1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Distances

Discussion in 'Research' started by Marcelo, Nov 22, 2008.

Hello everyone! I'm planning to make my fantasy-world as believable as possible, so I have some questions. My fantasy world is the size of a country really, and is divided into four regions. My characters will travel a lot, so I need to know more about distances.

a) How many miles can a person travel by foot?
    b) How many miles can a person travel by horse-back?
    c) How many miles is Ireland, from east-west / south-north?

And if you can give me more feedback on distances, I'll be very glad.

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

As many as he wants. The question is too broad. Do you mean in a day? In an hour? Without stopping?

Same as the above. What are we talking about here? In a day? In an hour? Without stopping?

To tell you the truth I find these sort of specifics needless. You can easily say "it was a journey of many miles" in some way and the reader will get the point that it took a long time to get there. Do we really need the specifics of how long it takes? Even then, do we need how far? You can say it was a three days journey and again the reader will get the idea. The need for specifics in this matter isn't too drastic (that's just me of course).

I don't know about that but I got this from Wikipedia: Ireland as a land mass covers 31,520.6 square miles.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ireland is 302 miles long n/s and 275 wide... which you could have learned as quickly as i did with a split-second google search...

as for your other questions, the type of terrain, physical condition of the person/horse, and climate weather conditons will affect the answers... so, no one can give you valid answers to such broad, vague questions...

4. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Damn, hadn't noticed!
    In a day, how many miles can a person by foot and a person by horse-back travel? For example, in a road, with no natural obstacles. And terrains such as bogs and forests, how many miles is the distance shortened.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Try looking at hiking journals (online diaries and blogs). They may give you the beginnings of answers to your questions, at least under some types of conditions.

6. Emerald

Emerald New Member

The island of Ireland, or the Republic of Ireland? :p
    Why Ireland, anyway?

I think this answers your question about horses: