1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

The Devil We Know?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daniel, Jun 7, 2007.

I've heard this saying or quote several times recently... never heard it before. Anyone know what it means?

2. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    It means sticking with someone or something that is somewhat bad for you, rather then risking something new that may be worse.

Example: Even though the government is found to be corrupt and out of ideas, it keeps winning elections because no one is quite sure what the main opposition party will do if they win.
    Its better to keep the low level and low key corruption going to keep the status quo, then risk a nasty upheaval with a new party.

1 person likes this.
  3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

"The devil we know" refers to an undesirable but well understood alternative, suggesting that it is a better choice than a poorly understood alternative that could ultimately be found to be far worse.

I don't have any good references to offer, unfortunately. I did check a couple of phrase/quotation books I have to no avail.

1 person likes this.
  4. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Sorta like this...

My boss retired..she was wicked..but the boss that could replace her could be potentially more wicked. Therefore, the devil i know, is what is familiar and the more favorable alternative to taking the chance that it could be worse.

1 person likes this.
  5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the whole proverb is:

and it does mean that you're better off with a bad thing you're used to, than risking a change over to what could be a worse one... such as a leader...

1 person likes this.
  6. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Haha. Thanks guys. I figured it meant something along those lines, but I wasn't particularly familiar with it.