The Cop's Gender

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Charisma, Jul 19, 2014.

1. TheBaconThief

TheBaconThief Member

I see what you mean. But I wasn't really thinking about her personality when I wrote that. I was thinking more towards avoiding the mentality of her being a romantic interest for the main character. She can still have a dynamic personality that plays off well with the main character. It's just that thought of her becoming a potential love interest is going to be at the back of peoples' heads and that's something you wanted to avoid.

Regarding the male counterpart, I was thinking more towards avoiding cliches with having two male leads seen in the same genre and the having a developed personality is what would make the story stand out a bit more.

Ultimately, it is up to you to decide what direction to go. I'm simply just thinking of ideas how I would approach it.

2. Bjørnar Munkerud

Bjørnar Munkerud Senior Member

I like it when the gender isn't made into a point in cases where it doesn't matter. That being said, in most cases it does matter in some way, shape or form.

It seems to me that you have many choices as to where you could go with this Gonzales gender thing. My advice is to consider it an interesting and fun opportunity, and not another of those boring decisions that just have to be made. You could decide on a gender, make any necessary (or otherwise desired) amends as you wish and state his/her sex the moment he/she's introduced, decide never to tell the reader either way (regardless of whether you know yourself) or you could make some sort of plot twist out of his/her sex. If Gonzales' sex suddenly matters in the middle or end of the book and you haven't specified it yet, you could also just do it then. As a cop I'm sure Gonzales knows, and possibly utilises, the differences in physical differences and public perceptions of gender roles, so/and you could make a deal out of him/her needing to go undercover as someone, get into a men's/women's restroom, get romantically involved with someone or whatever. What matters is that the character is insteresting, realistic and that any sub-plots etc. you choose to employ/pursue need to make sense and not just be a contrived and outdated gender role stereotype fest. It can be very intriguing and powerful topic as well, though.

Harry Potter came to mind when writing this thread, specifically Goblet of Fire with the tensions between Ron and Hermione about the Yule Ball and all the subsequent stuff and about their relationship and those with Viktor and Lavender, as well as Harry's with Ginny, Cho and, to an extent, Luna. You could look at similar examples you can think of from fiction you like and get ideas for how this can be done well.

Good luck. :)