1. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

That funny little piece in question...

Discussion in 'Erotica' started by Wreybies, Dec 2, 2013.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Firstly, Matwoolf correctly placed it in Erotica because the sex content was too high for anywhere else. Like the Debate Room, occasionally we will have items that don't quite fill the bill, but they need the protection of the given room.

Now, as to the piece itself. Its beautifully written. It's anorexic in its prose, it's smoked a bit of crack in its nervous, jump here, jump there kind of way, and it's gorgeous. The OP has an unusual turn of phrase, no doubt, and an idiolect set on high, but that's great. Pick up anything by Samuel R. Delany and it takes a good ten pages before you get your sea-legs as to his strange manipulation of syntax, but once you've groked it, you want all of it. The other little piece he tossed in the middle of the thread is more poetic than narrative and is intimidatingly well done.

3. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

I find it hard to describe what I feel about Matwolf's work. For me it started with a post. There was just something in the phrasing of it, that drew my attention.

I can't express it the way Wrey does, but I know what I like. I find it helps to be passing familiar. One piece in situ, might not grab you, but perhaps if you take a look at a larger sample. Even on the thread we've been directed from, he provided us with two strikingly different pieces to compare and contrast. The first, I'm still musing on, the second, I loved it the moment I read it.

There's something a bit, Hides his light under a bushel, about Mat. I think the second piece makes that clear. He can be incisive as a scalpel when it comes to his choice of words. He has an ability to play with rhythm and things I can't begin to explain in technical terms.

I think jannert makes a fair point in comparison with Python, in that there's many find the Python amusing when others don't. Perhaps he's bit marmite-y in that, you either love it or hate it. Maybe hate is too strong a word. 'Get' it, perhaps. Even that is not quite what I'm trying say, because that implies that there's something missing from the reader's perception of it, when perhaps it simply comes down to a matter of personal taste.

He has a very individualistic take on things. You pointed out the fact that it comes across as comedic. Certainly he makes me laugh... a lot. But I think, sometimes, the content draws the eye away from just how well written the piece is.

I think you missed the quick guerilla posting of "The Flame" the other day. In typical fashion he threw it up and then took it down again. *Insert the gnashing of mine and jan's teeth right here.* I'd read it before on his blog, but reading it this time round was even better. I was in nothing short of hysterics. I was actually in pain, I laughed so much.

4. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributing Member Contributor

post edited for wit

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013