1. bobjob25

bobjob25 New Member

Music is for earcreatures

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bobjob25, Apr 26, 2007.

This is for musicians mostly, but people who just like music are more than welcome to reply...

When you listen to music do you tend to switch focus on different instruments at different times?

I play guitar in my 'band' but in the past few years I have become more educated in other instruments (specifically bass, percussion, keyboard) and once in a while I get in moods where I focus on one intrument more than others.

I was in a really big bass mood for almost a year, and it made it hard to try and decipher guitar chords. Then in the past few days, I got in a really big drum craze. I've played the drums on occasion but am not even close to the ability of the bands I listen to. But I still phases the other instruments out for the most part and now it sounds weird!

2. Raven

Raven Banned

I can play Guitar very well.
    And I can also Play the Saxaphone very well.

~Raven.

3. Frost

Frost Active Member

I'm a drummer. I'm a good drummer. I still lack a few skills in the Jazz department, and a few in the brutal death metal department, but these are things I can pick up on easily.

I love all aspects of a song though; I can focus on any at will. I should really, really play more than just drums, because along with this highly advanced ear use, I have a great memory for tunes, melodies, sounds, notes and all that business.

4. AshNight

AshNight New Member

Because I am a singer and a dancer, mostly I listen to the beat and the lyrics. I tend to be a bit hypocritical and think that those are the most important things about a song.

5. .PeanutButter

.PeanutButter New Member

There's this one song: Gypsy Women by Hilary Duff...it's started out simple, then the bass comes in, I love that part! It sounds so good! Occasionally I'll switch my attention to the drums, but I mainly listen to it overall.

6. Inquire

Inquire New Member

I play piano and dabble in the guitar, so I can pick out chords, etc. My boyfriend, however, is a real musician. He plays violin, guitar, bass, piano, drums, etc. Besides playing around with cellos and other things. He listens to things based one what the band's best at. There's some group that he only listens to because the drumming is fantastic.

Lyrics are important to me.
    And if you've got a sweet bass-line, I'll love you for life.
    :love:

7. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I had begun playing the electric guitar about three years ago. Then when I switched over to the bass guitar in order to join a band, I noticed that when I listened to my usual playlist of music I began to hear it differently. I was sub-consciously focusing on the bass.

I think playing a various array of musical instruments improves the way you are able to focus your ear to certain instruments or sounds.

I've wanted to take violin lessons since forever ago.

8. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

The first time I hear a song, I usually focus on the vocals and lyrics. If I listen to it a few more times, I will listen for the drums and other instruments.

My boyfriend plays guitar, and I have a few other friends who are in bands. My boyfriend's parents are serious musicians, and I love being around them.

I've been wanting to learn how to play drums, but even if I could afford a drum set, I don't have a place to keep it, or to practice. Maybe someday.

9. Inquire

Inquire New Member

He's from a big, Russian, very musical family. He did his first concert when he was four, poor kid. The family makes him practice at least three hours a day. And he teaches younger kids. From what I hear, it's a lot of work. He comes over with bloody fingers quite often. :) But it truly is beautiful. I could listen to him play alllll day.

10. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

I go through phases in listening to songs. The first listen I will usually pay more attention to the vocals to find the meaning or story in the song, unless I'm watching a video. Then I'll watch the video and pay attention to the actual music on the second or third listen.

Once I figure out the story or meaning I tend to focus on the gitar and pick up on an amazing solo of a riff I like.

Then I listen for the bass and drums.

I'm not sure why... It's instinctive. xD