Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

The Everchanging Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by PBNJDraftNumbA, Apr 4, 2016.

Deleted for editing.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Bryman

Bryman Member

You have quite a way with words. The way you wrote this entry, at least, was pretty solid for a "rant-ish"? sort of thing.

If it's experience you lack, then I might recommend reading and trying to write different genres and different methods of writing to prepare for you chosen goal of "Tale of the Week". For me, personally, doing so has given me a lot of valuable tools and taught me more than I imagined it could have.

Hoping you succeed in your goals :superyesh:

3. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

Deleted for editing.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  4. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

P(BN)J: 2: 4.5.16

Part 1:
    Offline Journal in the Morning

Okay. I have got to work on writing. But I also need to work on work, relationships, community projects, my living spaces, and my car (see living spaces). Then, of course, there is me. I require the most work. I am the personification of my writing: Distractable.

This little challenge, which calls for discipline that I don't have, is a tack to a mule.
    It is a goad to a swinging monkey. It is a reminder to stop horse playing, stop proverably laying around, and get moving in a positive direction. Thankfully, I think this is taking place, even as I write this self-questioning piece.

So, what can I do, really? What can I accomplish, if not positive consistency? I can create.
    I can learn. I can inspire. And so these are my goals beyond writing with a method: To publish for people.

You see, I have experience with a myriad of personalities-- and that's just me ;)
    Actually, I have great appreciation for diversity and collective achievement.
    I think, then, that my writing should do this. It needs to reflect diversity and interactive growth.

Speaking to growth, there is a quote that says, "But it is down in the valley, where you find the soil." (comma or no comma?) This is a wise reply to the neccessity of not living on a "mountain-top experience." While it does have value to live in high places, rich lessons are found in the toil of the soil. I guess, what I mean to say is, "I do not want to write all-positive, grandiose, packets of personal experience." Rather, I want to share others' stories, hard lessons, and the journey to and from each mountain-top.

How do I do this? I seek to write an allegory, if that is a genre of writing. I really don't know.
    I think want to echo Aesop's Fables, while pulling from Lucado's You are special style of writing.
    I want to write genuine, non-grotesque, simple adventures. I want to relay deep messages in short reflective pieces (like in poetry). I don't want to spoon feed; neither do I want to confuse.

The reality is, I will likely fall off my wagon of intention. I will likely hide it behind another excuse called "a new idea." I will probably hit delete on my posts, and this will all be for leisure, like blowing a bubble from a piece of bubble gum. Eventually, all bubbles burst. This, I'm afraid, is my writing discipline.

Still, I could be wrong, like the time I skipped school to be found out by my parent's boss. I thought I knew the end, but I had another thing coming. Perhaps, contrary to doubt, I will write something that sticks better than
    a Willy Wonka sweet, or that note that clashes with the anthems.

Who knows?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Oscar Leigh and Bryman like this.
  5. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

Deleted for editing.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

Deleted for editing.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

Deleted for editing.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

Okay, I feel good about the Tale of the Week.

"Flag of Ashes" takes place in Mid-Central USA,
    during a traditional town's favorite tradition that nobody enjoys... as a kid.
    For nostalgia or passing along pain endured, parents keep the false-joy rolling.
    Well, it is no different for main character, (to be named later), who is caught between
    his love for history and the embarassing reality that he has to walk in front of his greatest opponent: A.J. "Slam" Thorton, the toughest kid known to (to be named later). He's ready to ditch the passion, for a very good reason. But "Mom" stands between his escape from promising humiliation.

"Flag of Ashes" touches on the difference of appreciating one's past vs. prolonging it.
    It also seeks to look at strength, even in times of weakness.
    "How does Muscle measure against Mind?" "Can the two work together?"
    These are questions that will be instilled through a child's story-- for adults.

"Flag of Ashes,"
    Are you sure?
    Read the upcoming tale before you answer.

~#A

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

As I thought. I skipped a few days. Will get on it again Tuesday, latest.

10. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

Okay, I will keep coming back. But this is it for now. I am really wrapped up in work and volunteer efforts. By the time I work on the story, my body and brain don't work together. Thus, my brain may want to say something, but my arms are like weak anvils.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributing Member

Wow, you're such an interesting person with such interesting thoughts. You, my friend, are a born writer. :superagree::superagree:

12. HelloImRex

HelloImRex Contributing Member

Is 1, 4, 4, 16 the start of some kind of sequence like fibonacci? I honestly can't think of an equation for the pattern.

http://www.mathportal.org/calculators/sequences-calculators/nth-term-calculator.php
    "Result

You entered the following sequence.

The next term cannot be found.

Explanation

The sequence is neither arithmetic or geometric."

I don't know, maybe its 1, 4, 4, 16, 16, 64, 64. What would the equation for that be? They are squares so you can't do absolute value of cubes to get it. 1, 4, 4, 16, 64, 64, 256, 1024, 1024. I guess that could be it. I'm not smart enough to know if these have an equation with n in them though. Yeah, I don't think there is anything, I give up. Wait, why is there a colon after the 1? What day was this written? Oh, f-

Well, I should probably read the post now.

I like how you string metaphors together where they end up having meaning in multiple ways. That takes a lot of skill to do correctly. Anyway, sorry about the math tangent, I'm distractable too.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  13. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributing Member

I agree about metaphors. Oh, and, (waves ADHD flag) me too.

14. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

This is very encouraging. Thank you. Everyone's thoughts are interesting.
    I am more outspoken... even when I don't write... right. :)

15. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

16. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

Deleted for editing.

17. PBNJDraftNumbA

PBNJDraftNumbA Member

Okay, so it is April 15th and I did get in some writing today, inspired by the short story challenge.
    It is not finished, but it was fun to write. I can see the activity within my story. It is rushed, but it is also an adventure packed into a page of content. I hope to work on it later on, if not this coming week, then someday. :)

If I need to call it something... then the title is... hmm... "A simple task."
    It is about someone who arrives at work, ready to clock in for the day. Or so he thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.