The Cult of Shakespeare?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Goldenclover179, Oct 2, 2016.

1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Bigger than Trump's.

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

To be fair, I've seen several Shakespeare plays at The Globe itself and I still don't see the appeal.

But unlike the OP, it doesn't make me angry. :D

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Ignoring the troll - because i can't handle three in one day - Shakespeare did write some clangers , Cymbeline springs strongly to mind as a play thats lesser know for a good reason ( I did that at A level english), however theres no denying the richness of most of the mainstream plays - i particularly liked the merchant of venice, and also romeo and juliet particularly for the character of Juliets nurse.

Mind you in terrms of truly tiresome books we were made to study at school Shakespear pales into insignificance alongside thomas hardy - far from the madding crowd wasn't too bad but under the ***king greenwood tree was dire... and George Elliot , Mill on the floss made me want to gouge my own eyes out with my biro rather than read another chapter. Shakespeare has never had that effect

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  4. G. Anderson

G. Anderson Active Member

I used to not understand Shakespeare, or at least not understand what the big deal about his writing was. But I'm educated in theatre and had too study him for ever, and I must admit that I am convinced.
    I love his characters and his wit. Though today he is admired as one of the elite, I find that his writing style is refreshingly non-elite. Does any one else have the same feeling?
    I guess it's the same reason I like a lot of pop songs :)

Actually, I have to say Shakespeare is one of my big inspirations. But he takes some time getting used to.

Catrin Lewis likes this.