1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

The Awesome Concept

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Killer300, Jun 12, 2011.

You ever get a concept that sounds insanely cool, but then when you actually try to write it, you hit a concrete wall? Because, I seem to get these all the time. Maybe it's just because I'm horrible at writing introductions, which seem to be the hardest part of any story for me, however this problem has been particularly afflicting me lately with a tale called, "Mute and the Darkness."

The concept is interesting, people are trapped in an apartment room with strange rules to follow or dangerous consquences will emerge, but I can't get past the first paragraph. I can't get the story off the ground, can't get it moving. If I could, it would be smooth, but actually getting the story moving. Help?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's like I keep trying to say.

A story concept means nothing. It's what you do with it that makes gold or sewage of it.

The real power of the story concept is to galvanize the writer with the energy to work the story to its full potential. It's the writer's perception of that concept that eventually infects the reader.

Translating the concept to the excitement or other emotions that struck you when you envisioned it, and transmitting those emotions to the reader - that is the writer's craft, and it must challenge the writer's skills if it is to have any value whatsoever.

3. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

I always hit a concrete wall.

Call it the first paragraph.

Past that it's like sliding down a slide of Graaaaaavy

4. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund New Member

Ha! All the time. Frankly, most of my concepts are awesome, or seem awesome at the moment of conception. As for the concrete wall, I usually run into it ca chapter 2.

Mind, I don't think those two things are actually related.

I respectully disagree. A good concept has more inherent potential then a poor one. It's true that this won't help you one iota if you can't actually extract that potential, but it doesn't change the fact that it's there and I find it silly to suggest it doesn't matter.

5. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

I will give the same advice I give every one. Start your story at the beginning. What was the major event that started your MC down this path. No matter how small, write about that in your opening.

I have seen your other posts on this forum and you have a very creative mind. I do not know what it is that inspires your creativity but what ever it is do it and figure out when you MC started down this path.

I am not sure if this helps. I hate being blocked up my self and can empathize with you.

Good Luck.

6. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

A good concept with a bad writer will lead to nothing worthy of note, but a good writer, even with a bad concept, can bring out a great story, or one that effectively changes the way something is done. Though we cannot truly say exciting story concepts have a greater potential for storytelling than dull concepts, nor vice versa. It all depends on what the writer decides to write.

In short, I agree with Cogito.

Concerning 300's dilemma, just experiment, if you find a way you do not want to start it, rule it out and try again. Do what it takes to get yourself interested in the story you want to tell.
    Maybe mention a former resident of said apartment and his or her punishment.

7. Ged

Ged New Member

I giggled @ this.

/offtopic

8. Raki

Raki New Member

I'd suggest that you just start writing. Who cares what the first paragraph looks like in the rough. Get past it and move on. Come back to it later when you see more of how the story has taken shape.

In my personal experience, any and all road blocks in my writing usually stem from being ill-prepared to write them (ie: I don't know the character, plot, etc., well enough to know how it should be written or be satisfied with how I have written it). If that's your problem, I suggest you develop the concept and characters more before attempting to write it.

9. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Good concepts are one thing, entirely separate from the craft, let alone, act, of writing. Lots of people can come up with story ideas, but being able to write your inspiration is an entirely different beast. So I don't know whether for you the problem is really about you going mute and dark with your writing or whether you're more of a daydreamer rather than writer. Writers daydream and write.

10. JeffD

JeffD New Member

Hmmm, so it's like the Saw movies then...

The furry walls were comforting to Andrew as he awakened to realize that he only had one arm. "How unfortunate that you had to drink soda after 4 PM. I don't want to sound too cliche in saying 'I told you so' but, I told you so." an older male voice said sitting in the corner. Andrew was too busy to care what the old man was saying while cursing and shouting every foul word that he knew in random order.

There you go and your welcome. That should get you started.

11. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Not quite saw, although it can be just as brutal. But okay, I'll work on it now with what've I read here.

12. theSkaBoss

theSkaBoss New Member

Then don't write the first paragraph. Who needs an intro? Write the smooth part.

13. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Forget the first paragraph -- you can add that as a finishing touch if need be. Beginnings are hard. Always. Instead, it might help you to look at the whole thing a bit more from above. You make up some characters, and you get to know enough about them to be able to say what they want. Do they want out? Do they want to kill everyone else off and take control of the place they're locked in? Do they have a personal beef with the person who put them there? Do they want to figure out why they're there? Ask your characters random questions like this and see what makes them tick. Once you know what your characters want, you have the potential for a plot: keeping them from getting it.

14. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

You might want to watch the Cube-movies. It's all about people waking up in a strange place where every room is identical other than deadly traps in some rooms. No one knows why they are there or where 'there' is (as a minor spoiler: it's a cube). They are not that bad, and it can give you a tip on how to start.

Personally, I think of my books as franchises. That way I can pretend I have already introduced at least most of the characters, making it much easier to include them in the story. I add their last name the first time I mention them (except if it's in a conversation) The first scene with a character will set up his/her personality and all that, and I can keep evolving them over the story. Clever, huh. :rolleyes:

15. Sang Hee

Sang Hee New Member

Ever read Gantz?
    Anyways, yeah, concept is pretty much worthless (in general). You need a story the is well conducted.
    If you can't get the story going it means you need to start spinning your mind so it would get more productive.

16. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

Start like this.

Jake's eyes fluttered open. He was in a small dank room with muddy walls and a cold stone floor. A cell phone rang next to him. With trembling fingers he answered.

A low voice rasped into his ear. "Hello Mr Reed. Today you're going to play a game. You've spent your entire life writing about others, throwing them into impossible, dangerous situations, building conflicts, inflicting harm upon your creations. You've treasured the mantle of God in your fictional world, enjoying the omnipotence that you could never have in life. But now you're going to take the leading role in a story. Today you'll finally experience your characters' plight in the flesh. You'll learn what it is to have real empathy for your protagonists, to feel as they feel, to bleed as they bleed.

"In front of you is a note pad and a pen. To entertain the masses your story must begin with tension. Yes, there must be blood. You have two minutes to write a first paragraph describing how you lose half a gallon of blood. When your time expires your story will come to life. If you write nothing this story will begin with an early death.

Your time starts now. Live or die. Make your choice."

Gosh I love Jigsaw. Just wish his movies weren't so terrible.

17. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Alright guys, I've finally hit some sort of sweet spot. The story is moving along, although sadly still awkwardly. However, it's picking up pace. I have a feeling though the writing will be clunky, and very tellish unfortunately. Probably because I'm writing through writer's block.

18. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Haha I have this problem alot xD Think up a good story but can't seem to put it on paper :(

19. joanna

joanna Active Member

For many writers, the first paragraph or several paragraphs or even pages are "warming up" -- they're awkward because you're just starting to get a feel for the story.

Write them anyway. Write the whole thing, then trash the beginning parts that don't cut it. You can rewrite them, or just start in media res.

20. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

That's what frustrates me the most as a writer. When I get this amazing idea in my head, but it gets lost in mind-to-paper translation.