1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

The Best Thing About Witing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Cacian, Dec 17, 2011.

1) For me it has to be about the words and how I use them
    and
    2) the idea that unfolds whilst I am writing.
    In other I never know what might come up as I am writing.

2. akexodia

akexodia Member

(Since, im more into poetry) It's basically the fact that each poem i pen down is an essence of me, myself. It's like they are something i like to turn to when i've got no one to share my thoughts with and poof! The grief, angst, joy is all, lets say, contented.
    Besides the unpredictibility, i mean you never know what path will the poem tread!

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Agreed.
    I am more into poetry because there is not characters as such but me.
    It is not made up it is as real as it gets.
    The best form of prose I say and it is instant quick and rewarding.

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

You mean without regard for their actual meaning and usage?

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

here's the best thing for me [an essay from my website]:

Worlds Without End

Do you know who’s as close to being God as anyone can get? A writer! It’s easy. We all do it. Just by putting words together, I can:
    ...turn tragedy into a happy ending;
    ...leave a slum behind to live at Versailles or in a villa on any Greek island;
    ...delete my tormentors with no qualms of conscience;
    ...resurrect my beloved dead or any long-ago season of my life;
    ...travel in time without leaving my comfy bed, with just a pad in my lap & pens enough for the journey;
    ...cure the common cold, cancer, AIDS, broken hearts and my own old age;
    ...replace warring peoples’ terror with peace;
    ...bring a smile to a starving child’s lips and food to his poor, bloated belly;
    ...change history or affect the future (figuratively, and possibly even literally, as some before me have surely done).

When I write something that has not yet been, it then exists. I say “this is” and no one can say it is not...not even another writer, as we inhabit parallel universes of our own individual designs. None can cancel any other’s, each plane is inviolate. Who else can so effortlessly protect one’s turf, one’s world? No wonder this kind of creating is habit-forming. Once begun, once indulged in, how can I ever kick it? Why on earth would I want to live only in life as it is... and forgo ever again making of it whatever I wish?

Blessing, curse, addiction, affliction; it’s all of those and yet, despite whatever down side, to be a writer is to achieve immortality on a level no scientist or inventor ever will attain. We leave behind not objects, theories, concepts in the untouchable abstract, but all of ourselves, in our own unmistakable words. To be freely shared. To live again and again in all who take them in. Each being who reads a book, sees a film, sings a song we’ve created, absorbs a part of us, and passes it on and on, for ever and ever... without end or “amen.”
    ( to be continued...)

[*Dedicated to my longtime idol and consummate wordmeister, the sadly late-lamented William Safire]

1 person likes this.
  6. mammamaia

here's the best thing for me [an essay from my website]:

Worlds Without End

Do you know who’s as close to being God as anyone can get? A writer! It’s easy. We all do it. Just by putting words together, I can:
    ...turn tragedy into a happy ending;
    ...leave a slum behind to live at Versailles or in a villa on any Greek island;
    ...delete my tormentors with no qualms of conscience;
    ...resurrect my beloved dead or any long-ago season of my life;
    ...travel in time without leaving my comfy bed, with just a pad in my lap & pens enough for the journey;
    ...cure the common cold, cancer, AIDS, broken hearts and my own old age;
    ...replace warring peoples’ terror with peace;
    ...bring a smile to a starving child’s lips and food to his poor, bloated belly;
    ...change history or affect the future (figuratively, and possibly even literally, as some before me have surely done).

When I write something that has not yet been, it then exists. I say “this is” and no one can say it is not...not even another writer, as we inhabit parallel universes of our own individual designs. None can cancel any other’s, each plane is inviolate. Who else can so effortlessly protect one’s turf, one’s world? No wonder this kind of creating is habit-forming. Once begun, once indulged in, how can I ever kick it? Why on earth would I want to live only in life as it is... and forgo ever again making of it whatever I wish?

Blessing, curse, addiction, affliction; it’s all of those and yet, despite whatever down side, to be a writer is to achieve immortality on a level no scientist or inventor ever will attain. We leave behind not objects, theories, concepts in the untouchable abstract, but all of ourselves, in our own unmistakable words. To be freely shared. To live again and again in all who take them in. Each being who reads a book, sees a film, sings a song we’ve created, absorbs a part of us, and passes it on and on, for ever and ever... without end or “amen.”
    ( to be continued...)

[*Dedicated to my longtime idol and consummate wordmeister, the sadly late-lamented William Safire]

7. Cacian

Cacian Banned

It is all about debatable what a meaning of a given word is.
    This is how view writing.
    The word LOVE for example has different meanings to different people.
    The whole point of writing is that you have that flexibility of not being constrained to one word one meaning.
    writing and reading would be very boring otherwise.

very inspiring indeed.
    what is it you idolise about William Safire?

8. mammamaia

google him and you should be able to figure that out... plus, if you browse through his work, you may then be joining me in mourning the loss of a fine writer who never ceased seeking the meaning and origin of words...

9. Brandon P.

Brandon P. Senior Member

The joy I find in writing is all about creating worlds, characters, and stories for other people to enjoy. It allows me to express the things I daydream about to the world.

10. Cacian

Cacian Banned

will have a look..
    If it is daydreaming is all your writing a positive one?
    As oppose to doom and gloom writing which I personally dislike.

11. Brandon P.

Brandon P. Senior Member

Normally my stories end on a happy note, so yes, my writing has a positive spirit.

12. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

It's not the actual writing I enjoy; being able to read it over later is the best part.
    I write what I want to read. If I can't find it in a book I'll write it myself.