1. Slappydappy

Slappydappy New Member

The Chronicle of Amber (Corwin cycle)

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Slappydappy, Apr 10, 2012.

I just finished the first Chronicles of Amber series (Corwin cycle). I felt that the books started off slowly, but just got fantastic near the middle to end. Zelazny is my favorite author by far. By the time Corwin is walking to the end of reality, I felt like I was there with them. Which brings me to the themes of the novels.

It seems that Corwin has to find a way to save Amber, but that requires faith and hope. He does not know if Oberon has failed in repairing the pattern, if Amber can be saved, if Brand is still a threat, and if the Courts of Chaos are going to win the battle. Every single thing tells him not move on with his quest, that he has failed, that it's all over.

Before he leaves with the jewel, Oberon's hand orchestrates all these events. Oberon is like an invisible God-like hand, moving events, in order to save the world. And finally, Corwin must trust him. Oberon's orders and methods don't seem logical, but Corwin has no choice. The end is coming.

He simply must act on faith. He leaves with the jewel, with no real information, and not knowing what is going to happen. But he stays true to his course, all the way to the end. And even when everything is gone, and there's nothing left, and the storm is threatening to sweep him away, he decides to create a new world right where he is standing. He puts the staff in the ground and creates a new primal pattern, having no idea what the results will be.

I had actually just gotten home from the gym and was dead tired and dehydrated, but I stayed up for 2 hours finishing The Courts of Chaos and I felt like I was with him the entire time. Just crazy how into it I got.

The ending was very open, it appears the original pattern held, and Oberon succeeded, but sacrificed himself to do so. I feel that the series is too complex for me to really break down right now, this is just my initial impression now that I done. I loved it as much as Lord of Light.

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I absolutely loved the series. Thanks for reminding me that it's been way too long since I re-read it!

3. names

names New Member

It was probably my favorite series I read in high school. It seems to preach the god theme a lot but has a lot of fantastical elements that make it seem like a good read imo.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

A very very good series. I learned a lot about writing by reading, rereading and studying the works of Zelazny. If you enjoy his writing, consider Creatures of Light and Darkness, A Night in the Lonesome October, and Lord of Light.

Also, the Chronicles of Amber are avaiable as audiobooks, read by Roger Zelazny himself! He's an excellent narrator, and who would know the characters better?

5. Slappydappy

Slappydappy New Member

Read em all. I loved Isle of the Dead too. I'm trying to read the rest of his works, my favorite author ever.