1. sereda008

sereda008 Member

Small problem with birth...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by sereda008, Oct 9, 2010.

So my main character will need to have a son later on in the story who would be the main character of a book I have not finished yet. How can I make him have a child without going on about sex? He does not need to know that he has a child, but how the heck can that happen? He will only see that child after spending approximately ten years floating in the Atlantic ocean to the USA (Literally) so this should be a surprise to him. This is supposed to be something like a horror story and you would rarely find children making in those. Please do not think that I am too lazy to solve my own problems because I have been thinking about it for a few days. If you see the problem which I mean then any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Sperm bank he needed the money and made a deposit.

3. sereda008

sereda008 Member

What the... I forgot to mention that he did not intend to have a children. He has enough trouble trying to get himself rid of the demon that inhabits and attempts to dominate his brain. Children are his least concern.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

OK is he worried about passing it on genetically? If not then he wouldn't be thinking about having a child - the child would be his but not his to look after etc

Could he be drugged and raped?

5. Lee Shelly

Lee Shelly New Member

No chance that he just had a casual fling and forgot about it? Or maybe he's only had the one sexual experience (wanting not to have children and all that), was reassured that nothing would happen, and something happened anyway? Honestly, it's pretty easy for a man to have a child and not know about it. Much easier than a woman not knowing.

6. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Could it happen before he is worried about not having children? Had a one night stand and sort of forgot about it.

That or just get him drunk and have him have a 1 night stand.

7. acrox9713

acrox9713 New Member

I agree, maybe he felt a need and hired someone. He used protection but it had failed. Maybe the woman reasured him that she was unable to get pregnant. Or maybe even he got super drunk and with that kind of super angry, and then he raped someone else? Endless possibilities.

8. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Defective condom.:eek:

9. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Or, possessed and the demon did it... Isn't that a ready-made excuse?

1 person likes this.
  10. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Faulty vasectomy.

11. art

art Contributor Contributor

Not quite sure what you're asking. You seem to be implying that the presence of a child in a novel obliges the author to give a blow-by-blow account of how that child came about. It doesn't. Most folk understand the chief means by which babies are born...as an author you can choose not to go there: the creation of the child can be reduced to one (past tense) sentence which need not be in the least bit explicit. 'Ah, that drunken evening with Suzy from Exorcisers Anonymous when tears and needs were shared.' Whatever. If your chap is entirely naive (something you seem to imply), a set-up of this sort - two vulnerable folk getting together - is not unbelieavble.

There's lots of sexiness afoot in the old Hammer horror films - most of which were based on books, I guess - so, you know, you should not entirely disregard it. Orgasm or demonic possession? The possibilites are endless, I tell you. Endless.:)

12. sereda008

sereda008 Member

Thanks for the replies. I think... I have it.
    What if the demon did the job and he did not remember it? It should work, as my story revolves around the demon trying to control him. This would lead to more planning because in most of my planned events the main character is conscious, but could be explained by he demon adapting.
    Thanks for the help, I did not expect the solution to be so simple.

Some people had questions... well sex was the last thing in his mind. What he was focused on was getting rid of the entity embedded within him.

13. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Well, sex is a comforting de-stresser, maybe he wants to be with someone to get his mind off his demons (literally!) and try to relax for once. And the woman's birth control then fails, leaving him with a son, or else they were to naiive to use BC at all.

Seriously, this isn't as hard as you're making it seem. :)

14. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

Who says you need to go on about sex? Maybe he's just at a bar one night, meets a pretty girl. You can have them flirt, suggest that they might have sex but not detail it, and then not mention it again until later. Unless I did miss something and this won't work.

15. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

What's all this talk about having sex? You mean to tell me that the stork isn't the one who delivers babies?

16. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Of course not! ...they come from the cabbage patch.

17. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

If vampires can turn others into vampires with a bite, and demons can possess others by breathing into them, perhaps your character can beget children with just some slight physical contact with women (you decide what), not the usual mortal way. Maybe he didn't realise this at the time?

18. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

How can someone have a child and not know it?

A momentary indiscretion, years ago, that comes back to haunt him in the future.

She was so sexy, I was so drunk...why can't I remember what happened all those years ago?

My college sweetheart...but she never told me...I mean...she was supposed to be on the pill?

In a horror story context...having one's genetic material collected without your permission...or even you knowledge...is kinda spooky.

In terms of DNA cloning...the blood you donated years ago, was that really the red cross collecting it? Or a mad scientist/sinister government experiment/diabolical cult or something worse?

Just a few ideas to bounce around :)

19. Daisy215

Daisy215 New Member

My cousin just found out he has a 5 month old daughter. Trust me, $&&? happens. It doesn't have to be in his nature to have a long night, just one time and bam, there you go.