1. kipoyph

kipoyph New Member

What title/s had an effect on you?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by kipoyph, Nov 6, 2007.

I'm just curious as what books had a profound effect on you in such a way that moved you, changed your outlook in life, compelled you to act towards something you realized was important.

I'm asking because I'm looking for books that is not just for entertainment. I don't really like to read some 'great' books because they were literary masterpieces of techniques or style. I'm interested in books that entertain and touch people/lives. (Other than the Bible, Koran, Talmud, Veda, Analects and other Holy books, of course)

Thanks

2. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Well, the first books that changed the way i thought was the Harry Potter series. It wasn't the book so much, but the fact i felt so amazed by them made me realise that I wanted to write.

another one was Hanibal and The Silence of the Lambs. both had me sitting and thinking about them for days on end and i really loved those. Another good one was The Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. it is an exceptional story and makes you realise that there are bigger plans that what ou can see and stuff.

i think that is about it anyways, i will let you know later if i can think of any more. :)
    Heather

3. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman

Indepth search into metaphysics anyone?

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Starship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein had a profound effect on me. I found some of his political and military rants (Its honestly a book of philosophy cleverly hidden in a novel) very insightful and though I won't say I subscribe to everything he says It helped me develope my current outlook on politics and war.

Also Enders Game by Orson Scott Card. I've never read a book that so expertly captures the essence of military leadership or the human psyche. Reading how depressed Ender was literally made me feel depressed while I was reading it. Brilliant.

5. potters_pimp

potters_pimp New Member

I know this sounds cliche but the Harry Potter series had a huge effect on me. It gave me another look on what death means, and helped me to see life as something a lot more. It also showed me the power of love.

6. Pretty^Athens

Pretty^Athens New Member

well, the books that have touched and moved me the mnost were Quiloh's books... They have this mysterious thing isnide them that made me deal with everything differently... And a lot of things in my personality have changed as a result of reading them. Another book is Pope Joan, which talks about a female pope that the Vatican tries to ignore and deny the period of hers, when reading it i felt a great similiarity between her and me which touched me a lot!

7. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

Anna Karenina - i can't really explain why, and wouldn't want to give anything away. all I can really say is read it!

8. Jcrash

Jcrash New Member

Of Mice and Men

The first piece of writing that inflicted deep emotion in me.

9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The Hobbit - J.R.R Tolken

It was fun

The Call of Cthulhu - H.P. Lovecraft
    The Shadow Over Innsmouth - H.P. Lovecraft
    1984 - Goerge Orwell

They scared me so deeply and made me first think about the stupidity of mankinds own actions. Also, the first two really got me into the whole Lovecraftian thing.

10. ANT (Bar YOSEF)

ANT (Bar YOSEF) New Member

Animal Farm- introduced me to strange ideas.