1. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty New Member

the death of death

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Suffering-is-Beauty, May 2, 2013.

I have this idea I'm trying to get my incipid mind around but not fully able to comprehend what it is i'm trying to figure out. perhaps another persepective might help.

here it is and its gunna sound strange the angle I'm taking.

in the beginning there was nothing, but because their cant actually be nothing their had to be something. perhaps the very first thing there ever was was a concept of nothingness that was so great that it almost attained said nothingness. then a spark like the first flickering of consciousness and bam you have the universe. it expands and contracts in rifts that to us seem an eternity, but are in fact nothing more than the blink of an eye. the passing of a thought. death followed for their cannot be life without death.

life in essence is a meanlingless term for the constructs that we call life really are nothing more than inatimate elements that have formed together to create a vessel for consciousness. so death must ultimately seek out consciousness for that is the only thing that grants life, however insignificant the consciousness may be.

where I'm going with this is that in the eons that stretch beyond eternity when all possible outcomes have unfolded their would be nothing left for consciousness to learn. no possible knowledge for it to discover for even free will will have in turn played out all possible outcomes on all possible levels of existance. it would in turn fade back into the realm of nothingness, and when consciousness is left to contemplate nothing, could death in turn die or possibly cease to exist for there would be no consciousness left for it to consume.

I know that someone will say that their are infinite possibilities and my idea dosn't work, but there really arn't infinite possibilities. at some point given enough time all things will come to pass. much like the idea that pie goes on forever or the idea that two parralel lines could go on forever without touching. its a concept as we have no way of knowing because we can not fathom it. lets say that pie goes on forever, but in truth if you were to take it to the quadrillionth or even the sextillionth integer it may in fact end, and we just don't realise it as we can't possibly calculate it that far.

but if the cycle of the apitamy of consciousness is to in fact cycle through sheer nothingness as a result of absolute knowledge does death truly die or is it death merely the melding of consciousness and experiences and in fact the actual essence of complete omnisiant knowledge.

It's an idea i've been thinking about lately, and just curious if it makes sense or perhaps i'm just talking nonsense in my head. its for a short story I'm working on. any thoughts appreciated.

2. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

I'll not comment on the ins and outs of this stream-of-consciousness philosophy because, well, I don't want to. As I was reading it though, the thought occurred to me that this would work well as a monologue for one of your characters; or perhaps this could be a dialog through which you can further explore this philosophy from a variety of perspectives.

3. squishytheduck

squishytheduck New Member

4. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

You are bringing up millennia old metaphysical topics. One of Archimedes' principle arguments was the avoidance of infinite regress, Sir Thomas Aquinas used this argument for the existence of God. Simply put, you have to have a force, entity, construct, whatever that is not bound by the physics of the universe to begin the universe. The fallacy of infinite regress is that the universe is infinite in both directions- past and present.

What was before the big bang? Infinite mass. Why? gravitational attraction. Why? etc. etc. etc. sideways eight.

Like you said, if an infinite amount of time passes all outcomes will eventually take place. If one of the outcomes of the universe is the universe dying, and the universe is infinitely 'old', then it would have already happened and we would not be here; ergo, there has to be an independent outside force to have set it in motion.

When talking about the universe, anything insignificant as life or consciousness is just an outcome of a chemical reaction (I know, very Carl Sagan). The universe would still be here if we weren't, right? Can the universe go on forever. In a closed system the entropy of the universe could reach zero and no more 'work' can be done. An open system would have a limit of zero. Maybe zero entropy of the universe is the great death which you are looking for

5. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Pi is a number that goes on forever. Endless Pie is something Mr. Wonka has yet to bless the world with.

1 person likes this.
  6. LordKyleOfEarth

This really belongs in the workshop forum, since you are looking for feedback pertaining to a story that you are working on.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Not going to comment on the topic (or even the sentence) right now, but the above error caught my eye when I was skimming the post.

8. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Who says there can't be nothing?

9. LordKyleOfEarth

Nobody

10. Kaidonni

Kaidonni Member

He did invent chewing gum that lasts forever. Mind you, lots of his sweets didn't have beneficial effects, and I don't fancy blowing up into a ball and turning blue...

11. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

actually, that was an everlasting gobstopper;)

12. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty New Member

I was actually just looking for thoughts on the subject so that when i get to the part in my short story it makes a little more sense.

Thanks to those that tried to help