That Moment...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewdog, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pitviper

pitviper Member

My dad (bilingual, born in Madrid) just told me the most hilarious joke about a spanish-speaking man trying to buy socks. The saleswoman only speaks English, and keeps trying to sell him something else, while he keeps repeating, "No, no! Calcetines, por favor!"
    Finally, he sees a display of socks and grabs a pair, muttering, "Eso se que es."
    The saleswoman says, "Well, if you could spell it, why didn't you say so?"

Lol, see, it's not funny when I tell it. You have to be bilingual, and telling the joke to another bilingual person.

2. MoWrit

MoWrit Member

Relatable. I probably wouldn't have thought twice though.

3. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

TMW the mentioned thread is edited to be properly spoil-proof, but you still ironically get the spoiler from a quote in an anti spoiler post...

I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  4. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

TMW you get the bilingual Spanish joke even though your Spanish isn't that good.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

This joke would work just as well in French or Russian or any other language. Do Klingons wear socks?

Come to think of it, it doesn't have to be about socks. It could be about gloves or hats or underpants.

Come to think of it again, it really isn't all that funny.

:D

6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

TMW when after you've sent your drafts to three different pair of eyes, you suddenly want to include something near the end of Chapter One that you'd think would be hilarious.

Person
    “But is it [using magic to sense others from great distances] innate in anyone?”

Major Character's Friend
    “Yes. Please tell me you weren't reading those books where magic is gauged by some power level.”

Major Character
    “Or the level of magical genes in your bloodstream?”

Major Character's Friend
    “You dare dilute the art of magic to mere genetics!?”

7. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

TMW you feel like your will to live isn't slowly being chipped away by a video game anymore. My soul is teeming with hope! My heart is swelling with joy!

Catrin Lewis and minstrel like this.
  8. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

That moment when you realise that there is actually such a thing as too much chocolate, but you still want to buy more because it's all milk chocolate and you happen to prefer white. Or dark.

9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

TMW where after participating in this thread https://www.writingforums.org/threads/men-please-dont-write-women-this-way.149954/page-2 you actually try to type with your cock forgetting that you are not alone in the house.

Everyone else is like "Dude, WTF ???" although big props to my mate Paul for "hey man I think you've misunderstood the concept of net sex"

Lifeline likes this.
  10. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I wish I could have seen the look on his face :supergrin:

11. Catrin Lewis

No, no, no! You buy the dark and feel virtuous because it's good for you!

12. Catrin Lewis

Somebody needs a tutorial in the difference between "literal" and "figurative" . . . :wtf:

13. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

TMW the dilemma of "do the right thing" vs "obey a direct instruction" is upon me - this is an easy choice in Hollywood but a real bugger in real life

I can't really go into detail but it regards the treatment of a member of my team, who the powers that be seems to have forgotten is a real person with feelings who's been doing a bang up job for us in very difficult circumstances and deserves a lot better than the instruction would deliver.

14. Link the Writer

Well what are the consequence if you do help the person?

15. big soft moose

Its difficult without going into detail which I can't do but basically I'm being instructed to treat the person is a certain way which is considerably below what that person deserves.

If I treat them as I feel they deserve then I'll be potentially putting my job on the line by disobeying a direct order (in essence - its a bit more complicated than that). If I go with the party line I'll be betraying my principle that a leader has responsibilities to his team as well as vice versa.

I'm going to try and tiptoe through the minefield and find a way of obeying the order that's not completely offensive to the person concerned, however if that doesn't work out there is no real choice between job security and principle, not if I want to be able to look in a mirror and like what I see.

16. Catrin Lewis

Stay strong. Can't say this applies to your situation, but in the course of a misspent career I've found that giving in to jerks bites you in the butt sooner or later. Usually sooner.

17. Link the Writer

^ I echo Catrin. I don't have any good advice, sadly. Other than to maybe take the person aside and help them start looking for another job? That way you're not just coldly giving them the boot and leaving them to their fate. You're being their friend by saying, "Hey, I know things may not work out for you here...but I'm gonna help you find a job, OK? We're in this together."

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  18. big soft moose

To be clear this isn't about firing them - this is about revising their duties in what I feel is an insulting and demeaning way

19. Link the Writer

Hmm...

Is there any way to tell the person to improve on their skills? Maybe warn them that the big guys are planning to revise their duties into something they might not like?

20. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I really thought you were firing them.

21. big soft moose

Tbh I might as well be because there no way they'll stay if I do it as instructed... how would you feel if your boss took away most of your interesting duties and reran your induction after 18 months in post, despite you having provided cover for a higher graded post for the last 9 and your performance in this time having been exemplary across the board

The person concerned deserves a reward and (although not in my power) a promotion. Instead I am instructed to treat them as though they are being demoted for incompetence.

22. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I want to give you a "like", but this is a really unlike like. For your record here, I'll hit the button, but your situation sucks, sorry.

23. hirundine

hirundine Contributor Contributor

That moment when you're sitting at your computer researching fire engines and wondering if you've finally lost your mind.

24. Link the Writer

TMW you are browsing the History forums you're on and stumble upon this:

http://historum.com/medieval-byzantine-history/124458-battle-murcia-fahs-al-yallab.html
    TMW part... That apparently back in the Medieval period of the 1160s, there was a place in the Almohad Empire named 'Murica'.

25. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

That moment when you find researching victualling commissioners absolutely thrilling. And you really do.
    Also this book is over forty pounds in e-book form:
    Who's gonna pay that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.