The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

So I bought some high dollar AAA titles recently, and was bored of them within an hour of play time. But free browser games like agar.io or diep.io can pull me in for hours... wtf.

2. 20oz

20oz Active Member

Breath of the Wild is going to be dope. I just hope it's not going to be a total disappointment.

Rise of the Tomb Raider and then...? What's catching your eye?

Me and you have the same problem. I got all these games and all I can do is look at them. The only games I seem to pick up and play are multiplayer games. Overwatch, Black Ops 3, Rocket League, etc. But I'm getting better at picking up single player games and finishing them. Like during the weekend, I finished Gurumin 3D: A Monstrous Adventure. Sure, I got the "bad ending", but it's progress. :p

I want to be. I really do. But they're expensive and appear to be time-consuming, Anything that looks like an RPG, I wonder if I'm willing to spend 100+ hours or so.

Fire Emblem Warriors sounds interesting. Maybe I'll get a taste of what I'm missing. I'm definitely going to look into it, if I pick up the SWITCH.

For me, GOTY of 2016 goes out to Uncharted 4. I would have given it to Rise of the Tomb Raider, but I found it overwhelming, and it retreaded the ending of the first one, gameplay-wise. Uncharted series does the same thing over and over again with its endings, but Naughty Dog disguises it better by not using the same backdrop as its processors and changing up the QTE battle. In U4, I fought with a sword this time!

3. Osprey

Osprey Member

I thought it was pretty great, and the end - I mean the very end - was awesome. Naughty Dog does that sort of thing better than anyone. And no spoilers here, but even though Nate's adventures are supposedly finished, that ending felt like it might've left a door open for a possible spin-off series. The multiplayer is surprisingly fun as well. But at the end of they day I just prefer the somewhat more open structure of Tomb Raider with its Far Cry-esque progression system.

Also in any GOTY 2016 discussion I think Doom at least deserves a mention, that was a nearly perfect way to update that franchise.

I do think Breath of the Wild looks great but it's been years since I've owned any Nintendo hardware and my official position on the Switch is wait and see. Hope it lives up to its potential.

4. 20oz

20oz Active Member

I was very happy with the ending of U4. Simply and elegant. And I'm the opposite of you, I prefer my games linear. Regardless of how I feel about Rise, I'm looking forward to Shadow of the Tomb Raider (if that's what it's going to be called).

Heck yeah, throw DOOM onto the pile. It's frickin' goooood.

Breath of the Wild. I'm intentionally not looking at footage and stuff. I'm not doing it to avoid spoilers, I'm doing it to keep my expectations intact. Whether or not it looks good, I haven't stuck around long enough to gush over it. As for the Switch, I'm in the "buy and regret" camp. :p

5. Osprey

Osprey Member

On an impulse I downloaded Salt and Sanctuary, aka Dark Souls in 2d. I'm not a huge souls guy, but I loved Bloodborne, so thought I'd give this a shot. Played it for about 3 hours last night and pretty excited to go back to it.

Also went ahead and put down a pre-order for Horizon. I guess the review embargo lifted yesterday and the scores look really good. We'll see.

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Oh my God, the new Dark Souls 3 dlc The Ringed City is soooo awesome *fangirl squeals*. And it's kicking my ass. :superyesh:

Oscar Leigh and zoupskim like this.
  7. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Who's excited for Shadow of War?! I loved the first one!

8. Joe King

Joe King Member

I've been stuck playing overwatch for so many months now it just never seems to get old. I've finally ordered for honor and the new final fantasy mainly just to drag me away from overwatch. They've probably been talked about to death but does anybody else have/enjoy these games?

9. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

I tried the beta of For Honour and got bored of it rather quickly. Final Fantasy is supposed to be good though.

Joe King likes this.
  10. Joe King

Joe King Member

I think for honor does sound like it could get a little repetitive after a while but I'm sure the multiplayer could hold your attention long enough for it to be worth it especially if you have friends to play with. Yeah I've heard nothing but good things about the new FF, can't wait!

11. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

I did purely multiplayer and was bored within a day. The only bad thing I've heard about the new FF is one of the later chapters is a bit iffy, but otherwise, it's great.

12. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

I've put off buying the new Mass Effect because those facial animations and that script are so horrible.

I'm hoping they'll fix it because I used to love those games (I even didn't mind the end of the third).

13. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Banned

Amongst my favorite games are Skyrim, LA Noire, The Cat Lady, Paper Mario, The Sims, and many more. Lately I've been playing Watch Dogs 2. I ditched Watch Dogs 1, because the game is too hard, plus it sucks compared to WD 2 :D I need to play my other games like Far Cry 3 & 4, Bayonetta, The Evil Within, The Saboteur, Mafia 3, etc. Got so many games to play, but so little time.

14. Commander Caty

Commander Caty Banned

^^ the Far Cry games are so fun. One of the only shooter games I'm actually good at. Haha.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  15. KaTrian

I know, right? I mean, I have Witcher 3 still waiting to be played. When am I gonna have time to play it? I don't know, but I do know I must own it and I want to play it.

I got like 70 % of the Rise of the Tomb Raider done, until the Ringed City DLC for Dark Souls 3 came out. I'm still not finished with the dlc so I don't know when I'll have time to get back to TR. Probably never because I'm also itching to play Bloodborne GTY, which I couldn't play before because #PCMasterRace-- but then I yielded and bought PS4...

Most of my free time is spent writing now, so I'll probably be playing these games when they've already gone retro.

16. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Bought Fallout 4 today and I am loving it! Ever since seeing clips of the DayZ game on youtube I've wanted an open-world, first-person survival game for the console, and this is about as close to that type of game you're going to get right now, at least on the console.

17. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

Anyone bought the latest Mass Effect by the way? Been putting it off because I cannot deal with that bad dialogue and animation.

18. Osprey

Osprey Member

I think I'm maybe halfway/two thirds of the way through Horizon. Going slow and doing lots of side stuff. I like it a lot. One thing that's really interesting is the way the game world they've chosen basically allows them to tell a story that is at once hard sci-fi and high fantasy without really violating the conventions of either genre. It's the far future but humanity has returned to a pre-industrial state, either nomadic/tribal or feudal depending on which culture you visit. There is evidence of technology all around, and you as the player recognize it as technology, but to the characters it's basically magic, the mysterious and dangerous knowledge of the ancients. Its function within the story is identical the role of magic in a traditional fantasy story. Early in the game (mild spoilers) Aloy explores a ruin and finds a device that is pretty much a high-end google glass or something like that but to her it's like a magical amulet, one that allows her to cast spells over the magical beasts (i.e. override the machines). It's just a neat idea.

It helps that the game itself is extremely competent. Boiled down it's a third-person Far Cry game with better graphics and more exciting combat. But the game world makes it memorable.

Oh, and I finished Salt & Sanctuary about two weeks after I bought it. I became completely obsessed with that game. As I said I'm not huge souls player, so to me it was just a really great metroidvania. Still, it makes no pretense about the fact that it's borrowing a LOT from the Souls series, so I'm not sure what a hardcore souls player would think of it.

19. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Yo... Any Xcom fans?

20. KaTrian

I'm surprised how far I've gotten in Bloodborne -- and I haven't rage-quit once. :cheerleader: Considering I tend to be under-leveled and I try to kill every enemy at least once, it's actually going surprisingly well. The game is almost over, though. I don't want it to be over. :cry:

I probably won't buy it because the writing seems pretty awful and with a game like that, I need the story, dialogue and characters to be compelling 'cause the game play is a bit meh. Plus, the characters look derpy, even after the patch. :bigfrown:

21. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Yeah so... Mass Effect Andromeda.

Where to start? I completed the game before the patch was released. I'm more into ME for the narrative than anything else so the awful animations weren't my focus but, even so, they were piss poor to my mind. Of the previous trilogy, my favourite games were 1 and 2. 1 for the more distinctive RPG elements and 2 for its sandboxyness and replayability. ME has always had something of an identity crisis.

While ME:A has some highlights, I thought the game suffered overall because of its open world setting. If you are like me, wired for completion, the amount of worthless fetch quests is daunting but I was scared to miss out on any prior to finishing the main storyline, just in case any of them turned out to be more important radiant quests that might impact the choices available to me. Because of this, the pacing of the main story line greatly suffered, as there really wasn't enough substance to sink my teeth into. There is a folder named 'Additional Tasks." Unless you are hungry for completion, or XP, I'd give most of them a wide birth on initial playthough. I did that for my second run at the game and the overall narrative felt a bit more cohesive.

Combat was pretty cool, although I thought the level and enemy combatant design was a bit, meh. There are loads of options for tweaking your individual player style. Traditionally, I play as a sniper rifle toting Infiltrator, but this time around I went for something more befitting my bi polarness... Tactical Cloak and Black Widow combined with Biotic Charge and Asari sword. Playing ranged and up close and personal at the same time is heaps of fun. I wasn't sure about the soft cover system when I first read about it, but I thought it was a great addition. I can't think of one time in 100+ hrs that it let me down.

The patch did much to improve visuals and speed up transit time between planets. I had been playing on PS4 and did, from time to time, encounter frame rate droppages, and sudden cut outs in conversations. The patch fixed some issues but not all.

Unless you are a die hard fan, I'd hold off a while until the price comes down. I paid full whack on release (although I deserve a pat on the head for refusing to pre order) and whilst I can't say I didn't get my moneys worth in terms of hours played, sometimes less is more. I couldn't shift the feeling I was playing a Beta with a load more work needing done to it.

Oscar Leigh and Pinkymcfiddle like this.
  22. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

You've kinda put me off it (even more). I play this game for the story and the alien sex simulator, which seems to be a major part of the game these days, inexplicably (I play plenty of other - some - a few - other games for FPS/TPS combat, so don't need it here, and they seldom offer alien sex) so I will just have to go shopping elsewhere for my alien sex.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  23. obsidian_cicatrix

Don't get me wrong....there's fun to be had, it's just not worth the current price. As for the sex, my poor Sara had to do without, and Scott didn't fare a whole lot better. In fact, Scott ended up going for a human option and still didn't get laid.

Oscar Leigh and Pinkymcfiddle like this.
  24. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

I wonder if you ever watched the Back to Reality Red Dwarf episode, in which they played the game wrong? ;)

25. obsidian_cicatrix

I'm sure I have... would have been an age ago though. Can't bring the specifics to mind.