The Dream Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SonnehLee, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Joanna the Mad

Joanna the Mad New Member

Hmm that could very well be the case. It always seems very real. One time I heard someone hissing and another time I thought someone was breaking in. So maybe I'm like half awake hallucinating. It's scary! Especially after having seen paranormal activity, brrrr...

2. thenewpeter

thenewpeter New Member

Dreams which inspire

So, has anyone here had a dream thats inspired them to write? If so, what was that dream?

Here's my openning dream, a bit of an oldie now, but one thats always stuck:

I stood alone, everything around me was black. From the blackness, someone materialised, he looked at me, smiling, lone of those big creepy grims.
    I asked who he was.
    He replied, 'why does it matter?'
    His head spasmed, but his body remained completely still, his head moving towards one shoulder and disapearing into himself whilse another began to grow out on the other side. He had a different head stairing at me now.
    'I am no one, as are you'
    The blackness and everything sudenly changed to an empty street.
    I walked down it, people without faces walked past, one was eating something... but there was no mouth. I began to run, running back in nothingness. Then fell.
    Next thing, I sat in my living room, it was decrepid, plans where growing on the walls, moss and mold growing from everywhere... I stood and walked into my middle room, my tv was on, as was my x-box, something staired at me fromthe screen, watching me walk. When I stood in front of it, it screamed soundlessly, then began headbutting the tv screen. The tv moved slightly with each hit, a small crack apearing.
    I turned and ran for my back door, hearing something smashing, running back into blackness, I turned and fell, it pounced ontop of me, looking directly into my eyes, it's face changing, becoming a moving veil of skin, a hole apearing where there should of been a mouth.
    'Who are you?'
    Thats the last thing I remember before I woke up...

3. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Dream thread

I thought it would be interesting for people to post their dreams and for others discuss or give their inturpretation. I'll kick it off.

"I was racing down a road on a quad bike following someone (not sure what they were riding). We ended up in a room with lots of books and some other people. I picked up one called 'Marvel universe' and as I did one of the people grew long wolverine style claws and started trying to stab me. I blocked with the book and started backing away. He followed and stabbed me, so I played dead but he continued. At this point I died." I couldn't remember the rest.

4. Cordoma

Cordoma New Member

The race down the road represents your journey towards becoming a published author, which is represented by the room with lots of books. The marvel universe and other people are the millions of characters that you wish to create in your fiction. However, you can't control them, and they attack you. Instead of controlling them and becoming their master, you give up and fall to the ground, where, because of your surrender, they destroy you. As a result, you remain in the same state you are now.

The dream will probably repeat itself in some other form. Your reaction to it will determine whether it will continue.

5. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

Hmm... I began recording my dreams from last night, as I often do when I have the time in the morning, but found it to be unutterably tedious. Out of boredom I began browsing through the archives, seeing how many details from old dreams I could still dredge up from memory. I still find this one amusing, even quite some time later:

...But to step farther back, first, to the last part I can remember… Something about a… yes, that was it! But (as has happened several times in the past to me when dreaming) I found myself living in the midst of what must have been a videogame. Several videogames, really. First it was the fourth Elder Scrolls game -- Oblivion -- and it seemed I was within the game itself, and directing a few other players with hints and tips concerning a quest; they were making a terrible mess of it, really, and the NPC knights and their squires kept roaming aimlessly about, accidentally hacking at one another with their swords, just as apt to slaying themselves as the enemy. I gave up in frustration at one point, I think, when someone shouted "So-and-So's down!", and laughed out of amusement, and I realized that neither of the players I was helping even cared. (I had myself, when playing that particular segment, been terribly nitpicky, not allowing anyone to die. Though it was a pain, and involved a great deal of saving and reloading and replying of long chunks of the quest -- I played the game on a console, and there was no easy way to bring the unique NPCs back once dead.)

Then there was a shift, and this time I (and yes… I am quite serious about the next portions of the dream here.) observed a fight between some nameless hero I don't remember and a rather strange enemy. A mixture of enemies, really. At first it might have merely seemed one of those baton-wielding soldiers from the latest Final Fantasy, but he was being directed by a midget-like woman who was, quite literally, riding on his back -- not dissimilar from the way the jockey zombies latch onto of their hosts in the second Left4Dead game. Yet, as I said, the zombie was not a zombie at all but… well… a cross between the female version of Commander Shepard that one of my roommates had recently been playing Mass Effect 2 with, and one of the little twisted hobgoblin creatures from Fable II. A midget Shepard, I guess.

Whatever the case, the strange apparition was summarily killed (not without changing several times, at one point appearing as a pegasus crossed with a unicorn), and only then did I come to the realization that the zombie/woman/hobb on his back was, in fact, -not- what it seemed, but someone's little pet frog! Though a strange frog at that -- living, like any animal, but all made up of felt, stuffed and with little beady eyes. Yet remarkably lifelike because it was, after all, actually -alive-. Though it had stopped breathing, and someone who I can't quite put a face or a name to was close to tears, as their frog had nearly been killed.

So, I… well… did the only thing I could think of at the time. That being taking the little frog up and performing a bit of resuscitation! Quite literally, too. Pressing down on his tiny little chest with my thumbs, breathing into his odd little mouth, each puff a little stronger. Though I found it incredibly difficult for some reason. I kept breathing in, at first, sucking the air -out- of his lungs. I figured it out eventually, and before long had brought the half-dead frog back to some semblance of life. At least, he was smiling and hopping about quite contentedly alongside his overjoyed owner.

I shifted elsewhere after that, a drive-in movie theatre this time, only a few minutes before the movie was about to begin. I seemed to be looking for someone, or something, and wandered about a good bit before eventually coming across a number of nameless and rather featureless dream-people who were clustered near their car, talking. For some reason or another, they had come to the realization that they had several pounds of marijuana in the car with them, and were debating what, precisely, they should do with it -- no one could remember how it had gotten there or who it belonged to, and no one quite wished to take responsibility for the stuff. They wanted me to dispose of it for them, but I wasn't exactly interested, instead I left, and never did find out what the movie was about, or who I was looking for.

Though things become a bit hazy from there. I suppose my dream-self spent some time attempting to find a suitable place to dispose of something, before I realized that it wasn't my problem, but theirs, and I had nothing to dispose at all. I remember coming to a street crossing of some sort, and being accosted by several students attempting to sell me shirts for a fundraiser of some sort… they coerced me into playing a silly activity or game of some sort with them, involving pulling on a clothesline and piling all the shirts for sale up at my feet, and then deciding which one I most wanted to buy.

I did not want to buy any.

I grabbed my things again and walked off through the street that was no longer a street, but now the aisles to an office… though it was built outside. Or something along those lines. Desks and little cubicle walls set up all about, complete with computers and copiers and other such office equipment, but grass and blue sky and sun also above.

My dreaming took me on several other rather strange little journeys, culminating, I think, in arriving at a rather strange and warped version of one of the buildings here on campus -- though in my dream it was not at all a typical college building on the inside, but rather an old mansion of some sort, replete with rich, paneled walls and ceilings, a long staircase descending several flights… I was looking for my advisor, and had finally found her office when -- of all things -- I simply no longer cared and found myself turning to wander off elsewhere. The top of the building would be more interesting, I told myself.

Then everything shifted again, and I was in the living room of my house, though at the same time not my living room. As in the dream it was a house owned by someone else… a cross between three things, really. The basement of a house that I had worked on only a few weeks before leaving for college, the living room in my house and a generic hotel room. I was doing the same job I had been working at before, hanging soffits along the ceiling so that a new layer of drywall could be hung -- though that part, in my dream, was already finished. And for some reason I was repeating it all over again, putting up yet -another- wood soffit, and then nailing plywood (of all things) to that. It made little in the way of sense, and I was rather upset at the prospect of repeating all the work I had only just begun to work on.

My father appeared, at some point, and strangely enough seemed incredibly happy to help with the job, almost as though he were eager to do something so incredibly dull! Fortunately, scenes shifted again -- either to waking, or to something forgotten, or maybe to the very first part I mentioned. the purchasing and outfitting of a spaceship!

Throughout it all, aside from my father, there was really no one I recognised as an actual person throughout the dream's entirety -- almost a dream had completely amongst a caste of strangers, and even those people I thought I might have known as someone were so vague in features that I could never really be certain.

6. Cordoma

Cordoma New Member

Clumsywordsmith, after reading your dream, I must say that I am very proud, and mean this with the absolute sincerity. I'm very happy for you.

7. Nicki_G

Nicki_G Member

Last night, I had this really weird dream. My boyfriend had bought a house and told me to come and see it, when I walked in, the place was covered in spider webs and there were spiders everywhere! When I found him, he said that he couldn't get rid of the spiders because if he got rid of one, the rest would die. So I tried to kill them myself by stepping on them but they wouldn't die. Finally, one jumped on my hand and bit my pointer finger; it hurt so bad. Then when I finally got out of the house, my boyfriend and his friends con-ed me into going back in. I woke up when the spiders started crawling all over me. CREEPY! YUCK!

8. Nicki_G

Nicki_G Member

Last night, I had this really weird dream. My boyfriend had bought a house and told me to come and see it, when I walked in, the place was covered in spider webs and there were spiders everywhere! When I found him, he said that he couldn't get rid of the spiders because if he got rid of one, the rest would die. So I tried to kill them myself by stepping on them but they wouldn't die. Finally, one jumped on my hand and bit my pointer finger; it hurt so bad. Then when I finally got out of the house, my boyfriend and his friends con-ed me into going back in. I woke up when the spiders started crawling all over me. CREEPY! YUCK!

9. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Few nights ago, I had an odd dream.

Basically, it was two seperate scenes but they were connected.

SCENE #1- A tall, elderly man. I could see him clearly. He wore a vest that was black on the back and yellow on the front. He wore black breeches, white stockings, and black boots. I easily pinpointed him to being in the 1700s.

He was on his knees strangling some poor sod just off the dirt road. I couldn't see much of the poor dead guy, however. The old man sure was pissed off though...

SCENE #2- Took place much later apparently. The scene was now at a dock where sailors were loading crates of supplies onto a vessel. A quick glance at the flag told me that this was a British vessel. I see the old man once again, in his same outfit. This time, he's with a little boy who's about 9. The way the man supported the boy's shoulders and the boy groping at the rope of the gangway told me the boy was likely blind.

I woke up feeling very confused. Who was the man the elder was killing? Who was the boy the elder was guiding into the ship? Why is the elder taking him into the ship? What does he plan to do with the boy? Is there a relation between the boy and the now strangled man?

Weird dreams...

10. Nicki_G

Nicki_G Member

This sounds like a very interesting writing prompt. You could definitely experience with the relationships and dive into this dream creating a wonderful piece that brings readers in.

11. Kinch

Kinch New Member

I had a dream last night, in which, um, I had an NFL team, and my punter was, uh, Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran.

I don't know either.

12. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

Had a dream two nights ago. I don't like it. I know that my mind is subconsciously trying to tell me something, and I know what it is, but I don't want to hear it. Here's how it went....

I was at a grocery store and I was holding my dachshund. (I have no idea what the dog part was about.) While walking through the store I looked down an isle and there was this girl of similar age there and she looked over at me. (One of those awkward moments that you have when someone sees you looking at them.) There was some non-explainable mental connection between us, but out of embarrassment I just turned my head and walked away. We kept running into each other (Wait for it.) though, and eventually (Wait for it.) she just expresses her love to me. (Cheese bomb has been dropped.) Of course this is a dream so it felt completely real and emotional. During the dream I even questioned whether or not it was a dream, but that thought passed by faster than it came. (Almost made it lucid!) Afterwards I woke up feeling like crap because it all turned out to be fake.

I have no girl in my life at the moment, but everyone in my family does, but I just push it off like I don't care and that I'm just going to remain single. I have no social skills whatsoever so I just feel like I'm utterly screwed. So yea, I think the meaning of the dream is quite obvious.

13. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

For weeks in a row I had dreams of gray fog that covered everything and my voice was too weak to say anything.

14. Prism

Prism Banned

The most recent interesting dream I had was a bit of a murder mystery. My friend -- henceforth known as J -- was for some reason tasked with caring for his (technically non-existent) hospitalized niece for hours each day. Apparently needing a break, he goes fishing on the grounds and, when he returns, the niece has been burned to death.

Because he was not there to care for her and because it was generally thought to have been caused by something preventable, J is blamed by family and friends for her death.

Eventually I make it to the hospital and after examining the body come to the conclusion that she was murdered. Bound and determined the erase the guilt from my friend's mind and direct attention away from his slip-up, I set out to gather clues and interrogate witnesses to discover who was really responsible. I didn't actually get very far in this before I woke up, but I did question one witness who outright stated that he believed the murderer to be one of the nurses, heard said nurse give some sort of false-sounding alibi and shift blame to someone else, and conclude that the niece was burned alive because her hands were tied behind her back.

As I was waking up but still in that not-fully-awake daze, a thought popped into my mind that perhaps J was the murderer. After all, he was a boyscout for years and therefore could conceivably have tied the complicated knot binding her hands, AND he had the motive of being forced to care for her which between that and work barely left him any room to live.

I wonder who was truly guilty?

15. Luna13

Luna13 Active Member

I broke into my friend's house and went to her basement and stole four small square rugs. Later, after I had sucessfully escaped, I realised I could fly.

16. Em_Anders

Em_Anders Member

I had a dream within a dream last night.

I was a descendant of pixies a la Tinker Bell, but could change into normal human size at will. I had dreamed of a Prince with a gold and jeweled egg. When I woke up from that dream, it was into the Pixie dream where I had to find someone and kept searching this old, dirty city for them (don't know who I was looking for but got the impression it was a child). In the process of searching, I ran into the Prince from my other dream and ran away from him only to end up searching for him because his stupid egg opened the secret to accessing an alternate dimension I suspected the person I was searching for had been taken to. In my search for the Prince I happened upon another pixie who knew how to get into the alternate dimension without the Prince's golden egg and even took me there, but the dimension rejected me. I ended up flying around a carnival trapped under an invisible net of sorts, unable to escape the human world but not able to get into the other dimension again either. And all the while I was trapped in the carnival, I was trying to remember the words to a nursery rhyme that I'd been promised would help me escape whatever situation I find myself in. At the last second I was captured by a little girl in a large slurpee cup, and then I woke up.

17. RaeRae

RaeRae Member

90% of All my stories come from dreams I have/had. I do not interpret them because they are so chaotic and lucid. I just create the stories based on the content and they are usually sci fi in nature. Guess my soul is an alien and wishes for home which is not Earth or a facsimile of. If anyone wants to interpret this one, go ahead: December 1, 2012-A group of new hires from an employment agency are their assignment which is a large corporate office. They are on time and signing in for the day on a sheet posted on an office door. One of the men accidentally pushes the door open a crack and gets a glimpse of some of the office workers during a meeting in their "true form". He thinks nothing of it and goes to wait with the rest of the temp workers in the break room. A young woman and I ask the front desk lady if there are extra time sheets for us.
    Over the course of the assignment, one of the execs gets more agitated by the fact she and some others had been seen by the male temp worker. Their true form is like that of demons with black wings and bright blood red eyes. During an afternoon break, she decides to attack him in the hallway.It causes a back lash and the other execs notify their demon community. The heads wait to see if they need to step in. A younger worker with shoulder length blonde hair tries to reason with her but he is shoved so hard he flies backward down the hall and hits the wall. One of the community heads uses a gold cloth to signal the other heads who are strategically in a nearby park ready for action. They all drop red or gold cloths to reply.
    The crazed exec needs to be stopped because she is now in a crouched position with eyes glowing red ready to go max speed and ram the young man still against the wall. The man who originally saw her, decides to make a move and try to block her when she gets halfway in an attempt to save the young man. Just as he steps into the hall, the community execs do so and shut her down. They tell her and everyone at the office that as long as no one reveals their true nature, everything will be fine. We all agree and the man reiterates that he didn't care in the first place. WE tell them that as long as we have a job and get a paycheck all is good.
    A little real world for that particular dream but it still has some other elements. Have at trying to figure that one out.

18. RaeRae

RaeRae Member

90% of All my stories come from dreams I have/had. I do not interpret them because they are so chaotic and lucid. I just create the stories based on the content and they are usually sci fi in nature. Guess my soul is an alien and wishes for home which is not Earth or a facsimile of. If anyone wants to interpret this one, go ahead: December 1, 2012-A group of new hires from an employment agency are their assignment which is a large corporate office. They are on time and signing in for the day on a sheet posted on an office door. One of the men accidentally pushes the door open a crack and gets a glimpse of some of the office workers during a meeting in their "true form". He thinks nothing of it and goes to wait with the rest of the temp workers in the break room. A young woman and I ask the front desk lady if there are extra time sheets for us.
    Over the course of the assignment, one of the execs gets more agitated by the fact she and some others had been seen by the male temp worker. Their true form is like that of demons with black wings and bright blood red eyes. During an afternoon break, she decides to attack him in the hallway.It causes a back lash and the other execs notify their demon community. The heads wait to see if they need to step in. A younger worker with shoulder length blonde hair tries to reason with her but he is shoved so hard he flies backward down the hall and hits the wall. One of the community heads uses a gold cloth to signal the other heads who are strategically in a nearby park ready for action. They all drop red or gold cloths to reply.
    The crazed exec needs to be stopped because she is now in a crouched position with eyes glowing red ready to go max speed and ram the young man still against the wall. The man who originally saw her, decides to make a move and try to block her when she gets halfway in an attempt to save the young man. Just as he steps into the hall, the community execs do so and shut her down. They tell her and everyone at the office that as long as no one reveals their true nature, everything will be fine. We all agree and the man reiterates that he didn't care in the first place. WE tell them that as long as we have a job and get a paycheck all is good.
    A little real world for that particular dream but it still has some other elements. Have at trying to figure that one out.

19. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

I know that I do dream, everyone does however I very, very rarely remember my dreams. Maybe 6-10 per year. I am not joking, dreams are a rare treat for me when I do remember them, but they stick for quite a long while. I still remember a dream from when I was about 10 years old (that is 10 years ago). It's vague but its still there.

20. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

This is indeed very likely sleep paralysis. My brother has it and he describes it in highly similar terms. He has told me that it's pretty unpleasant and scary. I would recommend you get a really loud alarm, maybe one with bells. That way your brain kickstarts into waking. You'll have a very slight scare when the alarm goes off but I think its much better than to suffer this sleep paralysis. Good luck with it!

21. cmshepard

cmshepard New Member

I had one as a child that I still think about now. It seems silly, but it sort of fits my life at the time.

I walked from my house to my mammaw's (she wasn't related, but I had grown up with her or I'd say grandmother), but she wasn't there. I explored her house, but to no avail. Then I found a trap door, opened it, and walked down the staircase to a faintly glowing room. The cause of the glow was a gigantic tank that held a whale and there was plenty of room for it to swim around comfortably. Being the little adventuresome tomboy that I was, I pulled off my shoes and hopped in while I was still wearing my night dress. I swam around near the surface for a bit, but eventually dove deeper. I then learned that I could breathe this water. And the whale talked.

I had this dream every night for several weeks. The whale and I became best friends. On the last day I had the dream I couldn't find the whale; he'd been replaced by a talking penguin. The penguin was mean.

I'm not sure if these dreams were lucid - I was so young I can't remember, but I was soooo sad that my whale was gone.

22. Em_Anders

Em_Anders Member

That's so sad you lost your dream whale. However, I am really jealous you had a pet dream whale. I had a recurring nightmare when I was five years old about the IT clown holding my dog hostage outside a circus tent, and each time I found them, I would stand there trying to figure out a way to distract the clown so I could free my dog. The last time I had the dream I succeeded in freeing my dog but was caught by the clown and was made to ride one of those 25-cent rides over and over again until I'd wake up.
    I would have paid money to trade you dreams. Whales are so much better than clowns!

23. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

In all of my dreams the following things happen, even if in different settings and situations:
    I always spit out mt teeth. Sometimes all of them, somtimes I feel them move and I pull them out.
    When I am talking to someone I know, after a while I realize I'm naked, and feel terribly ashamed.
    I never meet people I love in my dreams, I always meet peole I know in life, but never the ones I care about.