The Good and the Bad

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Chinspinner, Feb 11, 2015.

1. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Or Snoopy

2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

I was more pissed off when The Crystal Maze became National Treasure. Or how Noel's House Party became Project X.

matwoolf likes this.
  3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

H8ers gonna h8!

Sorry, I'm being just plain silly. Honestly though, I don't see much hate here.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  4. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

I don’t know.

I don’t always mean to be mister over positive with my opinion so I do apologize if I do end up sounding like that. But I don’t really think it’s that big of a deal. Yes we all get pissed when they remake our favorite stuff and turn it into crap or whatever.

But I forget who said it.

Some author I think but someone asked this author who had a film made of his book. "How could you let them ruin your book like that?" (I assume the movie was terrible) and the author pointed at his shelf and said. "My books are right there, they are fine."

Its best to live by a motto like that when it comes to adaptations and remakes if they are bad or you don't like them.

Cause they ain't going anywhere. I mean certainly complain and vent but at the end of the day I highly doubt its going to be the end of everything that has worth in the movie world and let alone in art in general or say things are at their worst.

Now they might be bad and they might not be but that's all from POV. There are more people on the planet then ever before and with so many more people that means many more artists and creative types around.

And if I may be honest.

I like most of the movies you all threw out there. Come on .....who doesn't like Mrs. Doubtfire or at least you should if you grew up with it. It is good to critique things as its important to always improve but come on folks we are living in the age were every single writer, director, musicians, painters and every other kinda artist has to contend with those that came before.

And A LOT has come before XD

Yes you should do your best to be original but there certainly isn't any fault in taking great amounts inspiration. And ya know? If a brainless action movie can put millions of people in a seat then maybe its not completely brainless. I honestly do think casual people are a lot smarter then some would give credit for, heck if the Ancient Greece had our technology....I don't think its so wild to bet we'd see big budget superhero and action movies out of the Greek gods :p. The most important thing is to respect and teach the works of passed creators to.....well to everyone

There will always be art for both entertainment and thought or heck I'd like to think they are slowly going to become one. Heck if we split hairs a lot this deep discussion we are all having are brought on mostly by remake and adaptions. So in a way even if something is bad it can still be good in a sense it might teach you something new.

I didn't know what Les Cage Aux Folles was till this thread.

Don't let things you don't like about current movies or books bog you down to much. In fact it should inspire you to create something that you wanna see and get it out in the public for the world to see! :D

My final thought is.

That and nobody take this personally but we are just like everybody else (Part of the mass public) and I don't mean that in a rude way but .....I know I'm not the only one who would go see a movie adaptation of Hungry, Hungry Hippos and if not that if someone was making a crappy movie about your favorite board game you'd probably go see it or at least watch on Netflix or something.

Though

I do think television is currently producing more creative things then the movie industry mainly when it comes to miniseries such as True Detective and Fargo (which is a great movie and now a great show)

But I do understand where a lot of you all are coming from.....cause dem remakes and adaptations can be reeeeeeeeeeal bad!

5. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

If only the authors who object to fanfiction had the same common sense.

6. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Nice try, bud!

7. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

I've heard a lot of author's say it, but the two that spring to mind are George RRRRR R. R. Martin and Philip Pullman. I agree with them, take the money and run.

However, with Philip Pullman, and I am not just saying this, the film did ruin the book. It has planted certain discrepancies in my head between my imagination and the awful version of events in the film. It is the only book I've ever gone back to after watching the film, and I was unable to read it, the character's were tainted by the miscasting in the film.

I am not sure if the same would be true if I went back and tried to reread other novels turned movies. I might try it one day to find out.

8. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Its understandable if an author objects to fan fiction. I don't mind it myself but its perfectly reasonable why someone would. I don't think its common sense issue. Just a beat of the drum for some people. I can see why an author would be against their work being used in a manner that they didn't dictate and that's perfectly reasonable choice.

Same goes for any author who rejects selling their book to a movie studio or anything like that out of the same reasons.

Nothing but respect for those people.

Aw

I'm sorry it ruined the book for you. I've yet to have an issue like that myself though it seems common among some of us readers and writers. When reading or watching something, normally if I've seen the movie first or read the book first I prefer to wait at least a year till its out of my head to read or watch the other version. Like I've always been able to fully keep both apart in my mind with enough time between us or just whenever sometimes.

Guess it all depends who you are and or how much time has passed, maybe?

9. kfmiller

kfmiller Active Member

The only movie that stands out to me as being far superior to the book is Jaws. I hated that fucking book.

Chinspinner likes this.
  10. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I like that book. It has a sexy bit, a precious half page, quite necessary back in the day, Harold Robbins, Lesley Thomas etcetera.

11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I get the impression you'd be at home on Team Edward.

[​IMG]

Swiveltaffy and 123456789 like this.
  12. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Love it

Steerpike likes this.
  13. Artist369

Artist369 Active Member

There are too many stories in the world to worry about who you are accidentally "copying". People will find correlations because that's what our minds are prone to do, look for patterns, draw conclusions based on our own personal experience as a reader. That doesn't mean that no creativity went into your work when you write. Or should we never write again because every story dynamic has been done before in some form?

14. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas has to be one of my favourite movie adaptations. I often thought Johnny Depp was Hunter S. Thompson when watching it.

15. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

The two do look alike, don't they? In the whole get-up?

outsider likes this.