The Fear Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Marcelo, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I've had intruders/trespassers. I sleep with a sword next to the bed.

2. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

No one has broke in into my house... But it conforts me to know that I have an iron bat next to my bed. :D

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

An iron bat? Must not fly very well.

4. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I have claymore swords, but I don't have them in my room. I keep them within easy reach of burglars. I don't lock my doors, anyway, there's no point ;)

5. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Oh, and for all those bug-haters... "Worldwide, it is estimated that there are 30 million different species of insects, making up to almost 90% of all living things on the planet". Wow, I'm bad. :cool:

6. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Haha, good one. :D
    Let me correct it, though. I have an iron baseball bat.

7. Cogito

I have a major problem with heights. That is why I get on Ferris wheels and climb steep mountain trails whenever I can.

I hate limitations.

8. Benska

Benska New Member

The (well, my...) mind and the way it perceives the world. Definitely. Nothing scares me more than the (minute) possibility of going nuts. As in severe schizophrenic, or something similar, nuts, in a way that would lead to murderous and/or suicidal activity. I would elaborate, but I don't really like to think about it too much.

Also, doing (again, murderous/suicidal[at the worst. Embarrassing things and the like wouldn't be that great either])things in my sleep/while sleepwalking. I once heard a story on the news about a man who sleepwalked to his mother's place, and was trying to fix the air conditioner (I think). In his mother's attempts to get his attention, she grabbed him on the shoulder... or something... then something else happened... I don't remember it too well, it was a few years ago, but it got violent and he ended up killing her. I don't totally trust the media, but true or not, it still put me off sleep for a while. Still does sometimes, even though I have only sleepwalked once or twice, and that was when I was a lot younger.

PS: Is sleepwalked the right word to use in the context I've been using it in? It really doesn't sound right, but my sleep-deprived mind can't figure out a way to modify the sentence in a grammatically correct way, or think of the right word to make any sense... I can't even make sense of what I'm trying to ask. Hopefully you get the gist.

9. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I used to not be able to eat in front of other people. As a result, all of my coworkers thought I was anorexic. But when Joel and I first started dating, he would cook me dinner, so I figured it was either force myself to eat in front of someone or be incredibly rude...

:eek: God, that would freak me out. I had a dream the other day after Joel went to work (he works early in the morning) that someone rang the doorbell, so I went to open it. The screen was shut most of the way, and I couldn't see anyone, so I just figured the person had left. When I started to close the door, though, the person on the other side started forcing it back open, so I started screaming and screaming...and after that I couldn't go back to bed. I would probably never have slept again if I woke up to someone standing by my bedroom door.

10. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Dentistry. I had emergency dental surgery because of an accident when I was a kid, and I've been horrified of it ever since- even just hearing a dentist's drill will make me freeze.

Also, not really a fear but I always, especially when I'm staying somewhere away from home, consider the worst thing that can happen in any situation- the different ways a place can be unsafe. Therefore I'm rarely surprised, but I have trouble sleeping for the first few nights when I'm on vacation.

Oddly enough, I'm afraid of compliments. Or at least I feel uncomfortable when someone offers me a compliment. Whether it's something really awkward or situations where I just know they want something from me, I never really know how to react to a compliment.

11. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor New Member

I'm afraid of failing, mostly; I just have this compulsive desire to do better. It's like my brain constantly goads me on and tells me I'm not good enough or something. I think this will probably get me into trouble someday, but I just can't stop trying to outdo myself as a result, it's like I'm afraid if I don't, it won't be good enough. I have a very high standard for myself.

12. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

A dress up party when I was younger. I went to bed and a male friend, who was dressed as a hideous, evil clown came in and was hiding. Just as I was drifting off to sleep, he scared the heck out of me and I flew out the bed, getting tangled in the blankets, smashed my head on the bedside drawer and thought I was going to die from the fear alone. Now I have coulrophobia...

13. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

I live in fear that somehow, somewhere a recording of Tool will survive a nuclear blast.

14. Torana

LMAO! You know for a fact that one will, Sharky. And that one shall be known as:

<insert drum roll here>

Schism! :D

15. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

You know I actually thought I slipped that one past you.

Oh yeah - I can't stand heights.

16. Torana

HAH! Like that could ever happen...

Oh yeah... I have a fear of my children and scissors... especially after my son hacked my daughters hair, which still doesn't seem to be growing back. <cries>

17. Cogito

Rumpole, NO Tool reference will ever escape her notice, O foolish lad!

18. Torana

Very, very true that.

19. Rosetta Stoned

Rosetta Stoned New Member

I've lasted since October. Do I get a prize? :U

20. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Moths. Only the big ones though.

Falling.

My daughter going missing.

Aliens and ghosts.

I am sure there are plenty more.

oh Gosh... bees.

21. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

Getting lost. That gives me panic attacks and makes me not want to drive anywhere

22. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

I fear my own death, molestation, overly large doses of pain and damage to my body or mind in general as well as complete and utter solitude.

23. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

One of Joel's biggest fears is dismemberment. I always thought that seemed like a kind of random thing to fear. Unless he knew someone who had been dismembered. Or almost got dismembered himself.

24. Ragnar

Ragnar Member

Jeez. Even that word is scary enough for me. *shudders*

25. Torana

hehe! I noticed when you joined the forum but didn't want to scare you off so I remained silent. :D

And my daughter scared me this morning... she stood silently in the dark and did her evil clown grin. I hate that grin...