The 2nd Person Tale

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Killer300, May 18, 2011.

1. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Plots for computer games have been written in 2nd person ever since they had plots -- look at Colossal Cavern, the first (text only) computer adventure game. But there 2nd person works because you really have done what it says you have done and really do see what it says you see, at least in a virtual sense.

The only 2nd person novel I've read that has come close to working is Charles Stross' Halting State, which is set in the world of online gaming. I'd guess that's why he chose that voice, but it made it hard going because in that case I wasn't doing the things it said I was doing, in any sense.

2. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I've never read anything like that. All of the first person stuff I've read the "I" has been the narrator, not me. I can't see how it can be me -- can you give me any examples?

3. Lord Malum

Lord Malum New Member

I was simply citing something memorable from my childhood (when I was originally put off by second person POV), but if you have a recommended read I'd love to pick it up and see how second person can be done well. I love being shown new things and changing my opinions if necessary.

4. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Not literally. We understand it's all stories and characters. The difference being first person stories from a reminiscent narrator in a style where the story is told to you specifically, as if the narrator were there literally telling their story, and first person stories that don't have some reminiscent narrator from a future point looking back, narrating past-action, and instead the story is unfolding as if for the first time, in the moment, in real-time scenes, and you the reader are there simply following along in the character's shoes/experiences as if you're in the story.

The difference between "And that, my friend's was the last thing I remember before turning the corner and being hit with a shovel" in a reminiscent first-person style, and simply being there in the moment, turning the corner and being hit with a shovel.

But obviously you as the reader aren't literally the narrator unless it's your own autobiography. Talking narrative design and style, only. heh.