1. CatnipCupid

CatnipCupid Member

That sinking feeling...help!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by CatnipCupid, Apr 19, 2013.

What do you do when self-doubt creep into the picture? Why does this have to happen? What happens when you lose the drive, the energy, the enthusiasm for the story? How do you get it back?

2. NumberOneChin

NumberOneChin New Member

If you lose the enthusiasm while writing, stop. Take a break, go for a walk - clear your thoughts. You're likely to gain some sort of inspiration when you're doing something else. Take solace from the fact that no writer writes continuously. Everyone's mind goes blank at one point, and letting it get to you is the last thing you need.

I'm not sure if you can force yourself to write if you don't have the enthusiasm for it. I did for my current novel, but when you force yourself to write it'll always feel that way to the reader. The words won't flow, the characters don't develop as they should, adjectives seem out of place. But it's a draft, and when you read it through to yourself an idea may suddenly manifest itself. You can then snowball it, weave it into the plot, remove the crap you originally wrote, and hey presto! you're back in business.

Is it a particularly difficult section of the story you're trying to write at the moment? Can you skip ahead, then come back to it?

3. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

I went DJing in Spain for 9 months, haven't stop writing since I got back...

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

You might try focusing on something very small. Write a flash-fiction, something less than 500 words. Work it over until it's a polished gem. It shouldn't take very long. When you're done, you'll have an excellent piece of writing. A small one, to be sure, but it should help you get your confidence back; it will prove to you that you can write well. That should fortify you for the bigger task of writing longer stories, and even novels.

5. CatnipCupid

CatnipCupid Member

I'm working on a novel and a short story. Maybe that's my problem, but I like doing two things at once...I get bored so easily!

What is "DJing?"

6. CatnipCupid

CatnipCupid Member

For the novel: right now I'm filling up a notebook with whatever comes into my head. I think I have chapter 3 written before chapter 1, if that makes any sense.

7. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

Really?

8. CatnipCupid

CatnipCupid Member

How about for reals?

9. ThyEnemy

ThyEnemy New Member

Disc jockey ring a bell?!? ;)

10. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I think DJing is being a disk jockey. Playing records at clubs and so on. Of course, it might mean dinner jacketing, which is wearing dinner jackets. Or dog jousting - putting little knight dolls with little lances on dogs and letting them joust. This takes a lot of dog training to get right. Or duck jumping - seeing how many ducks you can jump over. Or driver jeweling - fastening gemstones to golf clubs. Drunk justifying - telling people why it's perfectly okay to get shitfaced. Dictionary jacking - finding someone who's using a dictionary, holding them at gunpoint, and forcing them to look up "muskellunge." Disaster juxtaposing - putting disasters next to each other to compare and contrast.

I'm sure there are many other possibilities, but these are the most likely ones.

11. CatnipCupid

CatnipCupid Member

LMAO!

12. ThyEnemy

ThyEnemy New Member

Haha! Drunk justifying is fantastic and I'll stick with that from now on.

13. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

I agree with the other comments here. I think walking away and/or writing a short story would help.

I used to get bored with what I was writing and would work on multiple projects at once. I later found it really impacted the quality of my writing and quit doing it. Having your attention divided like that could be part of the problem. I found it made me feel burnt out and I'd feel guilty if I worked on one project more than the other. I've found walking away and taking on a small project that takes less time and coming back to it later does help. I've done that with my art a lot too. When I have a big project sometimes I get discouraged or feel burnt out so I go do a speed paint which restores my confidence and makes me feel like I accomplished something.

One other thing I want to say is only write stories you feel strongly about. If you don't feel strongly about it you won't have the drive to finish it or put the effort in to make it great. Find characters and a story in your head that move you and make you want to write. Otherwise I wouldn't stress too much. Every artistic skill has a technical and a creative side. If you feel strongly enough to keep at it and love doing then trust that with time and effort you will learn the technical side of it. :)

14. CatnipCupid

CatnipCupid Member

Thank you, Terra. If it doesn't rain, I'll go for a stroll tonight and start fresh on ONE thing at a time. I think I have an issue with commitment. I don't like to be tied down. Lol.

15. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

You're most welcome. I used to have that issue, now I am in an over three year long relationship. So I think it's safe to say I've gotten over it. :p

Always remember to have faith in yourself. Keep working at it and you will get there. :)