1. MVP

MVP Member

The Anti-Writers Career...lol

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by MVP, Mar 1, 2012.

Random thoughts about writing...what else do you do when you're procrastinating in your WIP, lol.

I'm a scientist by profession. I could probably write a hell of a sci/fi work, but writing sci/fi just doesn't interest me. This may not be the case forever, but its not in any of the stories I have brainstormed to work on, after my current WIP is done. It is like the Anti career, to have so much info in so much detail, and just piss on it when it comes to writing. I'm sure most people have an Anti Career. Kinda makes me chuckle, its like skipping over the obvious. Its like a hotshot criminal lawyer that could write a hell of a thriller, but chooses to write Westerns, or childrens books.

Anyone else feel like their career is their writer's anti career? LOL

To the sci/fi writers...although I don't wanna write it, I do enjoy reading it, so keep writing!;)

2. superpsycho

superpsycho Contributing Member

They say write what you know but not everyone has to follow the rules. I guess you're like the mechanic who avoids fixing his own car. In away I can understand that. Your a Scientist. I'm a former R&D engineer but I do include a bit of tech and physics in scifi stories. Not in westerns or mysteries though.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

This reminds me of the celebrity chef Mario Batali. Someone asked him, "What's YOUR favorite dish?" And he answered, "Whatever someone else cooks." I guess he spends his days preparing the best meals he can for his customers, but when he comes home, he just wants someone else to make a dinner for him. I understand that.

I'm an engineer by profession, but my anti-career is, I guess, the polar opposite: a folksinger. I play guitar and I know hundreds of traditional folksongs, and I try to write songs in traditional styles. And I'm more likely to write about musicians than about engineers ...

4. Fifth Business

Fifth Business Member

I am interested in knowing what kind of science you're specialized in?

Because I don't think science is only applicable to just science fiction writing! I would love to be good in science, I think you'd have a lot of interesting knowledge and a good understanding of how things work.

I'm a humanities type of person though. I'm still in school so I don't have an anti-career, but oddly enough I'm an advocate of recreational drugs yet a lot of my writing reflects drugs in an extremely poor light.