1. Masterforger

Masterforger New Member

Tower of Darkness, 15 Doom and Gloom road

Skulduggery Pleasant

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Masterforger, Dec 17, 2011.

I'm sure some of you adventurous writers have read these amazing books, written by the astounding, derek-tastic Derek Landy.
    I, for one, love the humor, and the mix of dark and light muddled into Skulduggery's conscience.
    But enough about me, what do you think of the books? Also you may discuss the books, characters and what-nots here

PS If you say I didn't search the forums for another thread like this, I did. It is because of your useless search power that i didn't find anything, so don't blame me if there's another thread like this! :D

2. Question

Question Active Member

I'm a fan, for a children's series it was pretty good. Very witty characters and interesting concepts. Though I actualy never finished the series just read to the third book.

3. ThinkingCliché

ThinkingCliché New Member

I must admit, I am a very big fan of the Skulduggery Pleasant series and am proud to say I have read every book! Derek Landy's ability to include as much wit and humour into his books as he does is really something to behold. However personally, I think that Derek Landy has lost many readers from his choice of front covers for his books. It seems many people were put off by the skulls/scary things that were featured on the covers. This also resulted in a lot of older readers being put off as well since it looks like something a young boy would like, if you know what I mean.
    Classic example of people judging books by their covers!

4. Masterforger

Masterforger New Member

People being put off by the covers? That sounds just stupid. And if they didn't want the "skulls and scary stuff", they probably shouldn't be reading a book where the character is a skeleton detective, and perhaps should read instead "Little Bear", or maybe some weaker Paul Jennings.
    I don't see how this is scary;
    [​IMG]

Ok fine. Maybe a bit. But still.

5. ThinkingCliché

ThinkingCliché New Member

Fair point, although I dont think its the fact that the cover scares them its the fact that it doesn't look like a book that could be so..witty. Kind of reminds me of those books that the really little kids read but the size ( as in the amount of pages ) cancels that out. I dont know, maybe its different where you live I just know many of my friends didnt read the series cause of the covers. (Which I know is stupid)
    Anyways, dont want to get into a huge debate and personally I like the covers and don't really give a damn whether people read it or not.

6. Masterforger

Masterforger New Member

Maybe they should just go for Skulduggery on the cover, black everywhere else, and more witty comments. "Kicking Evil Very Hard In The Face" is quite cheesy and boring. Mortal Coil's "Gripping" was a much better comment.

7. Cacian

Cacian Banned

You cannot make assumptions like this about readers young or old.
    The cover is quite dreary even for a teenager.
    I find quite off putting and word like
    DEATH SKUL
    EVIL
    KICKIN HARD in THE FACE
    are all words that in fact reminds me of bullying.
    People have different experience with words.
    I for one would not by this for any outspoken grown up young adult because of the effect it has already had on me as an adult.
    I would not dare thin what it would do to a child/teenager.
    I am an adult and looking just at the way the cover is made and the words that stood out I will definetely would pass on it.
    Books are very personal to people and to assume that everyone is into violence horror and grim is undermining the reader.
    This kind of imageries and words can play up on people's mind and shroud their imagination.