1. JanesLife

JanesLife New Member

The Crossword

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JanesLife, Jul 3, 2008.

I have done the crossword each day of my life since I was about 11. Of course, I can't always complete it, but I have learned so much over my crossword years. It is one of my most-important staples. Having just completed today's (NYtimes & Washington Post), I was just wondering about others' crossword experiences.

Does anyone else do the crossword? Just the Monday's and Tuesday's? How fast can you do it? Which newspaper's/magazine's crossword do you do? Or, do you hate those stuck-up crossword puzzlers? Do you wish they would all go fall in a ditch? Just wondering.

2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I love doing the crosswords. My dad got me hooked on them- he gets them weekly in the Air Force newspaper, and they were nice and easy for me to cut my puzzle-solving teeth on. Now whenever we're at a restaurant and we're bored, we pull out a crossword and pen and get workin'.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I used to do crosswords, but got out of the habit. I don't usually set that much time aside any more for that kind of game.

I always preferred to do them in pen, though. And I hate sports and geography references.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've done the ny times crosswords since i could spell... used to help my dad do them, then by high school, subscribed at the student discount just for the puzzle, dumped the rest of the paper not even looking at the headlines... would do 'em in algebra or other boring class... dailies got too easy too quickly, so i eventually game them up and did only the sunday... never did any of them in pencil, only ballpoint [after they were invented!... till then, had to suffer with bleeding ink]...

in the many years since i could no longer get the paper, i've been ordering the compiled collections from amazon... sunday's only, of course... but even those are too easy/quick, so i also get the collected acrostics from the times and others by middleton, who turns out the most challenging ones... sadly, they're harder and harder to come by...

whenever people ask how they improve their vocabulary, guess what's the first thing i tell them to do?

5. Strawman

Strawman New Member

I usually helped my dad complete the crossword puzzle at least once a week. I never knew enough answers to really help, but it was a nice way to spend time together while eating breakfast.