Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ferret

Ferret Contributing Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.

The glorious return of the weekly writing contest. (01)

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Ferret, May 29, 2007.

Okay ,guys, here goes:

The object of the weekly writing group is to promote writing on an active basis, and, as such, this contest will go on to be done weekly. For those of you who competed in the poetry contest, or those who did the ss contest way back when (and more power to you - I hope we get the same sense of awesomeness that I did, back when I did it then), this will be a pretty much mirror image of the poetry contest.

All those who submit will be eligible to vote in the contest in which their pieces are entered in, and the winner will get nothing but a warm feeling on the inside.

I will be "running it", which means I make the thread, and that's about it. I will listen to anything you have to say about the contest.
    Post you entries and questions in this thread, and i'll do the rest.
    Good luck to you all.

Theme: Dreams. (In the future, themes will be made a vague as possible to allow for more interpretation.)

Start: May 28th
    End: June 4th - I'm posting late, so you get an extra day.
    Voting : June 5th -12th
    The word limit is 500 -1250 words. This may change in the future.
    Warning: Please don't post anything you might, one day, want to get published. Just have fun, and don't post your magnum opis- you can totally screw yourself with publishers that way....I think.

...I mod in green, get used to it.

2. Targaddon

Targaddon Banned

That greens very hard to read.

3. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland Contributing Member

Highlight it then?

4. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

so, the topic, dreams. do we qrite about an actual dream, or what they feel like, or is it up to our interpretation?
    Heather

5. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Wont you be stickying the winner in the shoret story section. Hulls always stickys the winner. Works better that way we all get to see and praise the winner.

6. Ferret

The winner will get sticked, yes. Heather, just do whatever you want, so long as you can tie it into dreams in some way.

7. Heather Louise

okiee dokiee, in the middle of writing it at the moment. do you want it posting in this thread btw? just checking :)
    Heather

8. Ferret

Yes, post all entries in this thread.

9. Kit

Kit Contributing Member Contributor

Hmmm... I agree that green really is hard to read, and I struggle to read highlighted text. If I get a sudden flash of inspiration I might enter, but as it stands... I have total writer's block.

1 person likes this.
  10. The Reaper

The Reaper Banned

Dreams is a strange one for a short story competition. Maybe I'll just go over to poetry.

11. Heather Louise

My Dream :)

okiee, this is my entry. thanks for a good writing prompt, i haven't really wrote anything for ages :)
    Heather

717 words
    I sat on a cloud of the deepest blue, watching the orange sun fade to black as it hid behind the hills. The sky brimmed with stars, and a moon, no, two moons, shone into the night. I smiled at the darkness as it enveloped me. Instead of feeling scared, which I normally do once darkness falls, I felt warm, and comforted by a strong sense of protection. Jumping up from my perch, I sprang from the cloud and, instead of falling, found myself soaring through the air like an eagle. I could see for miles and miles, little cottages with burning gas lamps in the windows and a windmill nearly a thousand years old spinning gently, although there was little wind. Rising higher and higher I was back among the clouds, stretching my arms out to touch the balls of motionless fluff. They looked so real and solid, and yet when my hand grasped it, the clouds would disappear in wisps of white smoke. I laughed, a loud and joyous laugh that echoed throughout the landscape, moving rocks in the hills and disturbing people asleep below me.

When I next emerged from the comfort of the clouds I saw a bright city that was bustling with life not far below. Lights shone up into the sky and cars as small as ants whizzed down the maze like streets that ran like rivers through the buildings. And the buildings, some so tall that they nearly reached me, who was still flying. Deciding that I was bored of being so high up, and my cheeks stinging from the icy air on my face, I slowly descended towards the top of a building.

Suddenly, I was a helicopter, my blades spinning fast above my head. I landed on the helicopter zone on top of a big building. Stopping my blades and folding them back into my head, I looked for a door that would lead inside, for I was getting quite cold and wished to warm up. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a small pink doorway, just big enough for me to enter at a crawl. Bending down to fit, I opened the door and peered down what seemed to be a long corridor painted the colours of the rainbow. Crouching even further down, I set to make haste down the passageway, closing the little door behind me so that the cold could not follow. Having crawled for at least ten minutes I was as warm as toast, but no closer to the end of the tunnel. Panicking, I looked back to see that the door in which I had entered by was miles away, and the door that I was crawling to was just as far. Lying down flat on my belly, tears began to seep out from the corners of my eyes, landing with a splash on the warm floor below me.

After minutes of crying I noticed that water was tickling my chin. Looking around I wondered where the water was coming from, and I saw that there was a leak in the wall to my left. Ice cold water was dribbling from a crack in an orange stripe, and the gap was getting increasingly bigger. Panicking once more, I began crawling again, shuffling my elbows along the corridor. Behind me I heard a CRASH, and felt water surging along the passage. Before I had time to look back, a tide of water had swept me from the ground and had me soaring down the tunnel. For minutes I was carried by the current, crashing against the walls and choking many times having swallowed mouthfuls of water. The last thing I saw was the coloured corridor, flooded with rushing water, before I smacked my head of the ceiling and fell unconscious.

After a long time of black I awoke to my bedroom. My head was throbbing and my duvet was thrown across the floor at the other side of the room. Slowly sitting up, I looked in the mirror at my sleep stricken face and rubbed my eyes. Last nights make-up smeared down my cheeks. Smiling to myself as I remembered the night’s adventure, I jumped from bed and ran to the bathroom, making it just in time before my bladder burst.

1 person likes this.
  12. *water*sprite*

*water*sprite* Member

Title 1
    Ahh, my first contest entry here. :D Yay!
    I hope you like it.
    This was inspired by a picture of Ayumi Hamasaki (dear Ayu) and ironically the picture was called "inspire me Ayu" and it did!

663 words (kinda cutting it short..)

This is entitled

"Travel to the moon"

-
    Queen wore a red dress made of dying stars she plucked out of the heavens with her own two hands. Sometimes dust would hit her eyes and the entire world she knew nothing of was a kaleidoscope of standstill colors. There had been times when the stardust settled and her vision returned, while the pieces were caught in her eyelashes and no lies told she had an actual twinkle in her eyes only fairy tale creature possessed.
    The Empress of the city of Bed decided to have an enormous celebration for Queen's arrival. And so the streets were decorated with exotic fish from Queen's strange world. Anemones on every single corner, octopuses hung from streetlights, crushed coral thrown all about. A cake of enormous size was created by the finest chef's who ever lived, placing moss rose blossoms and vines of icing on the edges, little slices of watermelon in the middle, and sweet seaweed in the shape of a crabs all about. A feast was prepared and the ballroom of the Empress was adorned in blue and green streams all about. Then the best musician of the world were brought to the affair.
    The party was the fling of the century until Queen was guided into the room by the Empress. Her hair was flowing all about, seashells and starfish held it up high. Her neck was lightly covered in scales that flickered glares about them. And the dress made of stars covered her body, traveling to the ground in a puddle effect. With little feet she gingerly stepped down the stairs, leaving the Empress's hand longing for her.
    She gazed across the room with sparkling eyes of green, touching the guests costumes with her mind, she enjoyed seeing them dressed as animals in such gorgeous masks and clothing. She announced in her proud voice to her fellow partners, "I want to dance!" Throwing her arms into the air.
    The citizens slapped their hands together once in unison before the band started to play beautifully and she was pulled into the flow of movements. The music was fast then slow, always staying melodious like the sound of waves crashing against a stone wall.
    Hours passed by in a mear seconds to Queen. She talked with all the towns people, she danced her heart out, and when the cake was finally cut the Empress stood before her children and said it was time to sleep in their own homes. Queen begged and begged for her permission to allow the evening to continue, but the word of the Empress was final.
    The Empress took her to a balcony on the highest floor of her castle after the guests and their sleepy eyes had left. There the Empress pointed to several multicolored moons and planets, showing her a particular one of neutral blue and milky white. "That one, right there is your home."
    "I do not have a home," Queen replied. "I live with the stars, not a planet."
    "No, you do not, Meagan." The Empress pushed.
    "What?" Queen became uneasy at the sound of that name.
    "Meagan?" A soft voice called from the throught of the Empress.
    "No!" Queen cried in distress, trying to run but stepping on her dress causing a piece to tear out.
    "Meagan?" She called again, reaching for Queen.
    "I am not Maegan! I am not!" She screamed, falling to the ground.
    "Meagan" The voice sounded once last time.
    Then all was dark.
    All was silent.
    All was serene.
    A white light tore though eyes, and a lady in brown touched her daughter's head.
    "You've still got a fever." She said depressingly.
    "I always have a fever." Maegan replied, coughing a bit.
    "Cancer's aren't suppose to have throught cancer." The Motherly Lady confessed, "Maybe fate is laughing at us both."
    "Maybe she is just dreaming of me instead." Maegan closed her eyes, leaving her mother once again for that of another world.

13. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan Contributing Member

OH CRAP.

I thought the word limit was 500-3,500 words...I guess I mistook it for the two-month contest, or something.
    Crud, and this was a really good story, too....sigh...
    Oh, well. Now I can lengthen it out a little and post it on its own.
    I think I'll keep dipping here...not necessarily to enter the competition, but for the prompts...they're really good! Thanks for the help!

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

What are the posting and voting deadlines, please?

15. Heather Louise

Start: May 28th
    End: June 4th
    Voting : June 5th -12th

16. Ferret

Thank you, Heather. For anyone who wants to throw a theme in for the next go-round, please start sending them. I plan to start the next one towards the end of voting for this one.

17. Cogito

Blue

(813 words, but who's counting)

Brakes screamed, and the world spun as metal slammed and roared, and glass exploded. Moira’s shattered and bloodied face expanded before Kyle’s eyes as it flew toward him accusingly. He woke quaking, his heart pounding, and his bed sheets soaked with sour sweat.

Kyle climbed out of bed and stumbled to the bathroom. He splashed cold water on his face and tried to slow his breathing. In his recurring nightmare, he was always the drunk driver who had split Moira’s car in half and stolen her life. He had never seen the wrecked car, had not been able to face that horror.

The rest of the night, he lay on clammy sheets, staring at the ceiling until blackness faded into the grey of dawn. He arrived at work with eyes as red and swollen as he was sure the driver’s had been. His friend Glenn looked up as he reached his desk. “The same nightmare again?” he asked, and Kyle nodded. “Man, you’ve got to stop beating yourself up. It wasn’t your fault.”

Kyle sat heavily in his chair. “That stupid argument, over a stupid check. If I hadn’t made such a big thing of it, she wouldn’t have stormed out.”

“You’ll just make yourself nuts thinking that way. Cut yourself some slack, and put the blame where it belongs.” Glenn’s phone rang, and he turned to answer it. Kyle’s day dragged on like so many others in the months since the crash.

Exhausted as he was, sleep gathered him swiftly that night. He found himself at a table in a dark room filled with an easy babble of casual conversations. A jazz quartet was setting up to perform. At the bar, he was suddenly aware of a woman with short dark hair and an elegant deep blue dress. She turned and smiled at him, and he was startled by the intensity of her eyes the color of sapphires. He blushed and looked away, and thought instead of Moira’s smiling face framed with auburn waves. When he looked up, the woman was no longer at the bar.

Then he felt firm hands on his shoulders. A warm breath washed over his ear and he felt a soft kiss on his cheek. Kyle opened his eyes to darkness. He stretched his hand to the empty side of the bed beside him, and thought of Moira until he fell back into a dreamless slumber.

The next day went smoothly. He was well rested, but he was unable to keep last night’s dream from his thoughts. He told Glenn about the dream at lunch.

Glenn focused his gaze on his sandwich. “I stopped telling you that you need to move on. Sometimes I thought you were going to hit me for saying it.”

Kyle looked at him. “I’m sorry. It just seemed, well, wrong. She’s dead. I really loved her. Love her.”

“I know. But do you think she wanted you to just stop living? Do you think that would make her happy?”

Saying nothing, Kyle finished his meal, and they returned to the office. He thought about what Glenn had said, and for once, he didn’t feel an argument building in his head.

That night, he found himself in the jazz club once more. The bar seat was empty, but then the same woman strode to it as it were hers exclusively. She seated herself, and turned toward Kyle. Again he was pierced by startlingly blue eyes that seemed to pin his soul like a butterfly on a display board. He held her gaze, then looked away again, ashamed but intrigued. Soon after, he felt her behind him. She slid her hands down his arms to grasp his hands. “I’m waiting,” she whispered to him, and he woke again. He drifted back to a dreamless sleep.

The next night, Kyle again found himself in the intimate club, listening to the smooth smoky sounds of the jazz quartet. But the mysterious woman never appeared. In the morning, Kyle opened his eyes, and was surprised to feel a lingering disappointment.

As he drove to work, he thought again of his conversation with Glenn. He knew inside that he loved Moira, and always would. Still, maybe there would be room for someone else in his heart, someday. He found a space in the parking garage and walked the two blocks to the office building’s lobby.

Kyle boarded the elevator, and the doors began to close. “Hold please!” Kyle reached out and tagged the doors, and they opened again. As the woman stepped into the elevator, Kyle found himself looking at a pair of brilliant blue eyes. She turned back toward the doors, but after a moment turned back around and looked back at him, curiously. “I know how this sounds, but do I know you? You seem familiar somehow.”

He smiled softly. “No. I’d remember. Hi. I’m Kyle.”

1 person likes this.
  18. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan Contributing Member

Wow, all of these are fantastic! (Water sprite's in particular blew me away.)
    Are we allowed to vote even if we didn't post a story?

(Also, because I'm always shameless enough for shameless advertising: To see the story I was originally going to post in this topic, go here: http://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=3864.)

19. Ferret

Anyone can vote, really...

20. Cogito

How about Isolation?

21. *water*sprite*

*water*sprite* Member

Have I ever told you that I love you?
    You know, you're cool. (I just a happy dance *gig*gig*)
    :D
    :D

How's about cards?
    Playing cards, the cards from Alice in Wonderland, Tarot cards, deck of cards, buissness cards, pick a cards, card games, 52 pickup! Any any any card.
    [::] <-soggy card. (or soggy cracker)

1 person likes this.
  22. Ferret

Alright, guys, the voting starts tomorrow at noon, ferret time.

23. Ferret

Voting in a few

24. Raven

Raven Banned

LOL Your obsessed with Cards. I have already selected your theme for the weekly poetry contest.

~Raven.

25. Ferret

New one in a few...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.