1. Skipdonahue

Skipdonahue Member

The Dreaded Synopsis

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Skipdonahue, Oct 12, 2007.

So, I will be finishing my first novel before the end of next month, and for the first time in my life, I'm at a loss for words.

I have published articles and guides and I have no problem sitting down and writing 15 pages of manuscript in one sitting, but here I am, sweating over what I have to do when my novel is finally completed.

The synopsis!

I just can't seem to put it to words in the length I know it's going to have to be. This is perhaps why I'm not a short story writer :p

Any tips on the dreaded writing of the synopsis? Any resources?

Thanks all.

Skip

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

first of all, you'll need to write several versions, as if you weren't freaked out enough already!

there's the one-paragraph version that goes into your query, then there's a 1-5 page 'short' one that some agents/publishers require and a 'long' 5-10 page one that others may call for...

as for resources, writer's market has some good advice to offer on the subject, as do other writers' resource books/websites... but there's a lot more bad advice out there, so be careful who you listen to...

basically, as far as mechanics go, the synopsis is typed single-spaced in times new roman 12 pt and should be in present tense... writing-wise, it should lay out the plot and introduce the characters in a compelling enough fashion that the readers will know all that happens in the book and be eager to read the ms...

3. Skipdonahue

Skipdonahue Member

Yeah, in my opinion: The shorter, the harder it is to write, especially for a 145,000 word novel. I'm a member on writersmarket, I'll go take a peek over there. I didn't see any articles on it, but I'll look again, thanks :)