1. Ferret

Ferret Contributing Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.

That's strange...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Ferret, Jan 4, 2008.

I dunno know 'bout you folks, but I ussually listen to music when I write and it's starting to show. Soundgarden. For the last week.
    I still have no idea what a "black hole sun" is, but a fallen god of light has lost all hope and his eyes have turned black in my writing. A character about a song has seriously appeared in my writing. e.e And just the entire mood of what I was writing about has changed. It's all dark and Dismal, when I started to write a story with the idea of hope in mind.
    Anything like that ever happen to you?

2. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I normally write to music.
    When I write to music my story is better then if I didn't.

And yeah that's happened to me before.
    When I listen to light music with out the dark tones I write lighter happier fluffier songs.
    When I listen to dark heavy toned music(believe me I do a lot) my stories are dark and very aggressive.

I don't music gives me ideas.
    lol1

3. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason
    I find listening to music very helpful--I just have to pick a song that matches the situation. But yeah, I've noticed that when I'm writing a dark scene, if I listen to a dark heavy song while I write it, it's a lot better and more convincing. But sometimes on days when I'm easily distracted, music is a bad thing, because I can't focus on my writing, and none of it makes sense. There unfinished sentences here and there, and a lot of it is just nonsense.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Member

I always seem to write better when I have my Ipod with headphones on. I'm a big fan of hiphop music (not that garbage you hear on the radio), and I'm sure 90percent of the people on here dislike hiphop, but that is what makes the words flow.

5. CharlieTheUnicorn13

It shouldn't matter what kind of music it is, as long as it gets the words flowing. Sometimes I need metal to write. Sometimes I need classical. Sometimes I need random stuff from the radio. That's just how it is.

6. Torana

Torana Contributing Member Contributor

I find music is too much of a distraction and that it tends to alter the way I write as well. So when I am writing I like to sit in perfect silence somewhere so it doesn't affect what I write.

Though I tend to think that music would affect poetry more than stories. That is just my opinion though. I for one have come up with some great lines after hearing music yet not used them as they are just a variation of what was said in the lyrics of the song I was just listening to. Too similar of a variation though.

7. Gannon

Gannon Contributing Member Contributor

I write whenever the impulse takes me - so I am influenced by a host of media, including music. Just as music may influence my writing so may a squirrel playing with a golf ball. My preference when consciously writing is for near silence though as to concentrate though some music from time to time won't hurt - I can well imagine that the type of music influences your style of writing as in my opinion the type of music someone listens to often influences much more than their style of writing - their clothes, role models, ideals, friends ....

8. Torana

That is very true Gannon. You can often tell quite a lot about a person from the type of music that they listen to. It is rather interesting as well. :)

9. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan Contributing Member

That's why I always judge a person by the content of their iPod... =P (No, seriously.)

Yeah, I'm always listening to music, including while writing. When it's an exciting scene, I pull up some fast-pace music to get the action hopping. When it's pretty much anything else, I like cool instrumental stuff, like...I dunno, classical music, the Firefly soundtrack, that sorta stuff.

10. Torana

hahahaha and what if they don't have one? (an ipod that is)

and I find Beethoven to be very inspirational music that doesnt seem to affect my writing too much. I think it is easier for me to listen to stuff that has no lyrics as I hate it when a songs lyrics enter my poetry.

11. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan Contributing Member

Their bookshelf. =D

12. Sir Ender

Sir Ender Senior Member

I have trouble writing without music. Hell, I have trouble doing anything without music.

When I write, I have a "Writing" playlist that I made on my iTunes, and it's a combination of all the music that influences me to write.

What used to happen to be was I'd listen to a certain band for too long while I was writing, and then depending on the style of music, that's how the scene would turn out regardless of what I intentionally wanted it to be like. So now I listen to a bunch of different music to stop that from happening again.

13. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

I try not to write to music that I know the words to as it puts me off from my writing. And also, like you pointed out, it changes the mood of your writing. the reason I think is that if you listen to a sad song you become sadder and if you are sad it reflects in your writing. So if you want to write a happier peice, put on some Bob Marley. :D

14. CharlieTheUnicorn13

Bob Marley, lol!

Yeah, I know what you guys are saying. Some days music is just--distracting. You know that expression, "I can't hear my thoughts." Well, sometimes I literally feel that way when I listen to music and write at the same time.

I have a bunch of different playlists for different scenes. I have a sad playlist, a battle scene playlist, a character death scene playlist, yeah.

So, sometimes music helps, and sometimes it doesn't. It definitely won't help me when I write poerty or lyrics. Like you said, I'll probably start copying all the lines. :p

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Then I check their stacks of 78s/45s/33-1/3s... ;)

I find music distracting, but work better with the TV on. Dead silence is most distracting of all.

16. CharlieTheUnicorn13

I know what you mean. I like to read with the TV on. My mom thinks it's weird. I don't like to write with the TV on, though, especially if it's a show I like. When I write, sometimes I feel stressed and frustrated, and the next time I watch the episode that was playing while I was writing, I feel all tired and moody and I don't want to watch it anymore. Yeah, I'm weird like that.

17. Ferret

Ferret Contributing Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    But I don't wanna shoot the Sheriff.
    Mood isn't effected so much for me, as the plot.

Burden in my hand has spawned this god-awful mess, rolling down the mountain of my mind getting bigger and bigger, envloping all in it's story of Lost Prophecy, damnit. Prophecy!

18. KP Williams

KP Williams Contributing Member

I usually find music that has lyrics to be distracting, but I'm okay with word-free songs playing while I write. The one exception to that seems to be Metallica. It's strange, but when I listen to Metallica, the quality of my writing goes through the roof for about half an hour. Then when I start to hear the same songs again, it goes back to normal.

19. knoxvicious

knoxvicious Member

Sometimes...I usually just write phrases from the song when i listen to it, but it's really noticeable. Which leads to me deleting it :)

20. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

So do I.

But I sort it out. I listen to my MP3s and I think about what kinda of story I want to write.
    And depending on that I put it in my writing playlist.

I can't function without music.