1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. Skipdonahue

Skipdonahue Member

The Dreaded Synopsis

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Skipdonahue, Oct 12, 2007.

So, I will be finishing my first novel before the end of next month, and for the first time in my life, I'm at a loss for words.

I have published articles and guides and I have no problem sitting down and writing 15 pages of manuscript in one sitting, but here I am, sweating over what I have to do when my novel is finally completed.

The synopsis!

I just can't seem to put it to words in the length I know it's going to have to be. This is perhaps why I'm not a short story writer :p

Any tips on the dreaded writing of the synopsis? Any resources?

Thanks all.

Skip

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

first of all, you'll need to write several versions, as if you weren't freaked out enough already!

there's the one-paragraph version that goes into your query, then there's a 1-5 page 'short' one that some agents/publishers require and a 'long' 5-10 page one that others may call for...

as for resources, writer's market has some good advice to offer on the subject, as do other writers' resource books/websites... but there's a lot more bad advice out there, so be careful who you listen to...

basically, as far as mechanics go, the synopsis is typed single-spaced in times new roman 12 pt and should be in present tense... writing-wise, it should lay out the plot and introduce the characters in a compelling enough fashion that the readers will know all that happens in the book and be eager to read the ms...

3. Skipdonahue

Skipdonahue Member

Yeah, in my opinion: The shorter, the harder it is to write, especially for a 145,000 word novel. I'm a member on writersmarket, I'll go take a peek over there. I didn't see any articles on it, but I'll look again, thanks :)