The George Zimmerman Trial

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JJ_Maxx, Jun 30, 2013.

1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Not to pop your bubble JJ but I don't think stopping at an accident, something thousands of ordinary people do every day (including me many times), makes up for killing an unarmed teen. The rest of what you wrote is just regurgitating what has already been said. There's nothing new.

I think TM could have easily felt threatened by a man following him in the dark. I think it's far more likely GZ grabbed TM than TM attacked GZ for no reason. We know GZ was a liar. His attorney even admitted it though he called it "exaggerating". And GZ not taking the stand may have been legal, but that doesn't mean it didn't suggest he knew he told too many lies to support if cross examined. The law doesn't say innocent and guilty people don't testify at the same rate. The law says people have a right not to incriminate themselves and the prosecution has to prove the case without that self incrimination. It's supposed to stop cops from torturing confessions out of people.

We don't have TM to give his side but that hasn't stopped you from convicting TM without evidence.

I do see the incessant attacks on TM as racist. You don't. No sense belaboring that, it won't change.

I don't have as much of a problem with someone arguing the legal case wasn't made, as I do with your argument. You've added a whole non-evidence based scenario where TM on his way home from the store with a bag of skittles and having smoked a joint at some time was a proven violent teen itching to fight. There's no evidence of that. All there is, is bigotry that all black teens are presumed violent, evidence matters not.

Right winger Joe Scarborough commented on the race to convict TM. Skip ahead to minute 6 to hear what Joe Scarborough had to say about the outright racism in the responses to Obama's speech and the GZ/TM case. Scarborough said, "It's right out of Refer Madness" to claim marijuana makes one a thug.

This is a summary but his entire op-ed is worth listening to:

As for Martin having no marks on him, what except for that gaping hole in his chest? :rolleyes:

Most likely scenario that I see from the evidence, TM asks GZ in a face to face, why are you following me? That leads to GZ getting verbally and or physically aggressive, TM hits him, knocking him down. I don't see any evidence that GZ, who we know lied, was ambushed.

You're saying that who cares GZ shot an unarmed teen, the law let him, as if that made it OK. Along with the rabid attacks on TM, blaming him for everything and claiming that isn't based on racist beliefs, the idea GZ had a right, was justified, all that because of a legal technicality ignores morality.

Half the right wing isn't saying, what a shame, they are saying TM deserved it, despite there being no evidence of anything more than he punched GZ. Any kid who hits someone deserves to be shot? No, just any black kid.

2. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Really? You pull families out of burning vehicles every day? Wow, you must lead an exciting life.

Well, yeah. All the evidence is out there. The trial is over. The only thing that is new is what the media and the black community decide to fabricate tomorrow.

According to Trayvon's lady friend, he was being followed by a creepy ass cracka that was probably a homosexual rapist. That's not a reason? George Zimmerman knows police protocol and wanted to be a police officer. It is far more likely that TM would have acted out his gangsta persona than GZ go against his history and put his hands on someone.

He wrote a 5-page detailed written report, gave a video-taped interview at the police station, video-taped a detailed account at the crime scene and gave interviews on news outlets. What more did he have to say?

Let me quote myself to debunk your lies:

My opinion, not fact. What is fact is that GZ was assaulted prior to a single gunshot that ended the assault. You completely ignore this and surround the case with irrelevant dribble.

I too, am not going to argue with you anymore. There was no racial motivation to this incident. As Sanford police investigated the circumstances of Martin’s death, the FBI opened a parallel probe to determine if Martin’s civil rights had been violated. In all, the FBI interviewed 35 people about Zimmerman, from current and former co-workers to neighbors and an ex-girlfriend and found, unequivocally, that there was no evidence that racial bias was a motivating factor in the shooting of Trayvon Martin. So believe what you want, but understand that your beliefs are not held according to evidence, but your own bias.

See above. There was no racism or racist bias in the incident.

You use the word 'kid' and 'skittles' and 'ice-tea' and 'unarmed' as buzz words to connote innocence in relation to age. This is a psychological maneuver to bolster your claims without using facts or evidence. He wasn't 'unarmed' by the look of GZ's bloodied face after Martin repeatedly punched him, breaking his nose and pounding his head into the sidewalk.

3. GingerCoffee

Now the overturned vehicle with 4 uninjured people was burning? I haven't seen that in a single report.

Prove that fantasy.

I'll get to the rest later.

4. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

All I get from this case is that do-gooders assume that all black kids are innocent and never do anything wrong because saying otherwise is racist. 'Oh, you're saying he hit him because all black kids are violent.' No, they are saying he hit him because HE HIT HIM. Most people that are quick to call 'racist' are the most bigoted of all, because to them race is automatically an issue. It's infuriating.

5. GingerCoffee

I don't have a problem with some black kids being a mess. I have a problem with assuming one is based on what we know about TM.

6. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Nobody did. Zimmerman didn't.

7. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Looks like some of the witch-hunt is dying down...

ACLU withdraws demand for federal charges

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

They're actually back-tracking a bit, which is good because their original statement, which looked a lot more like a call for federal civil rights charges, was contrary to what the ACLU should be doing. Like many individuals on the left, the ACLU also got caught up in the specifics of the Zimmerman case, and completely lost sight of why we have the legal standards and protections we do, and the potential harm down the road that comes from casting these things aside to 'get' George Zimmerman.

9. GingerCoffee

My apologies to everyone but I just have to post the latest update on the Zimmerman rescues family saga. It's too hilarious to pass up. I'm not saying any of this is true mind you, I'm especially leery of any claims the whole police department was in on it, but one cop friend? ... :p

A la Breitbart playbook, the source is this blog site: NewsBall Inc.

This is great. There is some good stuff here, like the officer involved was an avid GZ fan during the trial per his Facebook page. And, there are no pictures of the accident scene from all those cell phones the 911 callers had. If you saw GZ at an accident scene, wouldn't you take a picture?

The accident report mentions no fire, no fire department response, and the airbags didn't even deploy.

Stay tuned kids. [insert popcorn smiley]

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Ah, conspiracies! I think we have a thread on that somewhere... :D

11. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

It's an interesting theory, which would be plausible. Perhaps if there was any proof or a reputable new source confirmed the accusations from this fringe web blog.

Also, Zimmerman wouldn't show up on the police report because he didn't witness the crash.

Finally, the Sanford PD did a thorough investigation and was undermined by the bloodthirsty masses, why wouldn't they be on Zimmermans side?

12. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Also, I got a good laugh at saying that criticism of the welfare program is racist. I must be a racist, too then.

13. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

People are so fast to jump on the racist bandwagon these days.