectrem of life. The romance might be interested but is it really needed in the story? The sister of the main character having an abortion might add a bit to the character's beliefs but if those beliefs aren't important to establish in the story don't waste the paper. Stay objective and leave all the sidebar stories for the collector's edition.

Edit: Also, you can always overrule your instructor's grade by going to their boss, the dean, and have them overlook the work in comparison to the assignment. In a writing class I took the teacher was a hardcore femanist and always managed to slip in her own little personal objective in with the lessons. So one day I decided to write an anti-women's rights paper to counter her "women are always being underminded my men" speeches. She gave me a solid F on the assignment. I took my paper and the assignment requirements to the Dean and he had the grade corrected to a B. So if you think you were wrongfully graded take it up with a higher authority. Can't be afraid to ask what you did wrong.

4. RaeRae

RaeRae Member

Ahhh...eureka! LOL! I may need to do some major rewrites then. But, that is the fun of writing. How do I know what to keep in since people who have read them like them as they are? Of course, they are not giving me any critiques either so I am in the wind.

5. RaeRae

RaeRae Member

Yes I realized that little insight after I left for a bit. I am just really bad at pitching the story. I need a book or something to guide me hmmm..

6. Trilby

Trilby Contributing Member Contributor

Maybe when you are able to - you should post some of your work on here for critique and see what the forum members make of it.

7. killbill

killbill Contributing Member

Yes, don't jump into any conclusions before you actually receive some constructive criticism. Mixing genre is fine as long as you make me believe in whatever you have written.

8. Bob Magness

Bob Magness Senior Member

Also post what the actual assignment was. While your writing may have been good, you may not have, in the eyes of your instructor, followed the requirements of the assignment. Plenty of great writers have received poor grades for not following instructions.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Too many possible problems to suggest a solution. For all we know, you may have written brilliantly but tanked on presentation before a group.

10. Bluesman

Bluesman Member

It could just be that your presentation was shitty. A lot of people are awkward in front of a crowd, even if it's just a classroom. It makes other people uncomfortable when others are.

Also, ask your teacher to elaborate on the grade. It's your right to know.

11. The Crazy Kakoos

The Crazy Kakoos Member

I don't know your method of presenting, but maybe you are just reading from the paper like a lot of people do?

I am terrible infront of a crowd unless I improvise. If I read from a sheet of paper I come off sounding bland and uninterested. Perhaps, you need to just feel it and wing it while presenting all of your points. It can make you seem more personable that way and thus more engaging. However I often got docked points for not taking things very seriously. I have a personality defect of making light of bad situations or jokes where none need be.

If you it's not your presenting then I'm not sure what is. You should post the assignment. :)

12. RaeRae

RaeRae Member

I get soo excited and nervous when I pitch an idea but I do just wing it and not go by what I write down. As soon as I find them (gotta hunt, I have like four flash drives) I will throw a couple on. But, yeah...I probably am a horrid pitcher.