1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

anyone knows about?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Marcelo, Nov 14, 2008.

Okay, I have a problem here. Lately, anthropology and philosophy have been attracting me, as I know they could help my writing. However, my schedule's so tight I don't have time for it, so I thought maybe someone knew about free online courses on these two subjects. It doesn't has to be great, as long as it contains the basics and really makes me learn. Well, thanks everyone. :)

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Why not just go to the library and take out books on those subjects? Doing it at your own pace and choosing the books you want can be just as effective.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I don't know about anthropology, but for philosophy, just research the ideas of great philosophers in chronological order starting with the Greeks.

4. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Wikipedia.

Enough said.

5. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Trust wikepdia for the basic information, but don't trust them on everything. If there's anything that seems questionable on wikipedia, than check it out in a book. Hope this helps.

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

True. Also, make use of the references, bibliography, and notes sections at the end of each page. For more information, these references cite specific articles or books that can be used for further study and is a great researching tool!

7. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Well, how silly of me for not thinking of wikipedia before! I learned a lot about mythologies there. Oh, by the way, any book in particular I should read about these two subjects?

8. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Yeah, wikipedia's a great recourse. I don't depend upon it for everything, but generally I'll use it to find things out and then I'll confirm them with other sources. I've found that wikipedia contains a lot of information thats hard to find anywhere else and its good as long as you don't trust everything completely.

9. Mike Nemesis

Mike Nemesis Active Member

I'm doing part of my university course on philosophy if you want a simple book thats easy to pick up and read and introduces you to some of the basic concepts in philosophy I'd really recomend Simon Blackburn's "Think" published by Oxford University Press. It can be read without any prior knowledge and can help when reading some well known philosophers work such as Descarte's Meditations.

Hope this helps.

10. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

:DIt does.
    Thanks everyone!