The English Language Thread

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Cacian, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

what is the difference between an author and a writer?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

It doesn't make sense to you. It may not be a construction that would be allowed in your native language, but it can be used in English, and it is used. In this construction, "...saw the fall..." means that the fall of the wall occurred during that year. It's not even slang; I believe that the expression would be perfectly correct in even formal academic writing.

I believe that more than once, when you've argued against a particular construction or phrasing, your argument has been that it can't be used because it's not literally accurate - in this case, because a wall cannot literally "see". But English, and no doubt many other languages, include expressions that are not literally true.

As well, _grammar_ doesn't care, not in the least, whether something is true or possible. I can say:

The can of paint opened its eyes and studied the Berlin Wall, as the wall waved its arms and recited poetry.

and while the events described cannot possibly be true, the _grammar_ of that sentence is perfectly correct.

I understand that you studied English. You seem to be assuming that few of us, or none of us, also studied English, and that therefore your knowledge is greater than that of anyone else on the forum. That is not correct. Being a native speaker _does_ confer a good deal of knowledge of one's native language, and many of the posters here are not only native speakers, but have studied the language formally.

You might do a great deal better simply to make your statements as questions, not declarations. Saying, "You can't use passive and active voice in different clauses of the same sentence." is incorrect and a declaration, and is likely to annoy people. Saying, "I was taught that you can't use passive and active voice in different clauses of the same sentence. Are you saying that this is not correct?" is far less offensive and more likely to lead to a productive discussion.

Please, give us the respect of assuming that we know our language. If nothing else, please change your debating style to one that presents your opinions as your opinions, and not as corrections coming from a teacher to ignorant students.

ChickenFreak

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I walked pass this sign and it said

'keep a close eye on your luggage' and then it had a picture of an EYE and inside the pupil of the eye it had a tiny picture of a briefcase.

my gut reaction was the picture does not describe the message.

does that happen to you with adverts?
    do you notice that what it says on the tin does not match the picture?

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'it saw' as used in that sentence is like an idiom, in that its meaning is clearly understood, whether it makes perfect sense when dissecting the sentence word for word, or not...

5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Actually I think that was pretty clear.

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

you think a picture depicting an eye with a briefcase right in the middle of the eye's pupil matches the
    ''keep a close eye on your luggage''?
    a briefcase is not luggage or belongings, it is a briefcase.
    funnily enough and because English is my second language, I first noticed the word 'CLOSE' which striked me as saying 'CLOSED' then I looked at the eye and thought
    ''damn it !!! that is an OPENED eye not a CLOSED one'
    then I thouhgt better of it and yes I understood what they meant but I still could realistically match the picture to what it was saying.
    This is just a story of how felt.:)

anyway if you give that picture to a child or a person and tell them to describe it in their own words I am about 60% sure their description would be anyhting but what the sign was actually saying.
    Just an idea.:)

7. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

To Bennet Cerf, maybe.

8. Cacian

Cacian Banned

hehe...quite funny..
    I like this one:
    Gross ignorance is 144 times worse than ordinary ignorance.
    I wonder what he meant by GROSS ignorance.

9. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

I don't.

10. Cacian

Cacian Banned

don't you?

11. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

I did, once upon a time, not so very long ago.

"Those were the days." KV2

12. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I see...well it is better then nothing I guess.
    I am not sure what KV2 means I am guessing it is a name.

13. Prophetsnake

Prophetsnake New Member

Kurt Vonnegut jr.
    Well, he was when he wrote that.

14. leafmould

leafmould New Member

A child is a person. You meant "a child or an adult".

Better would be "someone".

15. leafmould

leafmould New Member

A suitcase is a suitcase, but it is "luggage" when taken on a journey. Anything one owns is part of one's belongings.

Would a box of pencils constitute luggage? If taken on a journey, then yes. A small item of luggage, only, but luggage nevertheless.

Note...

The verb "to lug" is often used in Britain to to refer to the act of carrying something around laboriously. I've no idea if there's any connection with "luggage".

16. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

maybe it has to do with me being a writer. Writers are _usually_ people with a vivid imagination. If someone doesn't WANT to understand on the other hand, or want everything written on their nose, I guess everything in life is hard to understand, even with a text explaining the picture.

17. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Haha...sorry yes you are right a child or an adult, let's take the person out, of course:)

18. Cacian

Cacian Banned

this is not about vivid imagination , this a sign, warning people, you don't have time to stop and think.
    If a warning sign is imposed on a public space, then by right it should clear and to the point.
    People have not got time to think.
    remember those signs they get in your way and you are busy.
    so the less the better.
    You want to make a point about security then ensure it is clear and concise.
    This is just an opinion.

19. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Would a box of pencils constitute luggage? If taken on a journey, then yes. A small item of luggage, only, but luggage nevertheless.

Belongings or luggage means a group of things you carry otherwise it is refered as ''a something''.
    Notice the S after belongings it means more then one thing the same with luggage which is the same as baggage.
    A brifcase is not belongings or luggage because it is singular hence its name.

20. leafmould

leafmould New Member

This is the most ridiculous post of yours I've seen so far. Perhaps you should develop more respect for the many members here who give up time to help others. I've not been here long, but I find such replies totally insulting and irritating.

A briefcase can be luggage. A briefcase can be one of someone's belongings. There is nothing further to discuss.

Perhaps you should ask yourself this before you post:

"Should I really be expecting others to be interested in long, drawn-out discussions on absurd points of English which serve no purpose whatsoever in the quest for better writing?"

A simple question.

Many here have a passionate ambition to become a successful writer..............

(I'm waiting already - "How can many people become ONE successful writer?")

.........and time is precious in the real world.

To me, most of your posts here represent little more than a public show of self-indulgence. How do you see things, Cacian? Are you liked, or merely tolerated?

My intent with this post is not to offend you, but to bring you to boot.

That closing idiom, if you don't understand it?

'Google' it!

Please don't ask me why it is as it is, nor what it could be instead, nor what you think it should be.

Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  21. Slinkywizard

Slinkywizard New Member

A briefcase is luggage, baggage, an accoutrement, an accessory, a hat, a rain shelter, a container, a toboggan and many other things depending on whether you're carrying it, using it to set off an outfit, putting it on your head, cowering from the rain beneath it, putting things inside it, or skidding haplessly on it down a snow-covered hill.

Your observation about the plural of belongings is incorrect, and belongings do not imply you are carrying whatever that term describes with you.

22. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

No; luggage can refer to one or more items. A single suitcase is certainly "luggage".

Again, you would do much better to phrase your questions as _questions_, or at the very least as opinions, and not as corrections. And to consider the possibility that native speakers might know at least a little bit about how their language is customarily used.

ChickenFreak

23. leafmould

leafmould New Member

See......not just repetition, but repetition over and over...........

Perhaps posters could check that a simple point has been dealt with satisfactorily and refrain from chipping in with further input that adds nothing new.

I'm not for censorship, but my head is being (present passive continously) done it at the moment. It's a chore to come here and have to plough through acres of dull repetition.

I know - hook, there, for the slinging of..................

24. Slinkywizard

Slinkywizard New Member

More than one individual can and should reply to a single point. That's how these things work. If you deny people the privilege of throwing their own hat into the ring, you miss the point of a discussion/debate. I don't see repetition here, just new people coming to the thread and joining in.

That thar's a very high horse you got yourself sat on leafmould ;)

25. leafmould

leafmould New Member

Whatever.

How much time and energy do you really want to waste discussing whether "belongings" cannot include a "briefcase" because it ends with the letter "s"? Check back from the start of the thread, perhaps. It's full of this rubbish!

I'm not on a high horse, I'm just bored with the meaningless, unhelpful and tedious drivel with which this forum is contaminated. Maybe I'll take a break for a while. I've not been here long, but I've had enough of pussyfooting around the problem.

What have I written that warrants my being accused of sitting on a high horse? That's an insult, with our without the winky smiley. I've never insulted anyone here. Not even Cacian, until now, who daily posts indulgent nonsense which makes the forum anything but a useful resource for serious writers. It's bogged down with his drivel. He's never off the top of the 'most posts' list. These are not insults - they are facts. Ridiculous nonsense most of it is. Why should one person be able to mess up an entire forum? This is supposed to be a serious writers' forum, not Cacian's little wonderland.

If you think his input inspires serious discussion and debate, good luck to you! I have better things to do with my time.