1. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Toronto doesn't stink!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rei, Jul 18, 2009.

The mayor does.

Has anyone seen the lastest Mcleans magazine? That's the mayor of Toronto, standing in a garbage can. As far as I'm concerned, that's where he belongs. This article from The Canadian Press is in several web sites, including www.citynews.ca. It's day 26 of the strike, and it seems like nobody is making any real effort to end it, no matter how many people are being hurt by it.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

That's shame.

I had it understood that Canadian cities are some of the cleanest to be found.

3. Rei

Toronto has been on a major decline in the last few years. I had nothing against the city when I left for college for years ago, but now I can't stand it. Generally, we are pretty clean. But this strike that includes the garbage collectors is ruining the city. One new citizen said that the city now reminds her of the country she left, which she says was one of the most polluted countries in the world. I mean, really, putting us ahead of Mexico! I'm sure it's a great country to visit, but I hear horror stories about the kinds of things that can happen there. None of that stuff happens to visitors here, and everyone is forgetting all the awesome stuff we do have. Heck, we host the Just for Laughs comedy festival that used to be in Montreal.

4. Azhigher

Azhigher Active Member

Everyone knows the only thing Canada is good for is producing great MMA fighters!

(GSP yeah!)

/sarcasm

Sucks man, garbage sitting around is no fun...

5. Rei

The worst part is that they are choosing parks, mostly in low-income neighbourhoods, as temporary dump sites.

Edit: I'm not sure if I should be amused that the advertisement on this thread is for a private garbage collector.

6. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

That's terrible! :(

I am, a little bit. You have to appreciate the irony...

7. Rei

It certainly is ironic.

8. SA Mitchell

SA Mitchell New Member

No, Google picks up words on the page to choose the ads(i.e. if we were talking about Hendrix it would be asking us is we want new ring tones).

9. I live in Toronto as well, but in a residential area. It's more messy in the downtown area, but this strike is getting on my nerves because even if it's resolved, give it another four months and it'll happen again.

And Toronto doesn't stink...

Go Leafs Go !! Woot Woot :)

10. Rei

I heard that they want to picket the ferry docks because some boats were set up for the people who live on the island. That's just disgusting. I was supposed to work at Centreville all summer. I lost my job because of those morrons.

11. M9A8E6S4TO

M9A8E6S4TO New Member

What's this "Canada" you speak of?

12. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

This.

I've been quiet on the strike so far because I'm somewhat conflicted over it- I have family in Toronto's children services department, and so in that sense I suppose I have a stake in the strike. On the other... this is just ridiculous. People are losing jobs, kids are being denied both daycare and recreational activities for what's become a huge part of the summer, and of course there's the garbage.

What bothers me on both sides is that there seems less interest in resolving the situation, and more in trying to prove which should be in control. In this entire four weeks, not one offer has been given to the actual union members to vote on, and it just keeps going on and getting worse.

And that's just awful.

13. Rei

Shall we go get Rick Mercer and pummel this guy with Tim Bits?

Anyway, their behaviour is getting worse every day. They're insulting to the people who don't give a damn about either side of the conflict and only want their city to be clean. They want to prevent people who live on the islands from getting home. And forcing people to break the car idling by-law. They're behaving like Bully Boys from a hundred years ago.

I've even heard rumours that one of the reasons the mayor is so apathetic about it is because of the street car deal. The city is saving millions of dollars every day, and the deal for the new street cars did not qualify for federal assistance. So basically, he just wants to get his money back. Windsor residents are going to get a city taxes refund. We're not going to be so lucky.

And I hear ya, Agreen. I support unions in principal. I know that they have logical reasons for what they want. The thing is, the city being so irresponsible with how they managed everything. Instead of making a bunch of smaller cuts with every city union that everyone can deal with, they allowed themselves to run out of money, so this union is taking the hit.