1. Taya Stevens

Taya Stevens New Member

Non-cliché Plot ... ???!!!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Taya Stevens, Jul 8, 2014.

We have our English assesment soon and we have 2 hours in which to complete it

One Day
    The Letter
    Dead Man Walking

Are the titles we get to chose from but i can't think of a single plot that hasn't been done a billion times, can anyone help me with a plot idea ? I have creative block :/

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Dead Man Walking you could do a zombie twist
    One Day you could think of this as the start of a sentence that could spin off all kinds of ideas - One day I ran into my ex, one day I turned into, One day I bought a, One day I got locked in a,
    The letter could be a letter the mc finds or write or receives.

Think about stories you like or things you like or people you like and just come up with a small problem. For instance
    if you love doing your nails you could turn this into a problem - A woman could write her bff and soon to be maid of honor to stop with the crazy nail art or she'll be banned from the wedding.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Taya Stevens likes this.
  3. Storysmith

Storysmith Senior Member

"The Letter" could be about somebody who wakes up after a wild night to find that he has stolen a ten foot high letter from the top of a skyscraper, possibly to make the letters up there spell something rude. Can he get it out of his home, and preferably back on the skyscraper, before the police catch him?

4. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

I suggest you complete the assignment on your own merits instead of relying on a forum to do your homework for you.

And when you do, only one question mark is ever necessary, that should help you.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  5. Kekec

Kekec Member

One Day--a man banged his head against the wall and ended up in the hospital, the injury resulting in amnesia. Now he needs to find out why he did that.

6. Nothingness

Nothingness Active Member

I can't think of a single plot which hasn't been done a billion times before period.

Using those titles or any other.

7. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Dead Man Walking could be about a completely empty human being, or for the lack of a better term: A psychopath.

8. Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. Active Member

If this is for an assessment for school, they're not going to care one bit about your creativity. They want to know if you can form two coherent sentences together and stick to the topic. Coming up with something creative and new is the least of your concerns. I'd save all your creative energy for yourself and people who will appreciate it.

9. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Some schools don't care about that either. I remember my friend getting really good grades for an incoherent piece of crap. It told a story, but the grammar, spelling, and syntax was really bad.

10. HelloThere

HelloThere Senior Member

One day a student struggled with their homework. Have you read the forum rules? I believe there's a rule against schoolwork on here. If you are being judged on the originality of your story then you shouldn't really be asking for help with that aspect of it, however this would be an unfair criteria to mark a high school student on, and I assume that you will be marked on the quality of your writing instead.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  11. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

When someone is referred to as a dead man walking, it usually means that someone is going to kill them/has placed a price on their head and this information is widely acknowledged within their social group, whatever that may be.
    If you take this as the general interpretation to what that phrase means and work backwards from there, you could imagine a plethora of circumstances that could have resulted in your protagonist gaining such a mantle.

12. Vandor76

Vandor76 Senior Member

@Taya Stevens : if "Dead Man Walking" is one of the titles you can choose from, the teacher does not want you to write an original story. The topic is so overdone that expecting someone to come up with something original is definitely out of scope in a school.