The future of printed books...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Marcelo, Jun 5, 2008.

Tags:
  1. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I don't think we'd be able to rid ourselves of physical books for a long time. If you care to think outside of the Western world, you'd see that many people don't have the necessary resources to have an electronic book. Hell, it's the same inside of the United States, the United Kingdom, or Australia. While buying a single device that could download a myriads of books, it's quite an investment -- especially when you'd have to make sure everyone in a school has it. On top of that, if a government were to provide them, I feel many people would sell them in order to acquire more basic necessities. However, technological gaps do occur rather frequently, so I do believe it is possible a university might attempt to utilize these e-books in the near future as an experiment. I think a college did something similar with iPods.

Oh, and Torana, that thing you said about dropping dictionaries on people reminded me of a threat someone was saying. I can't remember everything in detail, but I do know that was said.

2. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I believe there are two good reasons why books will remain important for many years to come:

1. Long term storage of information.

2. Human physiology.

Long term: Today, we enjoy 5 gig harddrives, portable flash drives and similar technology, yet I still have stacks of the original 5 1/4" floppy disks from the 80's that I have no way to read on today's computers. I also have the entire collection of every fantasy book written by Andre Norton and they sit permanently in my home office bookcase, ready to entertain my grandchildren. They already survived my four children. Current technology is changing so fast that I do not have the same confidence in its longevity...as I have in books.

Human physiology: How many businesses are struggling with eye fatigue related to computer usage? Same with posture related back/neck problems. This was not a problem when I was young. While reading books, people frequently change position providing the eye with continuous adjustments in focus. They also tend to change physical posture as they are not constrained by the typical demands of a desktop or even a laptop. Yes, the new electronic "books" are more portable but they still have the problems of backlighting and glare. In my opinion, books are simply healthier for the human eye than the modern alternatives. My daughter is already collecting lots of old children's storybooks to read to her baby.

No, I don't have any studies to quote...this is just my own deductive reasoning and belief. BTW - my wife is a senior trainer in a major insurance company and they are struggling with eye strain and posture related medical problems all associated with computer caused eye fatigue.

3. Zandiir

Zandiir New Member

I don't think the physical book will ever die. Yes, it seems like the whole "e-book" concept is really growing, and that quite a few people seem to enjoy going that route. But there's something about an actual book that I like...that no digital form could replace. So I will stick with books thank you. :)

-Zandiir

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

This post made me shudder! I enjoy reading fiction on my computer. But only fiction that I can't purchase from the shelves at the book stores. Like eBooks sold through WCP.

Otherwise, it just had to be a book made of paper. It adds that certain mood to the piece if you ask me.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I emphatically agree! I like books. My apartment contains 7 full height bookcases with full, sagging shelves. I also have quite a few boxes of books in my basement and stacks of books in several corners as well.

I was impressed with the eBook reader, and can understand the appeal. But I am in no rush to go out and get one for myself.

I prefer the real thing, and to me that is the bound paperback or hardcover volume.

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I'm jealous of your library...I lost my library when I moved. I am yet to build it back up again.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I almost lost FRIENDS last time I moved. They were griping mightily at lugging carton after carton after carton of books.

8. Aurora_Black

Aurora_Black New Member

lol "Spock, please teleport us to the nearest planet. We won't need books btw"

I doubt books will ever stop, because imaginations don't.

9. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Fun Question.

I don't have an opinion on this as of yet, but it is a fun question.

Ungood

10. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I doupt they will, I hope to god in heavon they don't, they are a major part of my life!
    I love them, I wouldn't enjoy reading the next Pynchon novel, or Ian Irvine novel on a computer... I don't want that.

For one, it's unhealthy, looking at a Computer that long.
    Another thing, books have a kind of Romance about them, that is hard to bet, and lastly, there is nothing like turning the first pages of a new novel, and starting, slowly at first, then letting the middle just melt away, and then the ending coming before you know it and it leaves you begging for more.