1. PrincessGarnet

PrincessGarnet New Member

Do friends and family support you with your writing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PrincessGarnet, Nov 20, 2008.

I would say most people around me are indifferent, which is fair enough as it's my hobby. Still it would be nice to have someone i know take the time to read something i've written. Also my dad finds it strange that i spend so much time writing, so I usually just say I'm doing Uni work, which i probably should be :p.

2. Vertz

Vertz New Member

I've got a friend who's work I've critiqued, and I plan on asking him to do the same. He and I have spent a good deal of time talking about writing, and I feel that we can support each other even if we are harsh from time to time.

My parents, also, support my writing. At least, they don't tell me it's pointless :p My father is a radio astronomer, so he believes that being an English major is not the best choice (too limiting in terms of what I can do, etc.). But both of my parents care more about me being happy with what I do. As long as I'm doing something I care about, they'll be ok with it. My Dad actually encouraged me to start, you know, writing when I was still at the stage of talking about writing instead of doing it, so I think that shows his support.

3. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

No one knows I'm a writer. Not my family or my friends. I don't think they'd care if they knew but it isn't something I ever feel the need to discuss with them.

My OH is also a writer and I've critiqued his work but don't discuss mine in great detail. I find that discussing it before the first draft is complete can lead to problems later.

That said, I know I'm supported. I don't know where from but I know they'd be behind me a 100% if I ever let them know what I was up to. :)

4. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I just moved all of my writing to a password protected memory stick and swiped it from my computer. So, they know, but they aren't going to read any of it.

5. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

I've been writing so long now my family just accept it as my path in life. In saying that, they're the last people I ask to read my material. Family and friends, though genuine, will mostly tell you what they think you want to hear. Positive and flattering feedback, while 'good' for the ego, does no favours in regards to work development. That's why I always get another writer to check my work. You can't beat constructive criticism, especially when it's from someone who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't feel they have to dress it up to keep you happy.

6. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I don't really have friends, so there's no support there.

I write to a few people online now and then, but the people who want to write to me aren't interested in reading my writing, and the people who might be interested in reading my writing don't want to write to me...so, not really any support there.

And my family either isn't interested, doesn't read much, or thinks writing is a waste of time unless one is making money from it, so, no real support anywhere.

It's pretty difficult not having ANYBODY to talk to about it. :( This and another writing forum are the only real places I have, and even here it's not like I know or interest anybody. Which frustrates me, since I write to try to connect to people and it's obviously not working.

7. Lolita

Lolita New Member

Most of my friends don't write, so they aren't really interested in reading anything I have written. Also, if they do read anything I write, they don't offer any constructive criticism because they think it's "perfect." My family doesn't really care either and anything I write they don't understand what it's about...

8. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I'm married to a fellow professional freelance writer/future novelist, so we support each other completely. He's the only family I have. Most of our friends are either writers or artistic in some way, so they are very supportive.

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Honestly, I don't think they either support or don't support my writing. I think they just don't understand why I write, and more importantly, why I write what I write.

I write Science Fiction with gay and lesbian protagonists. I think this pushes the sensibilities of those around me just a bit too far.

10. Silver Random

Silver Random New Member

The only reason i ever started writing was because a few years ago i stumbled upon a family member starting a short fantasy story, and i thought it was quite a cool idea. I started one as well, and we both finished them. We're the only people that have ever read those ones (and ever will, because they are really bad, written when i was 11/12). We both continued writing for enjoyment, though it was never a full time thing. I have finished one work since my 1st (though some of it is now lost because of technical problems :(), and i have one which i have put on the back burner which is waiting to be finished. And i have had 5-10 pieces that i have abandoned after the first ten thousand words or so.

Obviously now that i am much more competent i try to think of the miniscule possiblilty that i might be able to do something with what im currently working on. But really it is just being for myself and for him to read, as i am not under any delusions about the likelihood of it ever being published.

My family knows that i write / have written in the past, because they have obviously came into my room when i was writing in the past. I probably wouldnt have mentioned it to them otherwise, as i dont mention it to anyone else.

11. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

My friends don't know. With the exception of two of them, I'm not the type of person you'd expect to write if you met me in real life. I don't tell them simply because it doesn't fit me really, and while I love it and I am passionate about it, in a middle/high school setting a guy writing is exactly "welcome". My family know I write, and my sister is an amazing writer, but she isn't supportive of me at all. My parents are more neutral than anything.

12. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

No, my family does not support me. They did while I was in school, but now that I have graduated, they expect me to do something more with my degree then be a writer. They want me to get one of those dreaded, soul-sucking 9-5 jobs.

13. JGraham

JGraham New Member

My mom supports it and my friends that know support it. But my brother thinks its stupid in his words and a waste of time, but i do not let people like that affect me. People that trash it are only mad because they can not do it.

14. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

All and all most frends and family just don't understand it. They largely take it for granted that stories and articles appear in the magazines they read without every really considering there is someone laboring over the words.

15. Fidget

Fidget New Member

One of my main reasons for joining this forum is to find others who are interested in writing and critiquing.

When I was a bit younger, I had gotten support from teachers and schoolmates. As both my family and friends are either technical themselves or see me as technical, few understand my interest in writing if they even know. Some of my friends don't even understand why I enjoy reading fiction much less write it.

16. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

"Do friends and family support you with your writing?"

Unfortunately...yes. Why "unfortunately"?

I am blessed with wonderful family members who encourage my writing. They eagerly read any manuscripts I will surrender and they freely offer praise and encouragement. Problem is, when I ask for constructive criticism, they hold back, not wanting to "hurt my feelings". On many occasions, I have explained that such critique is immensely helpful, but they still can't bring themselves to do so. I guess I shouldn't complain.

17. netty

netty New Member

My hubby loves me writing (in the conservatory, while he watches sky sports) as he understands I am passionate about it. My friends think I am crazy as they barely read other than the occasional magazine. They no doubt get bored of me going on about the course I am doing but I can understand that. My sister is very good at listening to me and reading my writing, she is also doing a course(not writing) so we can talk to each other about our next project.

18. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I think I'm really lucky, my partner is a published horror novelist, and the most supportive when it comes to my writing. I also have my 2 best friends who are extremely supportive of my writing and a few family members. My aunt helps me by giving me feedback on my writing, my father and I have written poetry together before, my mother offers her opinion from time to time, I have a lot of people who have been really supportive of my writing and been there to help. All my friends that I still have write. Most of my old friends and now accquaintances write as well.

So I guess I'm really lucky. Though at times, my family can be pretty unsupportive of my writing. Especially when I am subbing...

19. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I could have pretty much posted the same thing.

When ever i get feedback its always the same oh its good etc, same tone. But never that constructive crit that i ask for (which is why i gave up monts ago). I find it dissapointing that i make it so obvious im asking for the above, and eer time they really neglected it.

20. destinationless

destinationless New Member

One of my oldest friends is my writing buddy. We get together, collaborate, and can just sit together with our laptops and write, write, write for hours on end. Ocassionally one of us will pipe up and read the other a line, and we'll discuss.
    So one of my friends supports me. I'm too shy to share my writing with the rest of the world.

From what my parents have read, they like it, but I keep my macabre themes and poetry far, far from their eyes... :p

21. Alain

Alain New Member

My family most definitely does not support my writing, because I write controversial stuff. I criticize and satirize religion in my poetry and essays, and my family is conservative christian. I am told I am destined for hell. Luckily, I have a thick skin, so statements like that do not bother me. The majority of my friends are atheists as well, so they enjoy my work and find much of it funny.

22. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

I have a friend or two with an interest in writing. Some of my other, crappy friends used to say it was "useless" and how I was "never going to get published" but I don't really talk to them anymore. My immediate family supports me, but rarely reads anything I've written. My grandparents read a lot of my stuff, especially my grandpa because he likes thriller novels. So I've got a fair level of support, but not too much. I generally keep my longer pieces to myself, with the exception of my grandparents, but I'll let my family and some friends read my short stories.

23. Ameasha

Ameasha Member

Yes, my friends and family support me and my writing. In fact my niece and grandson have contributed to my fantasy novel The Calling. They were vewry excited about helping me. What they did was drew up plans for stategic battles and made maps.
    Ameasha

24. DownUnder

DownUnder New Member

None of my friends know I write. My mum is supportive of it, though.

25. D.R. James

D.R. James New Member

I understand; none of my family care to read what I write either. I wrote a book with over 400 inspirational quotes; I gave a copy of it to my mom and she laughed in my face and tossed it in the pile of books she has spent hundreds of dollars on but never read.
    Lucky for me, my neighbors are good honest people and are willing to read and critique my work when needed. So, it seems to have worked out for me; I now take my writing to them.

Good luck with the Uni work
    D.R. James