The Bechdel Test!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by g_man526, May 1, 2013.

1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Yeah, the scenario you mentioned sounds justified to me, but its certainly different than the one proposed earlier, with the girl shooting a guy in a crowd of ten.

In that case, I still find it hard to believe. Either she panicked, in which case she shouldn't be owning a gun, or, she was trained beforehand to be composed enough to do it, in which case, she shouldn't have allowed herself to get that close to those guys in the first case.

In the real life scenario you mentioned, the guy was at a distance and approaching, and she questioned him. That sounds to me like she made a thought out decision. It makes sense.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Not sure what any of the last ten pages or so of this thread have to do with the original discussion of how women were portrayed in film.

3. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Sorry about the late reply, drowned in work for a while.

Anyhoo, anyone can panic for whatever reason: a person can get caught off-guard even if they usually walk around in condition yellow if, say, they get a phone call that their loved one has just died, they've gotten very drunk for some reason (a bad divorce, found out they got cancer, whatever), the list is endless.
    As long as we're talking about humans, it can happen to anyone although those who are aware and practice pragmatic paranoia, usually get away with less trouble than those who walk around in condition white. Sometimes evasion doesn't work either and you end up cornered anyway (or you can't outrun your assailants as was the case with the girl; she tried running, but the guys were very athletic and caught/cornered her).

Buuut, I believe this actually veers towards a discussion better had in the Novels-room because it starts to delve into the actual story. Thanks for the discussion anyway, it was very entertaining. :cool:

4. AVCortez

AVCortez Active Member

I haven't been here for literally a year and this thread is still going.

Dafuq?

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It wasn't. You bumped an old thread. We have discussed the test in a more recent thread but in this case, the topic only came up because I used a year old suggestion in the contest theme suggestion thread for the short story contest.

Of course now that you have bumped the tread, I'll have to read what people were saying on the subject a year ago. :)

6. AVCortez

AVCortez Active Member

hahaha, whoops. Honest mistake.

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

:) Not an issue. Happens all the time and most of us have done it.