Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

That's it, I'm switching to only organic meat.

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by GingerCoffee, Mar 15, 2014.

I use the news feed, http://www.promedmail.org/, which is the alert system for the International Society for Infectious Disease. Today they posted this alert:
    Texas Tech scientist raises concern of using beta-agonists
    http://feedstuffs.com/story-texas-tech-scientist-raises-concern-using-beta-agonists-45-109864
    The gist is here is yet another pharmaceutical used in beef to enhance growth. I knew about antibiotics, growth hormone, and the risks of BSE, but I had no idea how many other drugs were being fed food animals. The article immediately made me ask, how much residual of this drug is left in the beef. Then I find this report to the OIE: Problems associated with drug residues in beef from feeds and therapy
    http://www.oie.int/doc/ged/D9384.PDF
    It's bad enough these practices result in trace pharmaceuticals in our drinking water, but US regulation of food safety, given the lobbying influence of the billion dollar ranching industries, doesn't exactly imbue trust in the FDA's certifying of the use of these drugs and/or the USDA's keeping our meat safe.

I had already switched to organic grass fed hamburger, antibiotic free eggs, and I don't drink milk (the natural hormones in the milk are an issue). Not sure if I want to give up cheese, but this latest report is just too much. I am going all organic and I wish I'd have switched earlier.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    Andrae Smith likes this.
  2. We Are Cartographers

We Are Cartographers Active Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Actually, where I live the poor are the most likely to eat organically. Their food just doesn't come in a wrapper that says so. Moca is a very much a farming community. I get eggs from my neighbor or their chickens simply lay them in my yard and I collect them. The fellah down the hill raises hog and dairy cows. I have 7 different fruiting trees and also yuca, batata, yautia and ├▒ame growing wild in the woods that make up half my property. And everyone grows bananas and plantains. The chickens that run free through the neighborhood look like game fowl, the roosters are actually quite handsome, not obese white blobs. We all trade depending on who has what to offer.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  4. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Can I bring all the American people over to Moca, Wrey?

@We Are Cartographers , maybe that's good, what with the healthcare mess.

5. Lae

Lae Contributing Member Contributor

it might be good, i read somewhere that overuse and under use of antibiotics reduces their effectiveness (virus adapting etc) and the effectiveness of the host when defending off infections/viruses. So in theory it might be a good way of getting rid of the poor. Good suggestion DYS. :p

6. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

That's not what I meant at all. :(

7. Lae

i know :D

Andrae Smith likes this.
  8. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Oh, ok! I was gonna say....

Viruses are scary little buggers.....

9. GingerCoffee

Just a couple corrections. They aren't yet using anti-virals in animals though viral vaccinations are used. So it is bacterial antibiotic resistance you are referring to. And it's a common misconception antibiotics weaken the immune system and/or immune response. They do not. The effect is solely on selecting drug resistant microorganisms.

10. Lae

hmm, my understanding was that antibiotics kill off some good and bad bacteria when taken, hence the secondary infection problem at hospitals. I remember something a few years ago about the problems antibiotics were causing in the gut. I also (was just reminded by my mrs) about the stuff in the news a few years back about the effect antibiotics were having on chronic and degenerative diseases

11. GingerCoffee

That is correct.

Not sure what this is referring to. I'd need more specific information to comment.

12. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

Ever since I read The Omnivore's Dilemma, I've only purchased humanely raised, grass-fed/finished beef. I'd originally switched to simply organic, to avoid the issue of prions/mad cow disease, caused by the cannibalistic feeding protocols in many factory farms, and all the harm caused related to having the cattle stand in their own feces, force-fed corn, leading to stomach issues and the emergence of particularly virulent strains of e-coli which only survived in the increased acidity of stomachs of cows who are force fed corn. And also the elimination of proper butchering practices, which leads to the feces just being ground up with the cows into the ground beef.

The food industry's solution is irradiating the beef. I prefer just to not have feces in my beef anyway. And to not contribute to the destruction of our rivers and oceans.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  13. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

What does not kill me makes me stronger. And by "stronger", I mean very, very sick.

14. GingerCoffee

I came away after the Omnivore's Dilemma with mixed feelings. His conclusions about the organic chicken perhaps causing as much pollution with the distribution required stayed with me. I do by Earthbound salads but I can't say I always do.

I switched to only organic corn a while back, and no canola oil because there is an herbicide on much of it that has been shown to cause serious defects in frogs and could be related to breast cancer and the manufacturer put out a doubt the science campaign and they continue to use the chemical.

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/2/21/silencing_the_scientist_tyrone_hayes_on

This is a whole different issue that going organic to protect the environment. I'm going organic now because that's just one experimental drug residual in your food too many. And come to think of it, I best make it all organic all the time if I can.

BTW, irradiating food does not worry me. Yes, there might be consequences yet to develop but at the moment I can't see it. You are irradiating non growing food, meaning the genetic changes are not going to be significant, a damaged cell is not reproducing, not growing inside you either.

GMFs, that depends. Everything we eat that grew is genetically modified. But Monsanto's business practices are worrisome and I don't really trust the safety mechanisms in the research of these products.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  15. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I wish organic food was more affordable. That's the only thing stopping me (and millions of Americans) from buying it.

16. GingerCoffee

Buy more and the prices will come down.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  17. thirdwind

If I buy more now, I won't have enough money to buy them later, even if the price does go down. Damn capitalists!

18. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Gone exploring... in the inner realm... Contributor

This should work, based on what I learned in economics. If we reward organic companies with our money, they would would be able to afford to lower prices as incentive to keep us buying and attract new customers.
    The reason it costs so much is actually the fact that standard products have been reduced in price (relatively, considering all rices have increased a bit) due to big industry and new technology, allowing for cheaper food. You can't do what big companies do organically so the price will be a bit higher here.

However, @Wreybies makes a good point in mentioning his community. If we had more local agriculture, we would probably see the prices drop because they wouldn't be trying to compete for a national market. Right now, almost all of our food comes from a few major companies...

Wreybies likes this.
  19. thirdwind

I'm thinking of buying a chicken and a cow and running an organic farm out of my apartment. I could even sell the eggs and milk to others at a discounted price. Imagine all the money I'd save/make! Now all I need to do is convince my roommate...

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  20. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Contributing Member

I wanted to do the same thing, also because making cheese is a hobby of mine, and having a cow would really improve things.
    But I've read that having even just one milk cow is pretty much a full time job, so I think I'm going to settle for some chickens at first, keep some eggs for me and sell the rest.
    Maybe even sell some chicks.

21. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

I'm not a fan of the amount of drugs and hormones they are putting in the animals today, but 100% organic is not the answer in my book. I had a friend who had to put down twelve of his fifty head because of black leg. He was/is raising them 100% organic so couldn't use the vaccines and lost a quarter of his herd. I'm also friends with a family that raises hogs from Missouri to Texas. They raise their pigs organically until they get sick. The sick pigs get their shots and shipped to inorganic farms so they don't lose out.

If you look at the sheer number of animals it takes to feed us you will be amazed. I worked in a steak house that I butchered an average of 16 tenderloins a day. That means 8 cows gave their life to my kitchen every day but Sunday, roughly 300 a year for just one kitchen. There were at least five other steak houses downtown.

22. Lae

@Garball the waste we see on a day to day basis is astonishing, you'd think people were greedy... :p

Andrae Smith likes this.
  23. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

We also have a farmer's market every Friday. And it's not a suburban, soccer-parents farmer's market (sorry, soccer-parents). It's the real deal. You can buy goats, cows, pigs, every kind of game and water fowl that lives here. And the veggies are outasight! When rambutan are in season, that's where I get them.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  24. Garball

Man alive! I love rambutan. Our supermarket carries them for about two days a year. I've seen people try to substitute canned lychees for rambutan and they need to be shot.

25. Garball

Even if we weren't greedy, the amount of food it takes to feed us is almost unreal.

Andrae Smith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.