The Fall of Terrafel Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Forgotten_Memories, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Forgotten_Memories

Forgotten_Memories Active Member

Oh, we need more girls? I didn't even notice. I guess I could play one. But I want my hunky smuggler... hmmm... decisions, decisions.

2. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

I don't think we need more at all. 3:1 sounds pretty good to me. I'm excited!

3. Forgotten_Memories

Oh, I'm actually liking the idea of the female version of the character I was making. I will PM her to you in a bit Honor! :p

4. Socrates

Socrates Active Member

lol, whatever you are comfortable with Forgotten. No one will judge you here :)

5. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

Yay! Pms!

Oh! And i just remembered, Socrates, None of us know what progressive control is! :p

Yeah.... The majority of the stuff in those guidlines still apply, but that was written before any of the current players were around. Tis old stuff.

And Forgotten may disagree, but I've always felt that all three systems were often intertwined. Trying to abide by just one limits possibilities. Better to adapt and plan on the go.

6. Brandogg12

Brandogg12 Member

Hah my character was originally going to be a guy but I looked at the other profiles and said holy smokes- that's alot of testosterone- so I settled with a tomboyish character. They are always appealing to me for some reason...

7. Forgotten_Memories

Mine is fairly tomboy-ish... you will see!

8. Socrates

Socrates Active Member

Honorius: I agree 100% :) I have never been in a RPG that used only one of those systems. I have never done a RPG on this forum so I wasn't sure if it was different here. I am looking forward to writing this story with you guys!

9. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

A tomboy with a big chest! Bella might be jealous. She's got legs though!

And I knew I'd do a girl from the start. I've always used too many male characters

Edit: Ah! I've got to remember to refresh the page before posting! Keep that in mind everyone! People post quickly! So refresh before posting!

And Socrates, I can guarantee you that Forgotten will make this awesome! She's a great writer! And I'm going to help! Self proclaimed best GM of the past three or four years!

10. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

I had to go with the gentle giant. I seem to have the only Half-Giant. (Which is fine by me.)

11. Forgotten_Memories

I like the fact that there is only 1 half giant. Also, I think I will close character applications now. Save the last spot for Hawken, because he is being slow at reading PMs and wanted to be a part of it!

I will try to get a first post out tomorrow, but if I don't, it'll be on wednesday, as I have exams this week on tuesday + wednesday.

Will put my character up in a few mins! When Honor tells me what he thinks! ;P

12. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Good plan!

P.S. I noticed I didn't really describe my character much, do you want me to lengthen my sheet? Or would you rather I let the story show his character?

13. Forgotten_Memories

It's fine what you have! Let the rest expand through the story. :)

14. Socrates

Socrates Active Member

She's a great writer... lol I should have paid more attention. :) I thought Forgotten was a guy because of her avatar *face palm* Oh well, now I know my joke didn't make sense lol.

Honorius: And I am honored to rp under the self proclaimed best assistant GM of the past three or four years!

Sounds good Forgotten, looking forward to starting.

15. Forgotten_Memories

Haha! My avatar is Riku - he is insanely hot (for a cartoon-y video game character). And Honor is really an awesome GM. I feel bad that I had to quit Flame of the Crimson Rose! :(

16. Forgotten_Memories

Ack, double post! Okay, my character is up. It took only two days to assemble all the characters - nice guys! However, I will be tied up in revision for the next few days. Will try to get a first post out tomorrow, but if I can't, it'll be on Wednesday. The other option is for me to tell Honor what I'd like in the first post and he does it and you guys can start developing your characters.

PM me about this Honor, I am going to sleep. It's 3am here. Good night! :)

17. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

Yay! we're starting soon! :D

I have a bad habit about genders as well... most of the girls around here are pretty nice about it though, so don't worry.

And don't praise me too much! It'll all go to my head and I'll start laughing maniacally and claiming to be king of all dimensions and realities! Which would be a lot of fun! But also potentially dangerous to the integrity of all of your minds...

On a side note, Forgotten is British! And she stays up all night for us yankees! (I'm not from Thebes, i'm from the US, tis an inside joke for me myself and I)

18. Socrates

Socrates Active Member

lol if you think your ego will get big, go ahead and read my 'about me' on my profile page :)

I am from the US myself and tend to stay up all night to. I write too much lol.

19. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

Hahaha

And you're a fellow member from Georgia! Sadly not nearby though...

And this is totally off topic in every way shape and form, (I try to stay sorta on topic most of the time) but being a supporter is awesome! We get our own Forum!

Anyway, feels nice to supporter.

But more on topic, my character, Bella. Her personality may end up to be radically different from whats in her character sheet. So... Don't rely on that to much. My characters tend to write themselves, so she's liable to change in a way or two. Kinder than I expected, or more paranoid, or meaner, more likely to slit someones throat, more likely to get attached to the nearest man. I don't know exactly what'll happen.

20. Socrates

Socrates Active Member

Nice! I am planning on changing my characters personality overtime. As he becomes more comfortable with the other characters he will open up more and become more sociable. I don't know if he will be caught up in a romance, but it is possible.

21. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

It may not be your character, but trust me, there will be romance. There always is. Always. it just sorta happens, there's a linguistic connection formed between characters, and the writers can just feel it, they know. For a time, the hearts of the writer and character unite, and both can hear the uniform thought: "That character is hot"

22. Brandogg12

Brandogg12 Member

I had a question. I am somewhat new to this whole aspect of roleplaying( I have tried several times however) but I have been writing for quite some time and can develop characters and a story. My question is from what perspective is this going being written in? Third person, something like that of a novel or novella with us explaining the actions of our character specifically? And what of the dialogue? Just a brief explanation would do me justice I would think.

23. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

I can do that! First off, generally, perspective is in third person. I guess you could do it in first person though, unless Forgotten has an issue with that for some reason. Just make sure that you aren't too bland with the third person. Rather than merely stating what happens, write about what happens. Give some detail, exposition, and character development. Of course, I think most of us can and do do that already. But yes, you will be describing the actions and thoughts of your character specifically, sorta novella style.

Dialogue is probably the trickiest thing. (this isnt brief at all! just realized, sorry about that) Generally, one character will have something to say paired with thoughts, body language, and actions. Next, another character will reply, also adding the extras. The tricky thing is, writers often want to have a character say something in between another character's sentences. Generally however the solution is approached works out though, whether the character magically slips in a sentence, or just has one big reply.

My suggestion would be to go read a few random pages of The Flame Crimson Rose. (Found here: https://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=27875)

I like to brag about it a lot, but it really is a good example of what an awesome RP looks like. It had 700+ posts and over 15,000 views. A lot of time and effort put into that, and there's good writing in there. I wouldn't advise reading the whole thing (it's really long) but there's good examples of strong posts and dialogue in there.

Here's a decent example: https://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=27875&page=11

Not a lot was happening in the scene, so posts were shorter, but all still had motion, development, and purpose. It's a good example of basic dialogue and how characters generally interact and how writers fleshout/narrate their characters.

That wasn't very brief, but I hope that helps!

24. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

I'm just going to also throw in that my character will probably change over time too, thats one of my favorite parts about RPGs actually. I love seeing the characters grow and develop over the course of the story, whether its good development or bad :)

I'm not going to lie, I love the romance aspect of RPGs :) I had so much fun with that in crimson rose with Addy and Caleb :redface:

25. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    Glad you're both interested. Let's hope I don't disappoint.