The Doctor Option

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

damn ungood, you stole my answer.

no but seriously though, i don't see everyone as equal. if you go around shooting people and contribute nothing to society except a ****ty "why me?" attitude then, in my opinion, your life is irrelavent. i don't care about your sob story, or what made you the way you are. i am sorry for the horrible physical and sexual abuse that created most of the world's serial killers, but the fact remains that they are serial killers, and if the choice was mine, they would all be dead serial killers.

if that baby was going to be raised by a violent klan member in some shack in the deep south, i'd prolly let it die, not a high probability of him growing up and not being an butthole.

teenager, what everyone said before me.

granny, i'd want to save her most. haven't met that many old ladies i've ever wanted to kill (let die)... the only one that comes to mind is tony soprano's mom... gahhd what a evil old hag. still, i'd end up going with the teen if possible but only out of personal obligation to logic and reason, if emotion ruled i'd save granny, whether she wanted me to or not.

**sniff** i miss you granny.

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Wouldn't that make you a serial killer too?

I've met a few, and wouldn't have a problem whatsoever.

3. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

in much the same way people who are for the death penalty are serial killers.

... another debate?

4. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I would save the teenager as hopefully the baby will not really realise they are going to die, and the old person has already experienced their lives, so they are both out of luck.

As for looking at the teenagers life and seeing that they "deserve" the antidote as they are not a nasty person, I do not think it is my decision to decide they have not been good enough to deserve to live ... that is not my decsicion to make, and it would be rather hyporcritical of me since I have done things that are not exactly good in my life, and yet I am going to restrict someone from having their life because they do not deserve it.

No, I would give it to the teenager regardless of what they have done in life. Maybe it will be the thing they need to change their life and turn it around.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

People are born equal, but their choices are what make them no longer equal.

Heather, the conditions of the question do make it your decision. However, if you are in that position, you have the right to decide what factors are most relevant to your decision - apart from ethical strictures imposed by the law and your profession.

This is another potential landmine of a topic. It very closely approaches issues like abortion and euthenasia, so everyone please proceed with caution, and above all respect for others with differing views.

6. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I know that I, with answering this question, am putting myself in a situation where I am to decide who should keep their life ... but in the case where I am looking at it, I am looking at it in a way that is impartial to the personality and qualities of the person, and just looking at it in a practical way.

Also, what is to say that if I give this baby a chance in life, they are not going to grow up to be the next Hilter ?? In my opnion, I would say if I was to make a decision like that, i would have to do it by remiaing detached from these people ... and just looking at it on a practical basis.

Also, I disagree with this statement. I think that no matter what your choices in life, people are always equal. I mean ... you could look at two children. One is an A* pupil, always doing homework, never getting in trouble ... perfect behaviour. The other one is an underage drinker, failing half of their subjects, smoker etc etc. Because this person has made bad choices throughout their life, does it make them any less equal to the perfectly behavaded pupil.

Also, someone may be a horrible person to children, for example, and on a scale, that may loose them, 10 points. But they may love dogs, whch gains them 2 points, and they're a vegetarian, which gains them 3, all of that sort of thing. Does other things not equal out the bad ??

Now I know I am going to have a torret of people telling me it is about limits and boundaries ... but who sets the boundries. Who decides what is good enough, and what is too bad that they to dnot desevre a life.

So not, I do not beleive that people are any less equal no matter what their choices in life. The perfectly behaved, model worker, is just as equal to the serial killer in terms of who deserves their life.