That Missing Plane

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chicagoliz, Mar 17, 2014.

1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I did say if the search of the current area (where the pings were supposedly heard) is unsuccessful, they should stop.

It would be great if they did find the plane at that location, and I think they are right to give it a go. But if they find nothing there, I think they should consider stopping the search, and at least wait for debris or other evidence to appear. I wouldn't like to see them throwing more money at this search, without some hard evidence to support it.

2. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

I think it says something about the human race that we spend so much time, resources, and money looking for 0.00000003% of our population. We couldn't really care less about an amount of anything that insignificant.

Lewdog likes this.
  3. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Yeah we have politicians that are complaining about giving $189 a month to people in the U.S. for food each month, but are busy writing checks for this much money to find people they know are dead and gone in the middle of the ocean. That really is quite odd.

4. Garball

I didn't say it says something good, just that it says something.

5. Lewdog

Next thing I know you're going to be arguing with me how good of a guy like Gaddafi was, and that Saddam, Hitler, and Vlad the Impaler don't deserve to be playing cribbage in hell together.

6. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

Then what do you say the next time this happens?

The insurers have a huge financial interest in finding the plane; if it turns out to be terrorism or suicide, that could save them the best part of a billion dollars. Boeing have a huge technical, financial and safety interest in finding the plane, in case it turns out to be a fault in the 777 that could happen again. The Chinese and Malaysian governments have a huge political interest in finding the plane.

They're not just going to stop, though they will have to change tactics if they don't find it with the AUV.

minstrel likes this.
  7. Garball

Is cribbage fun? If so, then yes, I will argue that point. Maybe playing pool with long, unchalked cues in a really small room and the wrong number of balls.

8. Lewdog

I don't know if it is fun or not, but they do play using a little wood board and pegs, and ironically wood floats. They could play snooker together, they were awfully good at screwing other people while they were alive.

9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Fair enough. I won't argue. It's just that if they spend the best part of a billion dollars and still don't find the plane...? I'm not sure that will be money well spent, but I can understand the motivation.

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I doubt they'll search anywhere except where the pings were detected. They'd have nothing to go on as to where to search.

11. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

Obviously it was swallowed by the ancient aliens, who are under Illuminati control. DUH.

12. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I got an interesting conspiracy theory about this, from a friend in Australia, thought it might be interesting.

13. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Well I was waiting for the lunatic fringe to arrive at the scene. Frankly I think they're a little late.

14. GingerCoffee

And just how is it these people supposedly discovered this 'conspiracy'?

15. Jack Asher

I love the part where "After the 911 incident, all Boeing aircraft (and possibly all Airbus) have been installed with a remote control system to counter terrorist hijacking. Since then all Boeings can be remote controlled by ground control tower. The same remote control system used to control the pilotless spy aircraft and drones."

Boeing installed drone technology that didn't exist in 2001 into all their planes. And they did it in secret, even though all of the "control towers" are able to commandeer the planes. Even planes farther away from any control tower then any drone is able to operate.

16. GingerCoffee

Do you ever wonder how these elaborate stories start? Do they come from trolls on the conspiracy theory forums? Schizophrenics who don't have a grasp on reality? Innocent speculators and the stories then become 'fact' after they've passed between a few people?

17. Jack Asher

I think anyone with an axe to grind and a horrible sense of purpose can come up with a credible conspiracy theory. Remember that the lack of evidence in a conspiracy theory becomes evidence itself.

I feel like starting a writing prompt to come up with theories about the ferry sinking in South Korea, but then my conscience calls and reminds me I'm not morally bankrupt. Still, it would be interesting to see what a group of writers come up with.

bakinpowder likes this.